Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Shaman sprint steel, refined

Cruwear
39%
M4
11%
10V
4%
Vanax
7%
204P
14%
LC200N
8%
Maxamet
6%
4V
7%
3V
4%

Total votes: 270

mb1

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Post by mb1 »

I agree @ZrowsN1s on the name thing. Native XL would've made sense to me, but there's probably enough of a design change they felt like a new name was needed.

This model hasn't really grabbed me, and I'm not even sure why. Maybe it's the chunky factor. Same stock thickness as a Military with more weight and less blade...but shorter overall...I dunno. I did get to handle one and it feels perfect in hand. Those contoured scales rock.

That said, I will give one a shot in the micarta/Cruwear package. That's just too good to pass up.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Like Curly said, if you guys got a chance to handle a Shaman you would love it. Its an impressive knife in person. I get alot of compliments when people get to check mine out.

It's not even my type of knife, I'm more of a slicer guy, but I was so impressed when I handled one in a gun store I had to have it. The weight and feel of it was unlike any Spyderco I've handled. Those contours on the g10 leave a lasting impression. Super comfy and has a very robust feel.

Micarta and Cruwear will be a dream come true.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:19 am
Like Curly said, if you guys got a chance to handle a Shaman you would love it. Its an impressive knife in person. I get alot of compliments when people get to check mine out.

It's not even my type of knife, I'm more of a slicer guy, but I was so impressed when I handled one in a gun store I had to have it. The weight and feel of it was unlike any Spyderco I've handled. Those contours on the g10 leave a lasting impression. Super comfy and has a very robust feel.

Micarta and Cruwear will be a dream come true.

Awesome to hear. Love all of these great reviews! Can't wait for the Cruwear Micarta and seriously hope to see a BHQ DLC M4/Jade and a DLC Rex45 sprint.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

One thing I think the Shaman has over the PM2 or Military is tip strength.

I have plunged this 1/4 inch into aged oak and levered it out. No damage at all, and I guarantee there's not a lot in Spyderco's lineup that can do that.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Agreed, the lack of a distal taper is what sets this knife apart in the Spyderco lineup.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:46 am
Agreed, the lack of a distal taper is what sets this knife apart in the Spyderco lineup.

I hope to see it in more models, it's part of why I love my Sliverax. I wish they'd do a wharnie like the Yojimbo 2 this way, FFG with no distal taper.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:46 am
it has one, but it starts ~1 inch back from the tip. You can see where the taper grind begins in the right light.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Although I think Cruwear won the poll,

I would personally like to see m390, or keep it all American and throw in CTS 240p.
Here are some pictures I fished up from the web with a Shaman sporting custom micarta scales (wish the resolution was bigger).
Needless to say this gets me even more
excited for the inevitable sprint run. I've been using my Shaman all day, not only enjoying the knife but imaging the possibilities.
Attachments
shamanmic2.JPG
shamanmic.JPG
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:36 am
Although I think Cruwear won the poll,

I would personally like to see m390, or keep it all American and throw in CTS 240p.
Here are some pictures I fished up from the web with a Shaman sporting custom micarta scales (wish the resolution was bigger).
Needless to say this gets me even more
excited for the inevitable sprint run. I've been using my Shaman all day, not only enjoying the knife but imaging the possibilities.

those look great. i think sal said the scales were going to be a light brown. i would much prefer something like you have shown here. i love burgundy micarta and green micarta. that black micarta looks nice too. and denim micarta is quite interesting.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I think Sal said it was going to be the same as the Temp 2

I agree that denim micarta would be absolutely cool and probably sell quickly. There's a type of black micarta that looks worn out and is also very cool.

They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

This is going to be awesome.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:10 pm
This is going to be awesome.

Agreed. :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If it's the darker shade of denim micarta then I support it 110%, however I am also totally down with plain old brown like the Temperance.

I would like to make a formal request for more dramatic contouring though...it really shows the grains in the micarta better when the handle is sculpted like that Temp 2 up above.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

^^ yes! Coke bottle contouring :cool:
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I wouldn't mind keeping the current contouring as it helps pocket-friendliness.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:31 am
I wouldn't mind keeping the current contouring as it helps pocket-friendliness.

+1
timlara

Post by timlara »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:39 pm

Handling is believing. I've seen people who've complained about it being "not a $180 knife" handle it and come away raving.

I'm honestly tempted to carry it more just to provide an opportunity for the skeptics to handle it.

Of course, it's also my favorite spyderco now.

Yup, I agree! I stopped by the SFO and finally handled a Shaman today and it was very hard to walk out of there without buying it on the spot. Even though the SFO price is significantly higher than the online dealers (so as not to compete), I still thought it was worth it once in hand. Only my spydie-senses regarding this thread kept me from pulling the trigger... ;)
Tim
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I think Rex45 is a good choice for the Shaman, being a good balance of toughness and cutting performance. I'll also gladly be in the minority and say DLC would look really nice (black on black, or dark colored scales w/DLC).
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Very excited about this
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:42 pm
Very excited about this
+1
Actually watched one of your vids today using a Shamen! S30 test on rope....I think. Anywho, hopefully it will be a large quantity sprint.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049