POLL: Guess Sal's EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

POLL: Which one of these knives did Sal EDC the most?

Kiwi
No votes
Manix
No votes
Delica
7%
Endura
1%
Worker
4%
Military
3%
Stretch
43%
Manbug
31%
Dragonfly
7%
Para-Military
1%

Total votes: 67

Hopweaver

POLL: Guess Sal's EDC

Post by Hopweaver »

One of these has seen more pocket time than the rest. Hopefully Sal will let us know the answer in a couple of days.

NOTE: This is not his favorite EDC. Simply the most carried knife from the list above. Polls are capped at 10 options. It was hard to narrow it down to 10 models.
Last edited by Hopweaver on Fri May 18, 2018 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
attila

Re: POLL: Guess Sal's EDC

Post by attila »

LC200N Pacific Salt, unless if he's done testing it. If so, I hope they're released soon!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Wot no Tatanka?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I chose manbug... He's probably carrying a V-TOKU2 manbug right now
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Nate

Post by Nate »

Where's the CRKT Wrinkle 2 poll option? :D
:spyder:
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Last time I saw him mention it, he had a Roadie and Shaman.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I voted Military. Let’s hope Sal will reveal us his favorite edc. This is the best kept secret on this forum. Sal is like the oracle from Delphi : you will never know what he really means :D He will immerse us in an ocean of confusion with one of his famous Zen sayings... that if he decides to throw us a bone :)
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I went with the Worker because it was the first knife. I thought maybe it wound up in his pocket more since it has been around the longest.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I vaguely remember Mr Glesser mention he carries a Manbug regularly but I’d imagine he carries anything that takes his fancy. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Manbug
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

I can't say as I have a favorite. Between the protos, which always require carry to make sure things are working well, where I am and what I'm doing, it's always different. If I'm carrying a larger knife, I try to add a smaller knife for public. Yesterday I carried the new D'Allara. Trying to figure out how to refine the design.

sal
Strider

Post by Strider »

I would have voted caly
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I just hope Sal enjoys all of this as much as the people on the forum seem to.

I thought to myself, how would I answer if someone asked me this. It would vary. My choices vary according to my mood, what I am doing, what knives have captured my interest recently. Sometimes I like to carry an old neglected favorite. There are all kinds of variables. It is not unlike asking "what is the best knife steel?". It is good to get out of the mindset that asks that sort of question. Like going to a restaurant and asking what is the best thing on the menu. The answer of course is the liver and onions. Hopefully the restaurant has lots of great options and is worth visiting time and again to try them all.

I am not trying to be presumptuous and answer for Sal, I am just waxing philosophical about all of this. I often ask someone who has just come back from a trip, "what were some of the best experiences", rather than "what was the best thing on the trip."
Pa. Woodsman

Post by Pa. Woodsman »

I figured Sal would carry the Manix2 mid back lock and a Dragonfly. The new D'allara3 is my hands down favorite. It's been my edc for the past year or so. Sal this blade can do it all. To me, it's an all around work horse. From a great hunting knife to small task around the house. I really appreciate how smooth and easy the blade opens, and it needing a deliberate thumb and index finger to close. No accidental closing this blade. Sorry to stray from subject.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I voted for the Man Bug because I recall Sal saying he carries that at times, but, I almost went for the Stretch because he designed that one, too, and has carried it. But he has also said he carries a Pacific Salt.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

sal wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:08 am
I can't say as I have a favorite. Between the protos, which always require carry to make sure things are working well, where I am and what I'm doing, it's always different. If I'm carrying a larger knife, I try to add a smaller knife for public. Yesterday I carried the new D'Allara. Trying to figure out how to refine the design.

sal

sal, I have two questions related to this if I may ask:

1 Based on what you see and feel with the new D`Allara, what are some refinements and improvements you would put on it, to make it a better EDC knife for you?

2 Would you or have you ever carried the new Lc200N Caribbean as an EDC knife, or, would you once it becomes more available?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SEF,

1. the major complaint seems to be difficult in unlocking. I think I've got some changes to make it easier.

2. I carry a Caribbean quite often. Carried a serrated one yesterday. I have to carry new designs often to be able to see what needs to be improved.

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

sal wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 2:47 pm
Hi SEF,

1. the major complaint seems to be difficult in unlocking. I think I've got some changes to make it easier.

2. I carry a Caribbean quite often. Carried a serrated one yesterday. I have to carry new designs often to be able to see what needs to be improved.

sal
Compression lock is the answer to all questions... lol

How is the edge retention on the lc200n vs H1? I am leaning towards the sheepsfoot SE.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
FX sniper

Post by FX sniper »

Cold Steel Voyager XL
sal

Post by sal »

Edge retention is a bit better on LC, but corrosion resistance is a bit better on H1.

sal