Recent/upcoming steel changes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

Recent/upcoming steel changes

Post by awa54 »

So I have two questions here; first off why switch the Native to S30V instead of switching everything else to S35VN? I slightly prefer S35VN, although the differences are minimal.

Next, will the switch to BD1N be for all US made models, all BD1 models from any origin, or is it just for the UKPK?

If the basic Manix 2 LW is going to get the upgrade, is there a guess as to when those will hit the shelves so to speak?
Last edited by awa54 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Frozenspyder

Re: Recent/upcoming steel changes

Post by Frozenspyder »

My guess is that s30v is considerably cheaper/easier to work with than s35vn. It's probably a cost vs performance thing.

I don't know about the bd1n though. I'd also like to know which models are getting it.
sal

Post by sal »

We will more than likely change to BD1N for all models. Still deciding on S30V / S35VN.

sal
phaust

Post by phaust »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:06 am
My guess is that s30v is considerably cheaper/easier to work with than s35vn. It's probably a cost vs performance thing.

I don't know about the bd1n though. I'd also like to know which models are getting it.
S35vn is by design an easier to work with s30v
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Phaust-
Interesting. I learn more here every day. I wonder why s35vn isn't more common then. I'm sure they had a good reason to switch to s30v for the native, at any rate.

Sal-
Good to know about the bd1n. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I would conjecture that if S35V is only marginally “better” than S30V and more difficult (therefore costly) to work with, Spyderco would stay with S30V. That ignores the marketing potential of offering an “upgraded”steel at a higher price to cover their added manufacturing cost.

I like BD1N and am glad it will replace other basic steel. My limited experience is that I can get it a bit sharper for longer.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I wonder if there is a supply problem with S35VN? Still, the slight differences in the steel (regardless of all the hype) may not make it worthwhile to utilize since it is not significantly different. From a dollars and cents standpoint, it makes more sense to stick with one or the other, not both S30V and S35VN.

As for the BD1N, I am actually quite excited to be able to try this steel. I have never used it. I want a Manix 2 LW so I can compare apples to apples.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Thanks for the info Sal!
-David

p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

sal wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:22 am
We will more than likely change to BD1N for all models. Still deciding on S30V / S35VN.

sal
Oh man, a Polestar in BD1N. The recent threads about its ergonomics have peaked my interest, and an upgraded, easy to maintain steel will only make me want it more.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

S30V vs S35VN
According to the producer of these steels, Crucible,
S35VN is 20% tougher than S30V in the Charpy C notch test.
Catra wear resistance testing is equal.
Corrosion resistance is equal.
S35VN is easier to machine in its annealed state than S30V.
Target hardness for both is 58-61 hrc.
Recommended Heat treatments are the same.

http://www.crucible.com/PDFs/DataSheets ... 202010.pdf
http://www.crucible.com/PDFs/DataSheets ... v12010.pdf
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

This creates a tough decision. Do I buy a polestar now in case they end up being discontinued or wait for a bd1n model?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

sal wrote:

sal
I must be missing some earlier conversation here.

Is the “S30V / S35VN” distinction meant to suggest we will have only one of them in future? And, therefore, that BD1N Is destined just “for all models” now in BD1?

I can’t imagine S30x ever falling out of Spyderco’s favor unless Crucible has signaled it will raise prices once imported steels get more expensive under tariffs. But then, why wouldn’t Carpenter do the same?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:08 pm
This creates a tough decision. Do I buy a polestar now in case they end up being discontinued or wait for a bd1n model?
I think when they are gone there will be no more. Too many people won’t spend the extra $20USD for it over a Tenacious. A completely irrational decision because that is two six packs, or a movie for two or a basic cheap dinner out.

You actually have to have one for a short while to appreciate what a well made and refined design it is. I would think that this is also true of the Alcyone. I wanted a bigger knife to compliment my smaller ones so,I got the Polestar. Either are excellent but under appreciated knives so they probably won’t be making them again. I’d say get one while you can.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I just got my first bd1 knife, the Polestar, and I'm happy to say I like this stuff. Very similar to vg10. In fact, i think it gets less of a wire edge than vg10. I'm very interested in trying bd1n now, especially if the put it out in a g10 handle model.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

Thanks, MichaelScott. I appreciate your input. I think I'll have to pick up a polestar soon. It sounds like it's not a model I'd want to miss out on.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Frozenspyder wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:23 pm
Thanks, MichaelScott. I appreciate your input. I think I'll have to pick up a polestar soon. It sounds like it's not a model I'd want to miss out on.
You are welcome. I hope you like it as much as I do. After you’ve had it for a while I think you will appreciate the design quality of it.

Team Innovation
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

sal wrote:
We will more than likely change to BD1N for all models.
That's fantastic. Manix LW in BD1N is going to be an auto-buy for me. I can't wait to compare this steel in the platform I have the most time one with other steels.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Adding my vote in for S30v over S35vn.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

When changing steels I believe it is vital that the upc and/or model # is changed. It is creating great confusion and dissapointment among dealers and customers when a model is changed substanially with no change to the upc or model #. Look at the chaos created with the Mass Drop Blue Box Native. I am trying to track down a pre-CQI S35VN G10 Native with stainless liners. A lot of dealers still have S35VN with Stainless liners in their description, but the actual inventory they have is post CQI and has the S30V blade and linerless G10. I ordered a Native from UnitedOutdoors and stated in the best offer to only accept if it was the S35VN version they would sending me. They accepted and sent me the S30V version and seem confused as heck as when I tried to explain the change and that they need to look at the physical knife for a stamp of S35VN to know which knives they actually have in inventory.

If im putting myself in the dealers shoes, if i had 100 S35VN Natives in stock and received a new batch of 100 S30V knives with the same code it would be a nightmare. Id have to create a new listing for the same UPC and have two different steels and sell them simultaneously. Then store them separately and have them clearly labeled as to which ones were S30V amd which ones were S35VN.

Maybe it isnt as hard as Im making it out to be, but trying to track down an actual pre-CQI S35VN Native G10 has proven difficult, especially when a lot of dealers are still listing this model as having S35VN and only have S30V in stock.

tl/dr - please issue a new UPC and/or Model # when making a permanent steel change to an existing model to avoid confusion
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
awa54

Post by awa54 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:29 am
When changing steels I believe it is vital that the upc and/or model # is changed. It is creating great confusion and dissapointment among dealers and customers when a model is changed substanially with no change to the upc or model #. Look at the chaos created with the Mass Drop Blue Box Native. I am trying to track down a pre-CQI S35VN G10 Native with stainless liners. A lot of dealers still have S35VN with Stainless liners in their description, but the actual inventory they have is post CQI and has the S30V blade and linerless G10. I ordered a Native from UnitedOutdoors and stated in the best offer to only accept if it was the S35VN version they would sending me. They accepted and sent me the S30V version and seem confused as heck as when I tried to explain the change and that they need to look at the physical knife for a stamp of S35VN to know which knives they actually have in inventory.

If im putting myself in the dealers shoes, if i had 100 S35VN Natives in stock and received a new batch of 100 S30V knives with the same code it would be a nightmare. Id have to create a new listing for the same UPC and have two different steels and sell them simultaneously. Then store them separately and have them clearly labeled as to which ones were S30V amd which ones were S35VN.

Maybe it isnt as hard as Im making it out to be, but trying to track down an actual pre-CQI S35VN Native G10 has proven difficult, especially when a lot of dealers are still listing this model as having S35VN and only have S30V in stock.

tl/dr - please issue a new UPC and/or Model # when making a permanent steel change to an existing model to avoid confusion

Think of the poor sods who want a linerless S35VN N5!!
-David