Polestar and alcyone

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Daveho

Polestar and alcyone

Postby Daveho » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:52 pm

For my next purchase I’m looking at buying one of these two-
I haven’t tried spydercos BD1 and I think these two may get overlooked a great deal.
Those who have them what do you think, extra points for pictures.

knivesandbooks

Re: Polestar and alcyone

Postby knivesandbooks » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:28 pm

Well you know I just bought the polestar. I think it is fantastic so far. Ergos are great for me and the action was smooth after a day. The steel responds well to stropping. I'll be reprofiling this weekend to really get a better sense but it seems good. Seems tough too. I've wanted to try bd1 for awhile but hadn't been able to pick a model that seemed right until this one. I was thinking of it as a budget sage but it really stands out on its own. If spyderco discontinues the pair, I'm hopping on the alcyone.
Most used lately: SE Jazz Delica, Police 4, Chaparral Titanium, Slsyz Bowie

Spydergirl88

Postby Spydergirl88 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:39 am

The Alcyone is wonderful
:spyder: Current Favorites: Mantra 3 & Junction :spyder:

Surfingringo

Postby Surfingringo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:55 am

I bought a Polestar a few months ago and I think it’s a very well executed and useful design. The steel sharpens easily and performs well and the nadir ergos are great. Mine came a bit stiff and though it’s loosened up significantly it still isn’t quite quite as smooth as I like. It’s still plenty “flickable”, it just requires a fair bit of shaking to close when the lock bar is pressed. It will probably loosen up more over time.

I flattened the spine on mine and prefer the “paramilitary” style blade shape to that of the leaf blade that it comes with, but to each his own.

abbazaba

Postby abbazaba » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:50 am

That looks great with the flat spine! You might have just sold one.

Daveho

Postby Daveho » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:55 pm

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:55 am
I bought a Polestar a few months ago and I think it’s a very well executed and useful design. The steel sharpens easily and performs well and the nadir ergos are great. Mine came a bit stiff and though it’s loosened up significantly it still isn’t quite quite as smooth as I like. It’s still plenty “flickable”, it just requires a fair bit of shaking to close when the lock bar is pressed. It will probably loosen up more over time.

I flattened the spine on mine and prefer the “paramilitary” style blade shape to that of the leaf blade that it comes with, but to each his own.

Haha I do the same to my opinel.
Great photo thanks

Daveho

Postby Daveho » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:56 pm

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:39 am
The Alcyone is wonderful
That’s my preference currently for size

MichaelScott

Postby MichaelScott » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:12 pm

Just came from SFO with a new Polestar. I think this a quality design for a fantastic price.
There are two kinds of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete information.

http://theacehotel.wordpress.com

Chaparral FRN, Para Military 2 S30V, One-Eyed Jack, Rhino, Lil’ Native, Lil’ Lum, Roadie, Dragonfly H1 SE Hawkbill

Daveho

Postby Daveho » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:27 pm

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:12 pm
Just came from SFO with a new Polestar. I think this a quality design for a fantastic price.
I was going to spend my dollars on a book from the US..
Book is $52 then the shipping is a super reasonable $57 to get it here but I think I’m going to buy another knife instead lol

MichaelScott

Postby MichaelScott » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:31 pm

That’s basically outrageous. Unless it’s FexX overnight. Lol
There are two kinds of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete information.

Chaparral FRN, Para Military 2 S30V, One-Eyed Jack, Rhino, Lil’ Native, Lil’ Lum, Roadie, Dragonfly H1 SE Hawkbill

Daveho

Postby Daveho » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:55 pm

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:31 pm
That’s basically outrageous. Unless it’s FexX overnight. Lol
I wish-
That’s just shipping to Australia..
probably take a a few weeks to get here-

On considering these two blades more I’m actually looking more at the Byrd lineup and specifically the crow 2- it’s about 30% cheaper for the equivalent model and I don’t see spydercos range offering enough to justify the markup-

kodai78

Postby kodai78 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:50 pm

I like the look of these 2 very much. I have a Manix LW with BD 1 and I really like the steel.
Incoming: :( In House.:spyder: Spydiechef, Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santorum, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder: Wish list Shaman, Chef’s knife

MichaelScott

Postby MichaelScott » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:20 am

Got this Ploestar at SFO yesterday. I think it is the most unappreciated Sal Glesser design and for the refinements and steel involved it is more than worth the slight increase over, for example, the Tenacious and similar Byrd knives. Functionally, it’s as good as your average PM2 I would say.

My guess is that if it had different G10, a slightly different blade shape, similar to Lance’s modification, and a different name, it would be more appreciated than it is. But, and I say this knowing I will be flamed by some, subtlety is unappreciated by a few. I’m not a master of it by any definition, but age as forced a certain amount on me.

knivesandbooks

Postby knivesandbooks » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:48 pm

I agree with Michael. If they made this model in Taichung with peel ply carbon fiber, with s30v, m4, or something similar, and charged $150-180, people would be all about this knife.
Most used lately: SE Jazz Delica, Police 4, Chaparral Titanium, Slsyz Bowie

J D Wijbenga

Postby J D Wijbenga » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:27 am

I wrote a review for NemoKnivesReviewon the Alcyone. You can read it here.

spyderwolf

Postby spyderwolf » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:14 am

I love the Polestar so much i just bought a second one to keep as a safe queen.Like Michael said,it's the most unappreciated knife Sal designed,but once you get one in hand,you will hold on to it.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”