Against the grain...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Re: Against the grain...

Post by GarageBoy »

Lots of people who use pocket knives in the kitchen are missing the whole world of exotic Japanese steels in awesome geometry

Too many knives have become Instagram lifestyle jewelry

If your knife is sharp, just trim the end of the cigar on top of the cap... The only reason I need a cutter is for torpedos - the Wenger scissors are a great idea, but with crap quality
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:24 am
In the US, where I live, recycling bins are only emptied twice a month, there are no bins for plant matter, and it's against the rules of the HOA (Home Owners Association) to leave trash anywhere besides inside your house or in a bin. It's a lot more practical to break down big boxes than the alternative.
Come to Oz Viv, you'll love it. :)

We wouldn't have rules if we couldn't break them and you'll never have to cut up cardboard again because your neighbours bin is your bin. ;)

I'll teach you the language, you can teach me how to sharpen serrations and stop driving on the wrong side of the road. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:39 pm
Vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:24 am
In the US, where I live, recycling bins are only emptied twice a month, there are no bins for plant matter, and it's against the rules of the HOA (Home Owners Association) to leave trash anywhere besides inside your house or in a bin. It's a lot more practical to break down big boxes than the alternative.
Come to Oz Viv, you'll love it. :)

We wouldn't have rules if we couldn't break them and you'll never have to cut up cardboard again because your neighbours bin is your bin. ;)

I'll teach you the language, you can teach me how to sharpen serrations and stop driving on the wrong side of the road. :cool:
I wouldn't be opposed to doing a bike tour down there. If I ever do, I'll give you a ring :)
GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:18 pm
Too many knives have become Instagram lifestyle jewelry
This x1000. It feels like finding a unicorn when I see a photo of a knife that's been used, and shows it. I don't have any other hobby where people routinely spend thousands of dollars to put things on a shelf and have them look cute. I think users are much more interesting to look at. They tell stories new knives don't.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

supracor wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:17 pm
Who the ???? would buy a $ 1000 cigar cutter?
No need for bad language. ;)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I get that a well worn knife has character and beater knives certainly have their place in the world.... My knives are definitely jewelry, the colored handles, shiny clips, carbon fiber, pakkawood..... But they are tools too, they don't sit on a shelf, they get carried and used.

Isn't it possible to both use a knife AND keep it looking nice? Do I really have to beat on a knife and visibly damage it before it's considered a user? Why can't it be pocket jewelry and a functional tool like a nice watch? I don't use my knives as scrapers, pry bars, or screwdrivers (I have a little tool on my keychain for that), but there is no cutting task that I won't use even my fanciest knives for.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
supracor

Post by supracor »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:56 pm
supracor wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:17 pm
Who the ???? would buy a $ 1000 cigar cutter?
No need for bad language. ;)
So sorry dear friend :)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

supracor wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:30 pm
[So sorry dear friend :)
All good! :cool:

Just something we don't do. :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:23 pm
I don't use my knives as scrapers, pry bars, or screwdrivers (I have a little tool on my keychain for that), but there is no cutting task that I won't use even my fanciest knives for.
I carry a Micra for that :D

If you can use your knife and keep it looking new, more power to you I suppose. Don't know how you do it. I can slice one cardboard box with some grit embedded in it and see light scratches on a satin finish blade. I can carry a folder IWB for a day and see corrosion start to form. I can sharpen it once and see a different scratch pattern on the bevel than how it looks from the factory. I'll tighten the pivot screw once and there will be a brighter spot on the screw from where pressure was applied. Carbon blades will see light discoloration after cutting up some food once. So my knives stop passing for NIB after less than a week of carry, typically.
Why can't it be pocket jewelry and a functional tool like a nice watch?
It can be, but apparently I'm going against the grain in having no interest in jewelry of any sort, despite being in this hobby. Seems most feel the opposite. There are plenty of handle materials that I think look better than FRN, but few I'd choose over it because it has the lightness, strength, and ability to be injection molded that I like. The only watch I've used was purchased with nothing but functionality in mind.
supracor

Post by supracor »

Now are 2:00 am here in Italy.
It has nothing to do with it, I know that :rolleyes:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I like to keep my knives clean, sharp and in good condition. I use them all. They look nice and I like that. Eventually they all show signs of wear and use but that is no excuse for not maintaining them as well as you can. I don’t buy cheap knives. It’s economically and functionally stupid. Knives are fundamental tools and, in my view, should be treated with respect and care.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:25 pm
I like to keep my knives clean, sharp and in good condition. I use them all. They look nice and I like that. Eventually they all show signs of wear and use but that is no excuse for not maintaining them as well as you can. I don’t buy cheap knives. It’s economically and functionally stupid. Knives are fundamental tools and, in my view, should be treated with respect and care.
I keep my edges sharp and my pivots oiled, but I'm not going to waste my time polishing out scratches on the blade when I could be wasting it talking about knives online :D
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

You can do both. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
willc

Post by willc »

I go against the grain when it comes to steels.
I love 8cr, BD1, Aus8, VG10 and other lowly steels.

These steels are great because they get sharp easily and I enjoy sharpening.
I also enjoy all the fancy steels that Spyderco releases also, still need to try Maxemet, and seeing how they all compare.

Also I’ve never bought a Spyderco flipper and kinda doubt I ever will.
They just aren’t my thing.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:41 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
I keep my edges sharp and my pivots oiled, but I'm not going to waste my time polishing out scratches on the blade when I could be wasting it talking about knives online :D
uh huh. I'll add to that - I don't clean the scales just because they get dingy :)
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I'm not sure why, but I dislike laminated steels. Or at least how common they've become lately.

I like heavy knives. If they could combine the texture of G10 with the weight of a stainless handle, I'd be in love.

I don't see the point in keeping my boxes. My knives are tools, not investments. I don't intend to trade or sell them so the boxes have no value to me.

I prefer the Byrd line over the Spyderco value folders.

And lastly, I don't have any preference at all as to clip type or position.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Daveho wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:10 am
-Steels don’t matter when your knife doesn’t leave your “knife safe” AKA sock draw.

-titanium is unnecessary and expensive

-Damascus looks crap

-the fact that spyderco won’t supply internals on models with known issues like the Mantra is dumb.
Given the number of stainless steel liners I've had rust on Spydercos, I have to disagree. If, like me, you want a Spyderco with flow through construction, and one that wont rust, titanium is a necessity and the added expense isn't terrible.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

ugaarguy wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:27 am
Daveho wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:10 am
-Steels don’t matter when your knife doesn’t leave your “knife safe” AKA sock draw.

-titanium is unnecessary and expensive

-Damascus looks crap

-the fact that spyderco won’t supply internals on models with known issues like the Mantra is dumb.
Given the number of stainless steel liners I've had rust on Spydercos, I have to disagree. If, like me, you want a Spyderco with flow through construction, and one that wont rust, titanium is a necessity and the added expense isn't terrible.
Keep your knives clean and a basic protective film will get you out of trouble.
People have used blades in corrosive conditions for quite a long time prior to titanium components
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MichaelScott wrote:
This echoes my sentiment. :cool:

Inevitably my favourite knives end up with battle scars even if I baby them but they’re always cleaned after use, tuned as required and one of the reasons I like knives I can disassemble so much. :)
npad69

Post by npad69 »

i use my folder 50% of the time for food prep and the other 50% opening food packaging for prepping when im away from home. i always carry a small MT for other stuff.

i cringe at patinas

i have always despised carbon/tool steels or any steel that rusts or patina no matter how wear-resistant or tough their steel are. this all changed when i tried cruwear and got impressed by it due to its corrosion-resistant properties. it is now the only tool steel i use in my folders.

i hate serrated edges because i hate the way it diverts the cut to the left

i only dislike H1 because it is not offered as FFG in any of its models

in my country, we don't cut up boxes for disposal/recycling. we open up the top and bottom flaps by neatly cutting the packaging tape so they can be folded neatly for storage where it can be reused in the future to store other stuff.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I like tip down a lot, depending on the knife.....