What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by The Meat man »

Bloke wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:04 pm
I just checked my make up with my mirror polished bevels. :cool:

Lol! :D

Bloke, you're too much! :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Food prep for Mother's Day, this + an Earthquake cake!

blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

My first morel hunt. Got a little handful.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Ha my buddy is into foraging for shrooms and was asking for a dedicated knife. I steered him to the Tasman salt PE. I gifted him a sheepsfoot Atlantic salt PE a while back that he uses for boating.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Mora makes a dedicated mushroom knife. I took a mushroom foraging class a while back and the instructor had one. I use my PE Lil Matriarch and think that the PE Tasman is probably a great option.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 6:30 am
Mora makes a dedicated mushroom knife. I took a mushroom foraging class a while back and the instructor had one. I use my PE Lil Matriarch and think that the PE Tasman is probably a great option.
I haven't seen Mora's before. I know Opinel has one, but like to just carry a pocket knife in case I need to use it for other things when I'm out in the woods. The PM2 is so versatile. Maybe I'll glue a little brush to the back of it...

Maybe Sal and Eric could make a spydie mushroom knife!
bearfacedkiller

Mora does make one but that wasn't what I meant to say. The instructor had an Opinel mushroom knife. I got my awesome bargain knife brands mixed up. :confused:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

I've been considering the Opinel. I'm sure I'll end up with one at some point... probably this fall when the more abundant PNW mushroom season comes.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 6:30 am
Ha my friend actually sent me a link to a dedicated one (don’t remember brand) and said “does Spyderco make something like this?” He’s not a knife enthusiast but he is a convert to reliable high performance. And being a sailor as well I’m sure he liked the prospect of it being multi use.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

How timely you ask this question :D Because believe it or not while I was in the hospital last week I was using my ATS-55 Stainless Handled RESCUE model in full SE for something just about every two to four hours. I was even helping the nurses open all kinds of packages with medical hardware and those food items that would come with my meals you couldn't open some of those vacuum packed packages without the help of my Stainless handled RESCUE. I even had one of the nurses tell me how cool it was :D

Since I've been home I've had a lot of stuff delivered to me that I've had to open with one of my Spyders. I've given this some thought. Many years ago ( 30+) before I carried a blade daily it seemed like I could get by without one even though it was somewhat inconvenient. But now that I carry at least two Spyderco folders daily I "CAN't" get by without at least one folder on me at all, but I preferably like two ( one PE & one SE).

These Spyders are almost like cell phones and computers>> they are luxuries that have become necessities :rolleyes:
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Resized_20180513_142134.jpeg
So this is the wife yesterday cutting up some cheese for a pasta salad. This is the first time she's EVER asked to use one of my knives, which I was psyched about! So I figured, she has tiny hands (wears a size 4 ring) I'll let her use the Chaparral. Leave the room for a minute and come back in to see her using it with two hands! I told/showed her how using the ramp, though obviously very slight on the Chap, would help her with the leverage and allow her to hold the brick of cheese with the other hand. She didn't like the way the jimping felt though. Baby steps here, but trending in the right direction :)
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

RickC27 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:11 am
Resized_20180513_142134.jpeg

So this is the wife yesterday cutting up some cheese for a pasta salad. This is the first time she's EVER asked to use one of my knives, which I was psyched about! So I figured, she has tiny hands (wears a size 4 ring) I'll let her use the Chaparral. Leave the room for a minute and come back in to see her using it with two hands! I told/showed her how using the ramp, though obviously very slight on the Chap, would help her with the leverage and allow her to hold the brick of cheese with the other hand. She didn't like the way the jimping felt though. Baby steps here, but trending in the right direction :)

Absolutely! :)
The other day I was helping my wife prepare supper, always glad for a chance to use my latest Spyderco, in this case my new S110V Military. I chopped up a bunch of celery and onions and she was actually impressed!

I'm thinking about getting her a ladybug, or else maybe a Spydiechef she can use in the kitchen. See if I can get her hooked too. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

She did like how well it sliced, though I told her it would work even better if she tried it my way...didn't press the issue as I didn't want to ruin the moment haha.

Spydiechef for "her"...right! Hahah, that's a good one!
attila

Post by attila »

I used the Spydie that got me hooked to open my newest :spyder:

And for those who may be wondering (didn't buy or haven't received yet), this is how thick they are:Image

For some reason, I was under the impression that they were roughly 1/8" thick, but that was due to the pictures I have seen making these look thicker than they really are. It's not a problem, just different from what I had thought.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Used my Millie to chop up tomatoes for tonight's taco dinner.

I think I use it more for food prep than anything else. :cool:
- Connor

Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Used my 52100 Mille to open some mail, minimize some cardboard and open a bulk salt container.
stompin_boots

Post by stompin_boots »

Ripped into a 10lb bag of mussels with my s30v pm2. love this thing, just got it a couple weeks ago, first spyderco, thing is a tank, has not left my pocket since i got it
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I just used my SE Salt to trim up some Lantana that's growing like crazy in the planter in front of our house.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Scraping some pierce splatter off of a sheet of stainless steel. Of course, I used the spine.
- Connor

bearfacedkiller

Mmmm... Guilty pleasures....

I made myself half of a smoked liverwurst sandwich. Why half? Well, it isn't very good for you. Of course after I ate it I made another half. :) Should have just made the whole thing.
-Darby