Very DISAPPOINTED w/ laminated steel sprint runs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
willc

Re: Very DISAPPOINTED w/ laminated steel sprint runs

Post by willc »

I just got my v-Toku Endura and the lamination lines are probably the best of all my cladded blades and I have most of the super blue and HAP40 runs.

As long as the cladding isn’t in the cutting edge I don’t see the problem.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:28 pm
shunsui wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:50 pm
Optimistic, but I'd bet on shredded beef. I'd imagine the steel all came from the same place at the same time.

I'm fine with my tragically flawed Endura so if the rest are uneven I don't care.
You may be right. If they make a Whanrcliffe Vtoku though I'll pick one up regardless of cosmetics :D With one of those, the hap 40, and a wharnclife salt I'll have myself a nice wharn-trio.

How bout a wharniefly? :cool:

- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

mb1 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:05 pm
How bout a wharniefly? :cool:

That looks awesome. I've been a little busy, so I haven't got around to it yet, but ever since I got the wharndelica, I have been convinced more than ever that we need a wharnfly. I had some ideas on the design that were Yojimbo influenced, but after actually handling Jazz's delica design, I believe he is on the right track. He has a Wharnfly design (Or maybe it was for the Manbug?). Anyway it has been my intention to PM him and get him to post his design again. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Perhaps he will see this. I think the interest is there in the Spydie community and it is definitely time for a wharnfly, I'd like to see his design put into production.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

mb1, that’s gorgeous. Here’s mine in ZDP...

Here’s the knife I really want. A wee pocket open up anything powerhouse. Wharnie Manbug...

Maybe Sal will tire of me posting this pic and make it. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Is there enough if a difference between photo above and drawing below ?
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

500Nitro wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:23 pm
Is there enough if a difference between photo above and drawing below ?
The ergos would be extremely different.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Manbug is a bit smaller, but very capable.
- best wishes, Jazz.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:46 pm
mb1, that’s gorgeous. Here’s mine in ZDP...

Here’s the knife I really want. A wee pocket open up anything powerhouse. Wharnie Manbug...

Maybe Sal will tire of me posting this pic and make it. ;)
Very nice Jazz! Did you do that one yourself? The one I posted was just an Instagram find. I like the idea a lot. I wasn't sure about the positive blade angle it leaves you with, but seeing yours laying flat doesn't look bad at all. Could even help cutting on a flat surface I imagine. :spyder:

AND that WharnBug rocks!
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thank you. I did it myself. I had a Dfly that had an odd downward blade angle on it, so this was the only candidate for my mod. A regular one ends up pointing upward, which I don’t like.
- best wishes, Jazz.
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

I've seen some pretty uneven ones, both personally and with friends. Last year's seconds sale, I picked up two HAP40 Enduras with pretty uneven lives from side to side, but everything else looked right on. It made me wonder if there IS a point where the factory is bouncing them to the seconds pile?

I may just be getting lucky, but my last two have been pretty good, just random buys from online retailers.

ImageImage
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
91bravo

Post by 91bravo »

Mine came fairly even, the clip side is a little lower, but not by much.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I'm disappointed that people put so much emphasis on something that is irrelevant to the performance of the knife. I've bought $400 Sukenari's chef knives that didn't have picture perfect lamination lines, it never even crossed my mind that it was an issue. I went to the stone and sharpened and enjoyed it in use.

I'm disappointed I haven't heard anyone here talk about how the steel performed, just how the lines don't have PERFECT symmetry.

I like to think the community here is different and places a huge emphasis on performance, but to see so much whining about lamination lines and so much misunderstanding on lamination is a real bummer.

Hope the people that are disappointed get it worked out.
I'd recommend Rockstead knives if you need that perfection.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Deadbox

Well said.

If it affected performance, I'd be worried.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:22 pm
I'm disappointed that people put so much emphasis on something that is irrelevant to the performance of the knife. I've bought $400 Sukenari's chef knives that didn't have picture perfect lamination lines, it never even crossed my mind that it was an issue. I went to the stone and sharpened and enjoyed it in use.

I'm disappointed I haven't heard anyone here talk about how the steel performed, just how the lines don't have PERFECT symmetry.

I like to think the community here is different and places a huge emphasis on performance, but to see so much whining about lamination lines and so much misunderstanding on lamination is a real bummer.

Even sal said my endura didn’t meet his standards and should have never left the factory. There is a difference between some variation which is okay and one side only being a millimeter from the edge. It is a performance issue when it’s that close to the edge. Those words came from Spyderco’s warranty department. So I’m glad you are cool with some things. Others are not including Spyderco.

If you have enough room on each side even if it’s uneven I can deal with that. But lines disappearing before the edge or just above the edge so a few sharpening sessions.....it’s gone. Unacceptable. Sal even said so.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Trackstar555 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:03 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

Even sal said my endura didn’t meet his standards and should have never left the factory. There is a difference between some variation which is okay and one side only being a millimeter from the edge. It is a performance issue when it’s that close to the edge. Those words came from Spyderco’s warranty department. So I’m glad you are cool with some things. Others are not including Spyderco.

If you have enough room on each side even if it’s uneven I can deal with that. But lines disappearing before the edge or just above the edge so a few sharpening sessions.....it’s gone. Unacceptable. Sal even said so.
How does it affect the performance?
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Hangfire

Post by Hangfire »

sal wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:26 pm
Hi Fixall, Hangfire, Lord Wilson, Supacede,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Hi Sal,
My first EDC was an early 90's Endura, serrated AUS-8 with red paint inlay handle... I've been carrying Spyderco's ever since!
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for making some of the best knives ever produced... jmho:)
Hangfire
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:29 am
Trackstar555 wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:03 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:

You are asking the wrong person. Ask Sal or the warranty team. This has been a hot topic “visual lines vs performance” for a while and not just this thread. Lots of people SPECULATING one way or the other if it affects performance when the laminated line disappears. Some say it does and some say it does not. No one here is qualified to make that determination other than Sal and the Spyderco folks who really know.
Bruce Mack

Post by Bruce Mack »

"How does it affect the performance?"
Well, if the lamination line crosses into the edge and apex you have an open-faced sandwich, just one layer of cladding and one of V-Toku. The unsupported V-Toku is more susceptible to chipping. In fact, my Endura did develop a small chip when it first encountered cardboard and not in the defective area.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Bruce Mack wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:47 am
"How does it affect the performance?"
Well, if the lamination line crosses into the edge and apex you have an open-faced sandwich, just one layer of cladding and one of V-Toku. The unsupported V-Toku is more susceptible to chipping. In fact, my Endura did develop a small chip when it first encountered cardboard and not in the defective area.
I understand this. If someone has this issue I'm 100% positive spyderco would take care of it. As Sal said, the goal is happy customers.

I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon lecturing the OP, but a quick look at the pictures he posted will reveal that he should have absolutely no issues with unsupported V-Toku 2 steel. The line shouldn't reach the bevel until the knife has seen a good 2+ years of use and sharpening. And that point, I'd have thinned out the entire blade to preserve thinness behind the edge, which would place the lamination line about 2mm behind the bevel again.

I hadn't read this thread in its entirety till now. Personally, I'm glad we have a few comedians. :D
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Trackstar555 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:21 am
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:29 am
You are asking the wrong person. Ask Sal or the warranty team. This has been a hot topic “visual lines vs performance” for a while and not just this thread. Lots of people SPECULATING one way or the other if it affects performance when the laminated line disappears. Some say it does and some say it does not. No one here is qualified to make that determination other than Sal and the Spyderco folks who really know.
I have no qualifications whatsoever but I know you can’t defy the laws of physics.

To that end irrespective of the cladding on any hardened core it’s the hardened core that actually cuts, does it not?
So doesn’t it stand to reason that as long as the core is cleanly apexed and sharp the knife will perform as it should whether it is clad evenly or otherwise as long as only the core makes up the cutting edge and the edge was indeed in the centre of the knife’s spine. :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin