Double Stuff 2| Best Pocket Stone

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blendergasket

Re: Double Stuff 2| Best Pocket Stone

Post by blendergasket »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:41 pm

The Double Stuff 2 would work but also look at the Worksharp guided Field sharpener, it's a little cheaper and has more training aids and features , it's just to bulky to carry in the pocket.
Good idea, thank you!
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:41 pm

The Double Stuff 2 would work but also look at the Worksharp guided Field sharpener, it's a little cheaper and has more training aids and features , it's just to bulky to carry in the pocket.

I carry the double stuff 2 the most because it's a minimalist set up and It's always in my pocket.
Thank you for the recommendation. I think I'm gonna go for the Worksharp. It looks super versatile.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey "DeadBoxHero" I'm so glad you put up that older/better pouch for the original DOUBLESTUFF stone. That older pouch which was far more thicker and way more durable than the one that comes with the original Doublestuff stone of the past 5 years or so. I've even used that original thick leather Doublestuff stone pouch for stropping and cleaning up the bare edge on occasions and it works well. Also it appears that Fallkniven also uses an equally tough leather pouch for their stones too>> well it sure appears to be that way just to look at them in your photos. I've not yet owned or used one of the Fallkniven stones but I'm now going to get at least one of their stones to try out. I've always had a lot of respect for that company over the years.

This is a most interesting thread because I believe that a lot of people really don't consider that portable/manual sharpening tools you can use in the field are way more important that I originally thought. Also in a survival type situation, power outage or severe weather situation I'm finding that manual tools are truly vital and essential for those type of scenarios.

I've owned and used a lot of diamond sharpening tools over the years including the few that Spyderco sells and I'm wondering if their CBN stones hold up better over time because I've actually worn out two sets of Spyderco's 204 Sharpmaker diamond stones. I'm really not complaining because I used both sets dozens of times over the years and I got my money's worth overall but it is also important to have stones that are durable and won't wear out over time.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

JD, you really should give the DC4 a go. It is reasonably priced and I absolutely love it. I keep a DC4 and a Doublestuff in my truck at all times.

I still haven’t given the DS2 a go yet. I can’t keep up with all the great knives Spyderco comes out with but sooner or later I will pick one up. I do like the original DS a lot.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:12 pm
JD, you really should give the DC4 a go. It is reasonably priced and I absolutely love it. I keep a DC4 and a Doublestuff in my truck at all times.

I still haven’t given the DS2 a go yet. I can’t keep up with all the great knives Spyderco comes out with but sooner or later I will pick one up. I do like the original DS a lot.
Yeah I'm glad you mentioned that BFK because ever since I got addicted to this hobby I have always put the sharpening equipment ahead of the knives themselves. Because I had an uncle tell me many years ago that a dull knife is close to being the most "useless" tool on the entire planet. There's few tools as fun to work with as a super sharp knife but there are also few things more aggravating than a dull knife>>> Yeah my uncle was a very wise man indeed. Back in the late 90s I got a 204 Sharpmaker before I got my next Spyder and Benchmade>> yeah at one time I was in to both brands really heavy.

But now to me premium sharpening equipment is my highest priority overall. Because if I can't keep these blades "straight razor sharp" then there is very little point in owning them.
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Besides us being spyderco Junkies, is there are a reason why the doublestuff is better then the DMT coarse/fine combo that comes in a similar size? And its cheaper? Any difference in quality?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZMW wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:00 pm
Besides us being spyderco Junkies, is there are a reason why the doublestuff is better then the DMT coarse/fine combo that comes in a similar size? And its cheaper? Any difference in quality?
That's a good question and a very fair question as well. My short answer is NO. But if the DMT is good quality I personally just might end up owning both of them. Personally I find Spyderco's overall quality in their knives and sharpening equipment both to be top notch all the way. But on the other hand I do own and use some DMT sharpening tools for different jobs and they do some jobs really well. But overall I like the ceramic for finishing far more than I like diamond.

I am a Spyderco fan first and foremost but I also own a lot of sharpening tools made by other companies. I have a lot of respect for DMT and Fallkniven both and I've heard nothing but good about their sharpening tools.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

ZMW wrote:
First, it's all about your Sharpening ability not the tool so buying something more expensive is never going to step your game up, but it will enhance the experience.

The double stuff 2 will cut faster, it's an continuous surface rather then the interrupted surface that reduces the diamonds on the plate.

Also the double stuff 2 is very aggressive out of the box. The CBN stays put longer then the diamond on the DMT coarse.

The double stuff 2 has more features such as using the corners for quick honing passes or recurves, a groove for fishing hooks and a leather suade pouch that doubles as a strop.

The double stuff 2 has the capability to finish higher with the fine ceramic, the ceramic also helps deburr better.

So I'd just save the money and get the double stuff 2. Rather then waste on the DMT and still buy a DB2 later.

My DMT just collects rust.

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:15 pm
ZMW wrote:
First, it's all about your Sharpening ability not the tool so buying something more expensive is never going to step your game up, but it will enhance the experience.

The double stuff 2 will cut faster, it's an continuous surface rather then the interrupted surface that reduces the diamonds on the plate.

Also the double stuff 2 is very aggressive out of the box. The CBN stays put longer then the diamond on the DMT coarse.

The double stuff 2 has more features such as using the corners for quick honing passes or recurves, a groove for fishing hooks and a leather suade pouch that doubles as a strop.

The double stuff 2 has the capability to finish higher with the fine ceramic, the ceramic also helps deburr better.

So I'd just save the money and get the double stuff 2. Rather then waste on the DMT and still buy a DB2 later.

My DMT just collects rust.
I hope you are in Sales, because you just sold me!