Replacing the love of my life (PM2)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
adamweld

Replacing the love of my life (PM2)

Post by adamweld »

To my greatest sadness my trusty Paramilitary 2 - a black S30V - fell off my belt somewhere on the olympic coast while I was out this weekend. I owned that son of a gun for over 8 years and carried it pretty much every day. It was my only knife and after all those years of use and abuse it was practically good as new.

Now that I'm done mourning, it's time to pick a replacement. Obviously I'm tempted to grab another PM2 but I'm also looking at the Manix 2 - anyone want to weigh in there?

For the PM2 I'm looking at the following variants. I want something that's sexy and strong, and able to hold an edge for a long time. Recommendations would be awesome here.

Black S30V - $136
Blurple S110V - $166
Smooth Black Cruwear - $156
Carbon Fiber M4 - $220

Leaning pretty hard towards the Cruwear right now, let me know what you think is the best all-rounder. Cheers
M4Life

Have you tried the para 3?

Post by M4Life »

They are both great knives, I own the Manix and it is will take any abuse you can throw at it and the ergos are great at least for me. I love the ball bearing lock but it takes a little bit of getting used to, if you have used the spring strength is a little stronger than an AXIS lock so it takes a little more force to disengage the lock, but it's great once you get the hang of it. Never owned the PM2 although I had one on loan from a friend for a while so I have a little experience with it.

I liked the PM2 but its just too big for my needs, so I got a para 3 instead and that is my go to EDC. If you are able to you should try to get your hands on a para 3 just to try it out before you make a decision. It's everything great about the PM2 in a smaller package and there are a ton of sprint runs for it right now. Its especially great with a Casey Lynch deep carry clip. I know I'm a Para 3 fanboy, sue me.

Anyways that's my 2 cents, can't wait to hear what you decide.
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
SG89

Re: Replacing the love of my life (PM2)

Post by SG89 »

I have the Brown G10 S35vn, before that I had the S30v DLC OD Green G10, Grey G10 Cruwear, and the Elmax Foliage Green G10. I can never really shake my PM2 love no matter how hard I try. I like the Para 3 suggestion as well with the aftermarket deep carry clip
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

Treat yourself to something special. If you can hold onto a knife for years, get one you will love using everyday. I personally love the PM2. My dream PM2 was the red DLT Sprint, and with help from a new friend, I was able to get one.

I own all the options you listed, and my favorite of those options is the CF M4 exclusive. The CF is grippy, almost like the G-10 on your old knife. The M4 is great, but will need more care than your old steel.

The Manix 2 or Manix 2 Lightweight is also a great knife, just very different. Different blade shape, opening system, and ergonomics.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

My choice i feel would serve you well, also i keep mine in front clipped to my pants not a pocket unless you lose your pants you won't lose your new PM2.
https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/stor ... =SP81GPBN2
SG89

Post by SG89 »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:17 pm
My choice i feel would serve you well, also i keep mine in front clipped to my pants not a pocket unless you lose your pants you won't lose your new PM2.
https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/stor ... =SP81GPBN2
Great choice!
Spydergirl88
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I think you owe it to yourself to try something new. The Manix2 is a great choice, and often compared to the PM2 in size and use. You can always sell it and get another PM2 if you don't like it.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:30 pm
I think you owe it to yourself to try something new. The Manix2 is a great choice, and often compared to the PM2 in size and use. You can always sell it and get another PM2 if you don't like it.
There is sure nothing that is wrong with that recommendation, i also have one of them great Manix2s.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP101G ... de-blue-pu
anycal

Post by anycal »

I am a huge PM2 fan, specifically the cruwear. If it was me and I knew for certain that I would only keep one knife, I would get the PM2. But if I was to get another one somewhere down the line, I would definitely try the Manix

Peter
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:34 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:30 pm
There is sure nothing that is wrong with that recommendation, i also have one of them great Manix2s.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP101G ... de-blue-pu
Picture of my PM2 Limited Edition and Manix2 Blue/Purple.
Attachments
Spyderco Manix2&PPara Military2.jpg.JPG
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I just can’t resist advocating for the 52100 PM2, as long as corrosion resistance is not high on your list (which it doesn’t appear to be) you might REALLY love that variant, and it still available but who knows for how long! It’s just sooo darn nice...
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Sorry to hear you lost an old friend.

I bounce back and forth between the PM2 and Manix as my favorite knife.

One review I read ages ago said something like, "think of the PM2 as James Bond and the Manix as Rambo" or something of the sort, if that communicates anything to you. Yeah, it is corny, but it does capture something of what each knife is about. If you can get a Manix in hand, you may be amazed. For my hands anyway, it is as if the Manix was made expressly for me personally.

A Manix to consider is the spectacular 52100 exclusive with DLC coating and grey G10 -- one of the best looking knives I have, but just be aware that 52100 is not "stainless". Worth considering if it is still available, and it looks like it is at Knifeworks.

I've been carrying my S110V Manix all week, and you certainly can't beat that knife. You have a lot of excellent choices.

The smooth black Cruwear PM2 is a fine knife. You certainly won't go wrong if that is what you settle on.

I get a lot of satisfaction out of owning and carrying knives that are out of the ordinary, i.e. exclusives or sprints rather than regular production knives. It just makes them a little more special, interesting, and fun.
dman62

Post by dman62 »

I have both those PM2 variants. Sounds like you are in a wet environment so I’d pick the blurple model.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Dlt trading will be releasing this soon. Would you be interested OP?
Spydergirl88
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Adamweld,

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry for your loss. I believe you will find more folks on this forum will understand more than most. While I cannot recommend a model, I can suggest that are several directions in choice; You can keep eating the same flavor ice cream ( I almost always get chocolate ), or try to tastes as many flavors as you can as I do with my knives and try something new?

enjoy whatever you choose.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I would suggest the Knifeworks exclusive DLC 52100 Manix 2. It is one of the best looking knives I own, it is an exclusive, 52100 is a great steel, it has DLC coating, and it is a tough knife like you want. I have been buying, trying, and selling Spydies now like a mad man and I have decided that the PM2 doesnt fit any of my needs. I go with the Native and Para 3 for EDC and Manix and Military for bigger knives, then a ton of different Salts for various things. The Manix is great. You did the PM2 for 8 years, give the Manix a shot. If you hate it, sell it. No big deal. Enjoy!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

the cruware, also consider 52100 and forcing a patina.
Luke2236

Post by Luke2236 »

Personally the pm2 just doesn’t do anything for me I like the manix. However I really like M4. For me it’s about the best knife steel there is.
Wanted: M4 PM 2 or manix M4.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd go with a Shaman or Sliverax.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'm going to throw in for consideration 3 models people haven't listed:
1. The Bradley 2. About the same price as the cruwear pm2 but it is m4 steel and has a great hollow grind.
2. The Leaf Shaped Carribean. LC200n is great. Holds an edge well, is tough, sharpens nicely, and is rust proof. Compression lock that you know and love.
3. Manix 2 Backlock. It is a chunkier version of the manix with a fat, smooth backlock. Highly recommend.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!