What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:03 pm
Ha ha! :D

I haven't tried giving a lemon slice to Eric yet. :D
Just a thought mate. Ah, hahaha! :p :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

More of the same:

- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
orangejuice

Post by orangejuice »

Had to break out the Maxamet to open a bag of chips for game day yesterday.
Drink juice
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

orangejuice wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:18 pm
a bag of chips for game day yesterday.
orangejuice

Post by orangejuice »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:46 pm
orangejuice wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:18 pm
a bag of chips for game day yesterday.
So accurate...
Drink juice
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

orangejuice wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:51 pm
So accurate...
:p
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

That’s why it’s so good to have a tile floor and a dog. Stand up, brush off, crumbs magically disappear. Wife gives the hairy eyeball.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Cleaning and maintenance.

With yet another snowy Saturday, step daughter gone for the day with her father and my wife feeling under the weather, I decided to give some TLC to about half of my Spydercos.

I dissembled my 2 PM2's, 3 Para 3's and my Gayle Bradley 2. I'm surprised at how many people are afraid to do this with their knives, especially these models. Extremely easy and very simple designs to these knives!

Pop the blade out, wipe everything down with alcohol wipes. A blade and 2 washers. Such a simple design. I applied BM blue lube to each side of the washers and the track on the blades. A little bit of blue loctite to all the screws. Good to go! I've had most of these knives a little over a year and they are rotated with other knives. I'm surprised at how dirty they had became internally. They all had pretty good action, but now they all seem much smoother. Well worth the effort, and nice to see how they operate behind the scales and liners.

With the Para 3's and PM2's I then cleaned the G10 scales differently than usual. I normally use a toothbrush and some Dawn. I saw a YouTube video the other day where someone used Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Wow... that's the way to do it! Cleaned them up in no time without making much of a mess or worrying about soapy water in the pivot areas. That's my new go to. They look great.

All in all, I spent around an hour and half and accomplished quite a bit. All while the wife took a nap. Once she was up I told her what I had been doing, all proud of myself. What does she say??? "You owe me a new box of Magic Eraser" hahaha :p

I was close to doing a blade and hardware swap with my PM2's. I have the DLC olive drab and the earth brown models. Was tempted to give the earth brown scales the DLC treatment and black hardware...but I just love that OD green with the DLC. Maybe another time.

Sorry to get so long winded!!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Nice. I just did some cleaning and maintenance on my REX 45 Military, which was pretty dirty after a month of carrying. I took the entire thing apart, cleaned thoroughly with alcohol. The G-10 scales were pretty grubby so I boiled them in water for a bit and scrubbed on them with hot soapy water. It cleaned them up fairly nicely but now the color seems kind of dried out and faded. Ill have to see what I can do to revitalize them sometime.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I was wondering when you would get around to cleaning up those scales! Sorry to hear about your results. I've seen a bunch of videos where people boil them, haven't seen or heard of that happening. Dried out, meaning you had a hard time flexing them a bit to get back on the liners and in position for the screws?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:52 pm
Nice. I just did some cleaning and maintenance on my REX 45 Military, which was pretty dirty after a month of carrying. I took the entire thing apart, cleaned thoroughly with alcohol. The G-10 scales were pretty grubby so I boiled them in water for a bit and scrubbed on them with hot soapy water. It cleaned them up fairly nicely but now the color seems kind of dried out and faded. Ill have to see what I can do to revitalize them sometime.
Hey Connor, Ballistol seems to work well at rejuvenating G-10. I haven’t been using it very long but I wipe down new G-10 scales with it and it seems to work as a bit of a barrier to and may be worth a look. :)

I love my Rex45 Millie but the Burnt Orange isn’t my favourite colour. :rolleyes:
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:27 pm
The Meat man wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:52 pm
Hey Connor, Ballistol seems to work well at rejuvenating G-10. I haven’t been using it very long but I wipe down new G-10 scales with it and it seems to work as a bit of a barrier to and may be worth a look. :)

I love my Rex45 Millie but the Burnt Orange isn’t my favourite colour. :rolleyes:

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I know I've heard JD recommend it too.

Burnt Orange isn't my favorite either - I prefer a more subdued color like black or dark blue or green.
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:11 pm
I was wondering when you would get around to cleaning up those scales! Sorry to hear about your results. I've seen a bunch of videos where people boil them, haven't seen or heard of that happening. Dried out, meaning you had a hard time flexing them a bit to get back on the liners and in position for the screws?

No, just the color seemed faded and less vibrant than before. I've heard stories about how G-10 can get "dried out" like that after boiling or sanding or something. Not sure exactly what is going on since I thought G-10 was impervious to moisture.

Either way it's not too big of a deal for me. Even though I can be pretty picky about some things, handle scale color was never one of them. :)
- Connor

MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Sliced up one of those pesky large plastic salad containers. Wife went for the scissors but I said let me do it. She said you really like to cut things with your knife. This being true I opened the Chaparral FRN and sliced happily away.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Cut tags off new boardies ... got to love a splinter probe tip :rolleyes:

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Used the spine of my Chap as a "screwdriver".. or, to put it better, to to fixate the counterpart of an Esee Laser Strike handle screw while fastening it with a washer. Worked well, no damage, and I had no dedicated tools with me in the woods... funny, how things always seem to come loose exactly on the very rare occasions when I DON`T carry at least a small multitool... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Opening a pack of card sleeves for a game (for which you absolutely don't need a Military... but I like excuses for a Spydie flick) :p
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Helping my youngest to open her birthday presents, the best kind of use I can think of!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:20 pm
Helping my youngest to open her birthday presents, the best kind of use I can think of!
Even better if there was a knife in the package... :D (assuming she's old enough and likes knives! Anyway, happy birthday to her.. :) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:39 pm
Mr Blonde wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:20 pm
Even better if there was a knife in the package... :D (assuming she's old enough and likes knives! Anyway, happy birthday to her.. :) )
Thank you, no knives yet for gifts. I'd like to see her get a little older and 'calmed down' :D before that happens. No worries, I already started her EDC loadout so she can hit the ground running when she's ready. :p
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram