Rhino Reports

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Rhino Reports

Post by MichaelScott »

I went and ordered a Reinhold Rhino from SFO. I had no intention of ever getting this knife when I first saw and read about it. Then there was the episode of Spyderco moving production because the first run did not meet their expectations. Then after much waiting the Rhino arrived and I was skeptical. Didn’t look like it would make a good every day user for my needs. But as I heard more about it and tracked down some reviews and a couple of well done YouTube videos I got more and more interested.

So, I ditherrd basically between the Lil’ Native and the Rhino. Something about the overall design and quality really appeals to me now. So, wanting to have a small high-quality innovative knife along with my other three Spydercos I ordered one today.

The purpose of this thread is to periodically report back on my experiences with the Rhino in the hopes that it will prove informative for others who are interested in this knife. I also invite any other Rhino users to do the same here.

The knife should arrive Monday and I will post first impressions A few days later.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
elena86

Re: Rhino Reports

Post by elena86 »

Looking forward to your first impressions. I still encourage you to try the Urban in any flavour. It will rock your world, mark my words :)

P.S Next week I shall receive my Rhino but it's hard to belive that it will displace my beloved K390 Urban
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

:rolleyes: The Urban? I don’t know. Maybe you could show a bit more enthusiasm :rolleyes: :D

I will handle one and compare it to my UKPK next time I am at SFO.

The Rhino might displace my Dragonfly. Not planning on that but will see how it goes. I don’t have any kind of rotation scheme in mind. Rotating through four knives seems silly since I will usually always have two on me. I will just grab which ever knives speak to me that day.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

All I can say, is that you won't regret getting a Rhino. Really cool little knife that's up for big tasks.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The Rhino came today. I'm not going to post any photos yet. As expected, it is perfect. No flaws, centered. The blade seems thin even though from the comparison photos I have seen it may not be much thinner at the spine than the Lil' Native. Certainly fits my size large hand.

Being this is the honeymoon period, I will refrain from writing glowing reports. I will wait a bit and carry and use it some before passing judgement. Enough to say, it doesn't seem like a small knife.

Team Innovation
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:05 pm
The Rhino came today. I'm not going to post any photos yet. As expected, it is perfect. No flaws, centered. The blade seems thin even though from the comparison photos I have seen it may not be much thinner at the spine than the Lil' Native. Certainly fits my size large hand.

Being this is the honeymoon period, I will refrain from writing glowing reports. I will wait a bit and carry and use it some before passing judgement. Enough to say, it doesn't seem like a small knife.
I'm in the same boat. Just got mine today, and it definitely feels great in the hand. I was a little worried about how small the handle was, but it was a great fit. That upswept tip is my main hang up. I don't see myself doing any skinning any time soon, so it remains to be seen how well it will work for me.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

With the negative blade angle relative to the handle and the outstanding ergonomic grip, I’d say it will handle tough cutting tasks. The upswept blade is basically An extended belly beginning about a third of the way from the ricasso. So you have a generous edge with an almost straight section where it counts for power cuts and a nice long edge for more delicate and extended work. I think this might prove effective with such mundane tasks as dismembering a chicken.

Team Innovation
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Was yours a little stiff on the open and close? When I first got it, it was a two hand closer (depressing the lock and shaking the knife didn't move the blade one bit). I loosened my pivot a tiny bit so it swings closed if I put some wrist into it, much more fidget-able now :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It was an easy opener. I even managed to flick it open a few times but I generally just swing it open with my thumb.

A bit stiff when losing which I have found is normal for many new Spydercos. Since the blade on the Rhino is small and light, it won’t fall when the compression lock is released. It might fall a bit with further use and a touch of oil on the bushings. Or not. I don’t mind using my other hand to close it, or I can touch it against my trouser leg to get it started. I’m not much into flipping and all that.

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Another brief report. I generally don’t like clips on small knives. I think they are uncomfortable when using the knife and spoil the design ergonomics of the handle. I will remove them and add a fob and pocket carry them. However I’m going to keep the clip on the Rhino for now. Somehow it works ok with the ergonomics. I can still tell it is there but it bothers me only a little.

More on this as I gain more experience with this little jewel of a knife.

Team Innovation
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I just ended up selling mine. I love the way the handle feels, but even with the negative angle, I was finding it to be a chore to use the knife. I should have known, since the upswept tip was the main reason I parted with my Strecth2. I hate that it didn't work out, because it is a beautiful, well made knife. It's just that I find leaf shaped and wharncliffe blades work best for my uses.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

My Rhino came today and is typical Spyderco quality. I'm going to give it some pocket time to see if will replace my G-10 Dragonfly. I do like that the handle is a bit larger than the Dragonfly so it's a better fit for my large hands. Pretty sure this ones a keeper. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I put up a brief video: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80217
And forgot to post it here. Doh!

Team Innovation
senorsquare

Post by senorsquare »

Here’s a short vid of my one hand close method for the Rhino.

https://youtu.be/2ToI5LgN6Zc

The closing action is a little stiff so the blade doesn’t free fall closed. It takes some mild finger gymnastics for me to close one handed but I’m getting the hang of it and it’s starting to feel more natural.

It’s pretty nifty to fit a compression lock in such a small package but I think the large cutout for the spydie hole would lend itself well to a liner lock mechanism for this knife. When I first got the Rhino my thumb naturally went to this cutout when I wanted to unlock the blade. I’d like to see this as a liner lock and would even like to see a slip joint version.

The ergos are great even for large hands but the stock clip creates a hotspot in my palm. This is pretty much alleviated with the MXG deep carry clip.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

holeshot wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:04 pm
My Rhino came today and is typical ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:31 pm
holeshot wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:04 pm
My Rhino came today and is typical ...
Well done! Guess that's one way to get an enema. :D
"No matter where you go, there you are"
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I just can't get into this knife. I wanted to, but I just think it's too small. Already having a Chaparral frn and Delica Pakkawood, I don't see when this would ever steal pocket time from those two,especially for the price. Not to mention that headache of a blade shape. Never handled a lil native, but I think even that would be more practical. Sorry to rain on the parade with my personal opinion!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I took the clip off mine today, and love it a lot better. The Rhino is a very nice little knife.
Josh
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Hey, all opinions are welcome. I wasn’t sure I would
Like it as much as I do. But it’s become my favorite small knife slightly edging out the Dragonfly. I think the blade shape is much more useful that it first appears. I have used it for many suitable tasks. With the negative blade angle held properly the point is in a direct line with my extended hand and arm. A nice touch. I used it to chop large shreds of cheese today and the sweep of the blade kept the angle high, my hand up and away from the cutting board and zipped through the job in a short while.

I’m still liking everything about it especially the ergonomics of the entire knife.

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Since I have had my Rhino it hasn’t left my pocket. I have been using it for everything just to see if the blade shape gets in the way. It does not if you take it into consideration when cutting. It cuts better in some situations than others of course but it is an overall widely functional blade.

Being a small knife I suspect it would benefit from a Walker Liner Lock instead of a compression lock because it would be easier to close with one hand. I have developed a quick method to do that but a WLL would have been more intuitive.

Team Innovation