Against the grain...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ugaarguy

Re: Against the grain...

Post by ugaarguy »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:31 am
ugaarguy wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:27 am
Daveho wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:10 am
-Steels don’t matter when your knife doesn’t leave your “knife safe” AKA sock draw.

-titanium is unnecessary and expensive

-Damascus looks crap

-the fact that spyderco won’t supply internals on models with known issues like the Mantra is dumb.
Given the number of stainless steel liners I've had rust on Spydercos, I have to disagree. If, like me, you want a Spyderco with flow through construction, and one that wont rust, titanium is a necessity and the added expense isn't terrible.
Keep your knives clean and a basic protective film will get you out of trouble.
People have used blades in corrosive conditions for quite a long time prior to titanium components
Daveho, it's only been a problem with Spyderco, not other brands. The rust was between the liners and scales, and this was in the dark days when disassembly voided the warranty. Kinda hard to keep knives clean and apply a protective film when doing so voids the warranty. Thankfully, Spyderco has moved past that foolishness. Further, people also used carbon steel knives for many centuries, and then conventional stainless alloys for nearly a century in corrosive environments. That doesn't mean that newer alloys like H1 and LC200N aren't extremely useful, if not necessary, to some folks.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

ugaarguy wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:28 am
Daveho wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
Daveho wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:10 am
-Steels don’t matter when your knife doesn’t leave your “knife safe” AKA sock draw.

-titanium is unnecessary and expensive

-Damascus looks crap

-the fact that spyderco won’t supply internals on models with known issues like the Mantra is dumb.
Given the number of stainless steel liners I've had rust on Spydercos, I have to disagree. If, like me, you want a Spyderco with flow through construction, and one that wont rust, titanium is a necessity and the added expense isn't terrible.
People have used blades in corrosive conditions for quite a long time prior to titanium components
Daveho, it's only been a problem with Spyderco, not other brands. The rust was between the liners and scales, and this was in the dark days when disassembly voided the warranty. Kinda hard to keep knives clean and apply a protective film when doing so voids the warranty. Thankfully, Spyderco has moved past that foolishness. Further, people also used carbon steel knives for many centuries, and then conventional stainless alloys for nearly a century in corrosive environments. That doesn't mean that newer alloys like H1 and LC200N aren't extremely useful, if not necessary, to some folks.
The idea that spydercos warranty is something worth preserving over maintaining a knife is a bit short sighted-
vivi

Post by vivi »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:51 pm
ugaarguy wrote:
Daveho wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:

The idea that spydercos warranty is something worth preserving over maintaining a knife is a bit short sighted-
So is the idea that titanium is worthless because you have less issues with corrosion than some of us ;)

If I weren't on my phone I'd post the image of my Spin or Police with rusted liners, blade, pivot etc. Film coatings wear off, and don't protect the bolts etc.
:unicorn
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Off Topic
Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:04 pm
Daveho wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:
Daveho wrote:

So is the idea that titanium is worthless because you have less issues with corrosion than some of us ;)

If I weren't on my phone I'd post the image of my Spin or Police with rusted liners, blade, pivot etc. Film coatings wear off, and don't protect the bolts etc.
Just don’t be lazy and maintain your tools, super easy.
I’ve been snorkeling with many of my spydercos and I’ve never owned a salt series knife
vivi

Post by vivi »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:43 pm
Off Topic
Vivi wrote:
Daveho wrote:
ugaarguy wrote:

I’ve been snorkeling with many of my spydercos and I’ve never owned a salt series knife
So anyone that runs into more corrosion issues than you isn't maintaining their tools, huh? You've personally gone around and seen the way we treat our knives, have you? Snorkeling with a knife once in a while is exactly the same as a knife being exposed to harsh corrosive liquids for 16 hours a day?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

You see,the way threads like this work is... you don't argue with people's opinions that they've specifically posted because they think that they run counter to what most people think!

Because otherwise bedlam ensues...
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

tvenuto wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:13 pm
You see,the way threads like this work is... you don't argue with people's opinions that they've specifically posted because they think that they run counter to what most people think!

+1
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, I thought they point of this thread was to voice opinions that differ from popular opinion with being flamed.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
vivi

Post by vivi »

tvenuto wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:13 pm

ok, let me try.

People that don't use copper blades are simply folks that don't know how to maintain their tools. I've used copper blades to cut up tons of cardboard and the edge holding is just fine if you know how to maintain your tools. Steel is unecessary and expensive when copper is literally used to make pennies.

:rolleyes:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:00 pm
Daveho wrote:
Off Topic
Vivi wrote:
Daveho wrote:

So anyone that runs into more corrosion issues than you isn't maintaining their tools, huh? You've personally gone around and seen the way we treat our knives, have you? Snorkeling with a knife once in a while is exactly the same as a knife being exposed to harsh corrosive liquids for 16 hours a day?
Do you store your knives in with your collection of spilled car batteries?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:04 pm
Vivi wrote:
Daveho wrote:
Off Topic
Vivi wrote:

Well, not all of us sit at a desk in AC to earn our living. And some of us live where it's pretty warm. Some of us work around water. It's awfully pretentious to imply anyone that lives a different lifestyle than you sucks at taking care of their tools rather than trying to understand the environment their tools are used in.

Do you think Ti dive knives became popular because people are stupid and can't take care of their tools as well as you, or do you think there is a practical reason to desire a rust proof blade in an environment where rust is inevitable?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:26 pm
Daveho wrote:
Vivi wrote:
Daveho wrote:
Off Topic
Well, not all of us sit at a desk in AC to earn our living. And some of us live where it's pretty warm. Some of us work around water. It's awfully pretentious to imply anyone that lives a different lifestyle than you sucks at taking care of their tools rather than trying to understand the environment their tools are used in.

Do you think Ti dive knives became popular because people are stupid and can't take care of their tools as well as you, or do you think there is a practical reason to desire a rust proof blade in an environment where rust is inevitable?
And yet... you have no idea what I do or how I treat my knives and you presume to know better?
I appreciate you trying to put words in my mouth though.
But it is true that titanium is unnecessary and expensive- sorry it upsets you so.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:36 pm
Vivi wrote:
Daveho wrote:
Vivi wrote:

And yet... you have no idea what I do or how I treat my knives and you presume to know better?
But it is true that titanium is unnecessary and expensive- sorry it upsets you so.
Why you killing this thread, man?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Daveho wrote:
Vivi wrote:
Daveho wrote:
Vivi wrote:

Upset? lol.
"Technological advancements are only worth it if I personally have a use for them…"
lol.

You never did explain why you want steel blades so bad when copper works just fine. People got by for thousands of years with copper tools, you probably just don't know how to maintain them ;) :D
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:45 pm
Daveho wrote:
Vivi wrote:
Daveho wrote:

Upset? lol.
"Technological advancements are only worth it if I personally have a use for them…"
lol.

You never did explain why you want steel blades so bad when copper works just fine. People got by for thousands of years with copper tools, you probably just don't know how to maintain them ;) :D
Yes... clearly that is where this has all fallen short..
I have no trouble with my knives but you seem too, perhaps a tool more appropriate to your use is in order- maybe a mora?
I bet you wouldn’t be so defensive if you only had $14 tied up in it rather than the hundreds with unnecessary expensive materials like titanium
vivi

Post by vivi »

bro pacific salts cost $75, even with the titanium.

I have a Police 3 I've carried off and on since the month they came out. I take it apart once or twice a year and sand rust out of the liners.

If they were Ti it'd be lighter and would rust less. I'd pay the extra.

That Police is functioning better than the day I bought it. I have no issues maintaining it, but would certainly appreciate not having to sand rust out of the liners. I don't have to on my Pacific Salt, which is one reason it's in my pocket today and the Police is at home.

I think you should take a step back and quit telling people what is and isn't necessary on their pocket tools, when they live a much different lifestyle than you do. For example last month I rode a bicycle 1, 200 miles in a week and a half, going along the coast and up mountains. I brought a Pacific Salt with me. It worked great, and it was one less thing I had to be concerned with when rain happened.

Sure, me, Lance, and others could go back to ATS era Endura 3's and get by. But why would we choose to deal with rust when technological advancements have made that a thing of the past?

Oh, that's right, Dave doesn't find such technology useful, so we should stop using it. Logic...where'd you go?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Haha I think you need to get less upset about peoples opinion on knives- if I was walking up hill all day in the acid rain 78 hours a day like you I probably wouldn’t be buying spyderco..
No idea why riding a bike and some rain would cause you to fear for your knife but anyway...
That’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Daveho wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:11 pm
No idea why riding a bike and some rain would cause you to fear for your knife but anyway...
It doesn't. Because it's rust proof. That's the point :rolleyes:

I make enough $$ doing what I do that sanding rust off the liners is less economically sensible than working an extra hour to pay the premium for Ti liners. Being lighter is another huge bonus in my book.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Vivi, daveho, please start your own thread instead of messing this one up any more. I'm asking as a gentleman to what i assume are two other gentlemen.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Bodog wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:37 pm
Vivi, daveho, please start your own thread instead of messing this one up any more. I'm asking as a gentleman to what i assume are two other gentlemen.
Or better yet, take full advantage of the private message feature. :rolleyes: :D
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?