Against the grain...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Against the grain...

Post by vivi »

Bodog wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:37 pm
Vivi, daveho, please start your own thread instead of messing this one up any more. I'm asking as a gentleman to what i assume are two other gentlemen.
I'm far from a gentleman, but you're the OP and asked nicely, so I'll take my leave of this thread.
:unicorn
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Bodog wrote:
Vivi, daveho, please start your own thread instead of messing this one up any more. I'm asking as a gentleman to what i assume are two other gentlemen.
Absolutely not!
All must agree with me, in this, the unpopular opinion thread.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Bodog wrote:
Yes. Please.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
juggler

Post by juggler »

I don't like - and don't use - pocket clips. Which means I particularly dislike 4-way clips and all these ugly screw holes

Super steels that add cost, require more maintenance and are less corrosion resistant: why are they called "super steels" again?

I'm not very fond of finger choils... and yet my favorite Spydercos are the Native and the Dragonfly. Go figure

Serrations? Meh...

All locks are OK in my book, as long as they are done right

Of all the steels I have tried so far, CTS-XHP is my favorite; but I have no problem with VG10... or even 8Cr13MoV

I sell the knives I don't use. Even the orange Dodo had to go

I like colors: I don't think I'll ever buy a black knife again. And I'll never buy a gray one

Using folders for food prep? Are you insane?

Carbon steel on a folder? Seriously?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:49 pm
Flicking. I cannot stand flicking blades.

What Dan said.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:55 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:49 pm
Flicking. I cannot stand flicking blades.

What Dan said.
Yep- flicking gets me too- knives arnt fidget toys.
Here the police call that brandishing a weapon.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Sí, no hablo flicking. When I see someone whip out a knife and flick it open “ka-snap” it usually says, “hey, look at how cool I am.” While this may not be the flicker’s intent it certainly signals that message to everyone around. I’m not saying don’t flick your knife, there are certainly a few million flippers, assisted openers and flickable knives out there and l have had a few.

I guess what I am getting at is that the flipper/flicker craze has overshadowed functional knife design, creating a ton of poorly designed knives with springs, flipper tabs and ball bearings that are only there to make them fly out of the handle. I mean, what’s the point if it isn’t to impress other people?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think some of you guys take some of this stuff way too seriously lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:52 am
+100,000,000
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I forgot in my last post, but I hate assisted openers. I don't need help opening my knives so I don't need a more complicated/ more expensive design with more parts to break.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:23 pm
I get that a well worn knife has character and beater knives certainly have their place in the world.... My knives are definitely jewelry, the colored handles, shiny clips, carbon fiber, pakkawood..... But they are tools too, they don't sit on a shelf, they get carried and used.

Isn't it possible to both use a knife AND keep it looking nice? Do I really have to beat on a knife and visibly damage it before it's considered a user? Why can't it be pocket jewelry and a functional tool like a nice watch? I don't use my knives as scrapers, pry bars, or screwdrivers (I have a little tool on my keychain for that), but there is no cutting task that I won't use even my fanciest knives for.
I agree with this 100%. I'm exactly the same way. I currently have 10 and use them all. I try to have some different steels and different scale materials and colors. I like variety! I really only have 1 or 2 that if something were to go wrong with, I wouldn't be too upset. But still, even those 2 and any of my others...EVERYDAY after carrying, I'll wipe them down with a lysol wipe because I'm a bit of a germ freak. Scales and blade to remove whatever tape/packaging gunk built up throughout the day. Plus I also use them for food, so I want them to be clean. I'll touch them up on fine and ultra fine stones depending how much they were used that day, then they go right back on my display stands, ready to go, clean and sharp for the next day I choose that particular knife.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Evil D wrote:

No, we don’t. Probably why we can’t import what we want now... if that’s what you were even talking about. I’m not very awake.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jazz wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:27 pm
Evil D wrote:

No, we don’t. Probably why we can’t import what we want now.

Well that's a whole different subject. I'm not gonna mention anything in particular because I'm not trying to call people out but some of these are so silly I'm surprised anyone cares enough to be bothered by them. I guess we all have our hangups.
~David
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:31 pm
Jazz wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Well that's a whole different subject. I'm not gonna mention anything in particular because I'm not trying to call people out but some of these are so silly I'm surprised anyone cares enough to be bothered by them. I guess we all have our hangups.
Sorry for bugging you with lighthearted thoughts that are odd to most. I thought it would be entertaining, all of us talking about our own quirky ideas and oddball opinions and off the wall habits. I find it quite entertaining reading about others' ideas that i may have never thought about before, like using the edge of your car window or the bottom of your coffee mug to temporarily fix an edge or even sharpen it if necessary.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Bodog wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:36 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:31 pm
Jazz wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Sorry for bugging you with lighthearted thoughts that are odd to most. I thought it would be entertaining, all of us talking about our own quirky ideas and oddball opinions and off the wall habits. I find it quite entertaining reading about others' ideas that i may have never thought about before.
Somehow I just knew you'd have some smartass comment about that. Yes clearly I'm bothered by it, that's why I didn't go through one by one quoting and arguing with the ones I thought are silly.

YOU take this stuff way too seriously.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I thought this thread was a good idea and a great way to broaden our understanding of this hobby. We all come at this hobby from different angles and gaining new perspective and new understanding is usually a good thing.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:26 am
I guess what I am getting at is that the flipper/flicker craze has overshadowed functional knife design, creating a ton of poorly designed knives with springs, flipper tabs and ball bearings that are only there to make them fly out of the handle. I mean, what’s the point if it isn’t to impress other people?
I think it's a faster easier way to open a knife than a regular thumb open. And I do like showing off in front of my good friends, but in public I don't flick open knives cause I don't want to scare the "normal folk" or have them think I've got a switch blade. Mostly I flick the knife open and closed when I'm working by myself. I will say that I find the fast opening and closing action of the Para 3 to be very functional, but I get what you're saying. I think I made a comment on the forum a while back about the market having reached "peak flipper", the trend is still going strong though, so perhaps I was wrong.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:03 pm
I thought this thread was a good idea and a great way to broaden our understanding of this hobby. We all come at this hobby from different angles and gaining new perspective and new understanding is usually a good thing.

Yeah I didn't realize I was raining on the parade, just struck me as a little odd how adamant some are about small things. I thought I was doing good by not quoting anyone and arguing. I guess I missed the point.

"As a gentleman" I'll butt out :)
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

No D, you are correct. We do over analyze this stuff. That is sometimes what a hobby is all about. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:15 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:26 am
I think it's a faster easier way to open a knife than a regular thumb open. And I do like showing off in front of my good friends, but in public I don't flick open knives cause I don't want to scare the "normal folk" or have them think I've got a switch blade. Mostly I flick the knife open and closed when I'm working by myself. I will say that I find the fast opening and closing action of the Para 3 to be very functional, but I get what you're saying. I think I made a comment on the forum a while back about the market having reached "peak flipper", the trend is still going strong though, so perhaps I was wrong.
I know what you mean. I went through a flipping period with my PM2. At home, to the puzzlement of my wife. But I was hesitant to flip it in public. I may have overstated my opinion of public flipping but I still think it is not a good thing. But looking at all of the weird, “tactical”, weaponized assisted & flipper knives that make up a large part of vendor inventories I can’t help but think it’s form first and function a distant last.

Team Innovation