Rhino Reports

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Re: Rhino Reports

Post by knivesandbooks »

Ordering mine Friday (payday)!!
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Let us know what you think. I’m not an unbiased reporter.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:00 pm
Let us know what you think. I’m not an unbiased reporter.
I will! I've been waiting for this one. Just had to wait for the funds. I'm new to upswept blades so I'm not sure what to expect of that. It's main competition will be the chaparral lw that has been at the bottom of my pocket since i got it. The chap replaced both the delica and my traditional GEC's as my backup / office carry. So it is a tall order to live up to. But I think it might just. I like the idea of getting as much edge as possible in such a small blade without going for a hawkbill. I prefer large hawkbills. Also it looks so dang cool.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I think it is the blade shape that deters some people. I was leery of it as well (probably spend too much time reading forum posts) at first but I was intrigued by the entire design. Turns out, for me, the blade shape works fine and the longer cutting edge, and the options offered by the long upsweep are benefits I did not expect.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Ordered! Priority too. Still not sure about it except for I know I like how it looks and I know Spyderco wouldn't have worked so long and persistently to produce it if it wasn't good.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

ITs certainly not your run-of-the mill knife. Opinions seem pretty divided. Interested in yours.

Team Innovation
napalmfriday

Post by napalmfriday »

Personally, I'm really liking mine. The ergos, fit & finish are great and it seems to find it's way into my pocket several times a week.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I'm really liking mine. It has cemented my conversion towards smaller knives, especially in the summer when I mainly wear shorts. It fits great in the hand and the blade shape is actually really useful.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Well, things have loosened up. The only things I have done are to apply a bit of oil to the bushings and open and close it a large number of times, much of that getting my index finger close procedure down. Today I find that if I’d open the lock with my thumb and flick it downwards the blade will most often swing closed enough to drop down so the ricasso hits, softly, my index finger then I’m good to push it the rest of the way with my index finger.

Break in progress.

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The last couple of days the knife has loosened up with use so it is easily flickable now. I try not do do it although I do fall into temptation now and again.

Team Innovation
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

I have written a little glimpsed review.

Still thinking about keeping it or offering it to my hunter Italian friends it as the clip is really stiff and the closing not easy...
But for the rest it's a little gem of a knife with great materials and great ergos once open !!

https://nemoknivesreview.com/2018/07/06 ... i-chinook/

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Nemo,
Mine has gotten excellent with breaking in. As I said, I only applied a bit of light oil to the bushings when I received it and have been regularly using it since, about a month I think. Now, it easily flicks open and is easy to close one-handed. I am experiencing no issues with open or close.

I suspect different Spyderco designs require different break in times. My new Polestar is slightly stiff, as expected but that will improve over time and use.

If you do give your Rhino to a friend, that would be a very nice gift indeed. You will miss it!

Team Innovation
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Michael,

the integrate guard on the blade is hitting my thumb (which is unlocking) when I'm closing it and rebound on it... ;-)

This is a minor thing but it get annoying... ;-)

Cheers
Nemo
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I believe you mean the rear rounded bottom edge of the Ricardo. When I trip the lock with my thumb and flip the knife downwards sharply to get the blade past the detent, at that part of the ricasso lands on my finger stopping the blade from continuing. I then just push it the rest of the way closed with my index vinegar.

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I believe you mean the rear rounded bottom edge of the ricasso. When I trip the lock with my thumb and flip the knife downwards sharply to get the blade past the detent, at that part of the ricasso lands on my finger stopping the blade from continuing. I then just push it the rest of the way closed with my index finger. I do not expect the blade to fall all of the way closed, nor do I want it to.

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

No, wrong. After carrying it every day, literally, at home, town, hotels and hospitals and doing nothing at all except cleaning it and a touch of oil on the bushings it has broken in beautifully. Easy to flick open should you like that and with a pinch the compression lock and gentle shake the blade swings mostly shut taking only a nudge from my index finger to close securely.

So, liner lock not required, needed nor wanted.

I have found the blade shape useful in a variety of cutting tasks (and I can use the spine to pry off an ale bottle cap when required) and am happy with it.

The ergonomics for me are still great. No grip issues. Period.

For me this is my favorite small Spyderco. If I lost it I would buy another right away. Makes me smile.

— Rhino Reports End —

Team Innovation
Oogie

Post by Oogie »

My quick 2 cents on the Rhino. I share a lot of the admiration for the design and egos that Michael has passed along. Great size, very comfortable 3 finger fit with room for my pinky to lock it in hand. Only 2 constructive items of feedback thus far:
- Unique rhino blade shape is definitely part of the appeal, but feels like I may have a learning curve to really leverage the blade shape and feel more comfortable with it.
- While my other XHP models have been some of the sharpest blades received from Spyderco, I feel the Rhino came lacking a great edge. Not sure if it is the rhino shape, or XHP steel (or combination), but I haven’t quite been able to get the edge as sharp as I’d like with the Sharpmaker.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

There's a youtube video of a Rhino taken apart.

Can anyone explain the extra one-sided internal stop pin and the milling in the blade that only goes part way through?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

That is how all the blades on the Taichung flippers with the improved PB bearings now look, there’s all sorts of milling around the pivot to incorporate stop pins, etc. The look of them actually makes me a bit nervous since quite a bit of material is removed in the pivot area (possibly leading to increased breakage in that area under very hard use).
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:20 am
That is how all the blades on the Taichung flippers with the improved PB bearings now look, there’s all sorts of milling around the pivot to incorporate stop pins, etc. The look of them actually makes me a bit nervous since quite a bit of material is removed in the pivot area (possibly leading to increased breakage in that area under very hard use).
Are you discussing “flippers”, not the Rhino?

Team Innovation