DLC M4 Para 3 with Natural G-10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KnickKnackCity

Re: DLC M4 Para 3 with Natural G-10

Post by KnickKnackCity »

holeshot wrote: Here they are. :)
Thats a lot of quality steel at your fingertips. I like the lanyard work too. Hate to break it to your wallet, but you are in need of the DLC M2 in addition to the Satin PM2 to complete your set. Any speculation as to if/when the DLC Military will drop?

That's definitely frustrating Rick. I wonder why so much trouble with this batch of knives specifically?

Fortunately for me, the mail gods were kind and I got mine last night. Might be the nicest action of any P3 I have received yet. I hope it is the same when I get it back together. I did take it out to admire in the sunlight for a bit this morning though:
2018-08-04 12.45.29.jpg
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Anyone know why they didnt coat the liners on the DLC Para 3 ans DLC PM2 like they did with the DLC Manix? The Manix looks so great with the coated liners. As does the new Red G10 Delica. I know it sounds crazy, but this was the only reason I didnt get it. Are they just not able to coat the liners at all on some models? Had there ever been a DLC Para 3 or PM2 with coated liners??
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
superposition

Post by superposition »

This is my first Para 3, and I'm hooked. I can't wait for the next batch from River's Edge. Must buy. Also looking at the blurple model as my EDC. Just love it.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:40 pm
Anyone know why they didnt coat the liners on the DLC Para 3 ans DLC PM2 like they did with the DLC Manix? The Manix looks so great with the coated liners. As does the new Red G10 Delica. I know it sounds crazy, but this was the only reason I didnt get it. Are they just not able to coat the liners at all on some models? Had there ever been a DLC Para 3 or PM2 with coated liners??
The liners on the Para 3 and PM2 are nested. For appearance sake, it wouldn't really makes sense to coat something that won't really be seen. For extra corrosion protection maybe, but it would increase the price.

EDIT: I just had an afterthought and remembered that they don't coat the compression locks. Looks like KKC has it covered below.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

steelcity16 wrote:
Anyone know why they didnt coat the liners on the DLC Para 3...?"
Hey steely. Here is a post from Michael Janich as to why they dont coat the compression lock liners.
Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:10 am
I discussed this with our engineers. They explained that one of the properties of DLC is that it increases lubricity (slipperiness) and therefore decreases the ability of a lock face to gall ("stick") to the tang ramp--a necessary function for the lock to work properly. In our testing, the resultant compromise in lock strength was determined to be undesirable, so that's why we don't do it. As for the standoffs, I don't have a good explanation for that... at least not yet.

Stay safe,

Mike
viewtopic.php?t=75698
If you could leave the contact point non-coated I think the exposed portion to match the rest of the black hardware would look great. If the rest of the liner were coated under the natural G10 that would be even better.
Last edited by KnickKnackCity on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:55 pm
For extra corrosion protection maybe, but it would increase the price.
Yeah this would be the only combo (dlc/translucent) which it would be an aesthetic benefit. I would have gladly paid an extra $10 for the option. As far as an in corrosion application, hopefully we will be seeing the linerless LW Salt PM2 & P3 before a G10 version :) :spyder: .
D4rka2nx

Post by D4rka2nx »

https://imgur.com/a/K7hMhzG

My Para 3 came with inconsistencies in the coating, like they didn't coat the blade all the way at the tip. Man I love this knife, but really? I don't want to return it, but at the same time I do. What do you guys think about it?
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Better late than never! FINALLY IN MY HANDS. Now I have this and the BBS M390...2 amazing steels for 1 amazing knife :D
Resized_20180806_132528.jpeg
Resized_20180806_132722.jpeg
Resized_20180806_132455.jpeg
Resized_20180806_132817.jpeg
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

KnickKnackCity wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:55 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Anyone know why they didnt coat the liners on the DLC Para 3...?"
Hey steely. Here is a post from Michael Janich as to why they dont coat the compression lock liners.
Michael Janich wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:10 am
I discussed this with our engineers. They explained that one of the properties of DLC is that it increases lubricity (slipperiness) and therefore decreases the ability of a lock face to gall ("stick") to the tang ramp--a necessary function for the lock to work properly. In our testing, the resultant compromise in lock strength was determined to be undesirable, so that's why we don't do it. As for the standoffs, I don't have a good explanation for that... at least not yet.

Stay safe,

Mike
viewtopic.php?t=75698
If you could leave the contact point non-coated I think the exposed portion to match the rest of the black hardware would look great. If the rest of the liner were coated under the natural G10 that would be even better.

Ah, that makes sense. I do agree though that maybe they could leave the contact point uncoated or do a quick grind of the contact point after coating to remove the DLC on that portion. It would look much better on the DLC PM2 and Para 3. I don't like seeing the exposed stainless lock release tab when everything else is DLC coated. And on the translucent G10 models, the black nested liners look incredible. The Manix DLC M4 is perfection.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Crux

Post by Crux »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:30 pm
Dressed mine up yesterday with some black Micarta scales from RC Bladeworks. Feels and looks much better than natural G10! :)

I LOVE those scales.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Got mine end of last week and have to say I'm a little disappointed. This is my first Para 3 and wow, it's perfect size for my EDC office carry.

What I'm upset about is it seems to have early lockup when opening it slowly, and not flicking it. It's not a full "lock-up" but rather it "catches".I posted a pic and a vid on another site and people claimed this is common with the Para 3. I don't understand that as none of my many PM2's have ever exhibited this trait.

Some say it will go away as the knife breaks in. I'm really having a hard time as I've never had a Spyderco come out of the box with ANY defect or issue. Should I try to get an exchange? I really want this knife but don't want one that has issues.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

That's strange to me, as my both of my Para 3's lock up with a very strong and loud "snap/thunk/whatever you want to call it" Even when not flicking either knife they get a full lock up. Maybe allow more time to break them in, or add a drop of oil/lube...maybe it isn't opening as smoothly as it should? Maybe adjust the pivot screw ever so slightly? I'd try breaking it in more and tinkering just a tad. I love my Para 3's because of the strong lock up, so I'm surprised and sorry to hear that.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Cscottsss wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:50 am
Got mine end of last week and have to say I'm a little disappointed. This is my first Para 3 and wow, it's perfect size for my EDC office carry.

What I'm upset about is it seems to have early lockup when opening it slowly, and not flicking it. It's not a full "lock-up" but rather it "catches".I posted a pic and a vid on another site and people claimed this is common with the Para 3. I don't understand that as none of my many PM2's have ever exhibited this trait.

Some say it will go away as the knife breaks in. I'm really having a hard time as I've never had a Spyderco come out of the box with ANY defect or issue. Should I try to get an exchange? I really want this knife but don't want one that has issues.
Mine (satin bladed m4) had a hitch in it as well and I took a jewelers loop and found small piece of fuzz or lint near the bearing. Some canned air and a smear of Ballistol took care of it. Good luck! Cat fan? :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Fixmeister

Post by Fixmeister »

I just got mine yesterday and the lockup is certainly a little different than my Para 2... but nothing that I would say is a fault or defect. Mine has a half-cock click a little before the compression lock fully engages. I only noticed it because of this post. Typically I flick it out with authority and wouldn’t have even noticed the pre-lockup click. It certainly doesn’t change the lockup. It will deploy with a flick once the lock has been slid over.

I find the snick truly satisfying. It’s a little different than my Para 2 in S110V. But they are different steels and different lengths/weights. I wouldn’t expect them to sound the same. FYI, this is my 1st Para 3. And I think I got one of the last ones because shortly after my order went through, BHQ showed them out of stock.

I truly hope you’re experiencing a difference and not a defect.
Fixmeister

Post by Fixmeister »

Upon further review... I think what I’m hearing/feeling is the detent. The closed-to-open detent is fairly strong and with the shorter blade on the 3 compared to the 2, its more noticeable.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:03 am
Cscottsss wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:50 am

Mine (satin bladed m4) had a hitch in it as well and I took a jewelers loop and found small piece of fuzz or lint near the bearing. Some canned air and a smear of Ballistol took care of it. Good luck! Cat fan? :D
Cool, thanks for the advice. Looks like I'm either going to have to keep it and hope it gets better or return for cash as I see they're now sold out.

Yes, I bleed blue. Lived in Lexington my whole life.
Joey

Post by Joey »

I lucked out and happened upon blade HQ last week. I was stoked to find out they are local in my state! I was able to run down the next day and pick it up personally (even though they weren’t technically open that day. Great place.)
It’s my first non-lightweight Spyderco, and I’m in love. As if the steel/color scheme wasn’t enough, I couldn’t believe the overall quality for the price :)

I have since ordered the Rex 45 PM2, which is out of the ordinary for me, since I have always spent less than $100 on my knives before these two.
KnickKnackCity

Post by KnickKnackCity »

D4rka2nx wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:54 am
https://imgur.com/a/K7hMhzG
I don't want to return it, but at the same time I do. What do you guys think about it?
Welcome to the forum. I wish your first post was under better circumstances. The coating (or lack thereof) is indeed pretty rough. I am actually surprised it made it out of Golden. If it was my knife I would email Spyderco with pics and see what they say. If nothing else they may have you send in and issue credit.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

RickC27 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:53 am
Better late than never! FINALLY IN MY HANDS. Now I have this and the BBS M390...2 amazing steels for 1 amazing knife :D
Glad you finally got it Rick :D Me and USPS don't get along. UPS has been good to me.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:44 pm
RickC27 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:53 am
Glad you finally got it Rick :D Me and USPS don't get along. UPS has been good to me.
Me too! That was a nightmare. Now with the Rex45 out I want to hold off a bit and enjoy this one, but at the same time i don't want to miss the opportunity for one if it's available...seeing how the PM2 had been so elusive. Decisions decisions!!!