Smock Flipper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
goonielife

Re: Smock Flipper

Post by goonielife »

Ugg, so basically it doesn't close all the way unless you push the blade closed (secondary detent).
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

As long as it can be done with one hand it shouldn't be an issue though.
goonielife

Post by goonielife »

RickC27 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:30 pm
As long as it can be done with one hand it shouldn't be an issue though.
Won't be an issue. I'm just a bit disappointed because so far nobody makes something like this that can just close, without the second detent. I've got a Hogue flipper that has a button lock and a second detent, I'm just really into drop closing (to be fair, I fiddle more than I cut).
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

If that's true then my guess is it's done to avoid gravity knife or switch blade laws. Safety too. I wouldn't want to be carrying that clipped in my left pocket where anything hitting my pocket could trigger the button lock and have the blade partially open, even if it is just against the seam of my pocket.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

I’ve got the Smock SK23 custom. I have never had any issues with it coming open accidentally. I assume however, if Spyderco added a second detent, it was for a reason and I’m sure it will work fine. I also have one of the Hogue button locks with detent system and I can close it by pressing the button and a light wrist flick, fidget factor approved. I just hope I can manage to get the Spyderco Smock here in Canada...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

koenigsegg wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:48 pm
fanglekai wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:48 pm
If it's carried in the left hand is it likely the button could be depressed accidentally?
Eric said the button won't open the blade
Accidental closure is what I was thinking about.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

fanglekai wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:00 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
fanglekai wrote:
If it's carried in the left hand is it likely the button could be depressed accidentally?
Accidental closure is what I was thinking about.
Ah sorry I misunderstood
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

goonielife wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:42 am
koenigsegg wrote:
fanglekai wrote:
WAIT, WHAT????
After watching some videos again, I have to ask, does pushing the button move the detent out of the way when closing? The original smock can be opened by a wrist flick with the button pressed, and closes completely with the button pushed in.
Does this require an extra push to get past the detent when closing (regardless if the button is pushed)?
I have the custom and I would imagine they’re similar. One button press to close. It’s a lot of fun to play with and the button gives you a lot of control over how fast/slow you want the blade to move.

Edit: just saw the video, not sure how smooth it will be with a double detent, either way... will be amazing
Tank

Post by Tank »

The knife in the videos from Shot and the Oregon Knife show that Eric showing off has clip mounting holes for left hand carry . The catalog only shows it as right hand carry, Why did they ditch ambi carry option on the production model? I really wanted one but I cannot when no carry option for a lefty.
goonielife

Post by goonielife »

The catalog image is older, the dual mounting options are new, so the production model will have abmi carry option.
Oogie

Post by Oogie »

The more see design details being discussed, the more I start adjusting expectations that the Smock may be more of a Q3 or Q4 release this year.
jacala

Post by jacala »

Oogie
Possibly a dumb question ??
Q3 orQ4 ?
Thanks.
jacala

Post by jacala »

I think I’m losing weight each day while I’m waiting the release of this knife !
Not sure if I’ll be around ?.Spyderco could be my saviour ?
Also costing me Coronas by the carton $$$$$$
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

jacala wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:17 am
Oogie
Possibly a dumb question ??
Q3 orQ4 ?
Thanks.
He's referring to the quarters of the year.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
jacala

Post by jacala »

Sharp Guy.
Thanks.
Well, I hope Q3.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Can anyone confirm that the second detent means the button alone does not close the blade? It's not clear from the video because Eric doesn't demonstrate it.
goonielife

Post by goonielife »

What it looks like, and based on a similar terminology on some Hogue knives, there is a detent that is stationary, or likely on some sort of flexible bar, which is not part of the lock. This detent would provide the resistance to opening to allow good flipper action and also prevent the knife from opening if the button lock is pressed ( demonstrated in the video, if you aren't flipping or manually opening the blade). But since it is not part of the lock, pressing the button to release the lock will let the blade drop almost all the way closed, then hit the second detent and have to be pushed past it. Based on video, it is probably a very small amount of movement to close past the second detent.
biZ

Post by biZ »

The transition from thinking about Smock all day to playing with Smock all day is going to be awesome!
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

https://youtu.be/U9x_Dgr-pQE
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Thanks for posting that update video! Well...I guess I'm happy with the changes, though the pocket clip looks like it's going to make the carry ride very high, so yet another $20 we're going to have to spend for a deep carry. Possibly another 6 months out for a release date isn't what I wanted to hear either! Oh well, they say "patience is a virtue"