Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Shaman sprint steel, refined

Cruwear
39%
M4
11%
10V
4%
Vanax
7%
204P
14%
LC200N
8%
Maxamet
6%
4V
7%
3V
4%

Total votes: 270

ZrowsN1s

Re: Updated shaman sprint steel poll

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It's a really well executed design
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:02 pm
I handled the Shaman as a prototype like three years ago and remember really liking it. I finally picked one up and wow! Amazing! It is a sturdy and well built knife capable of hard use without being a sharpened pry bar. I am really digging it. Bring on the Cruwear! I am down for 4V too but in my experience Cruwear is way more corrosion resistant so I lean that way.
No doubt. I'm very excited to get this beast in Cruwear. I'm just drumming up more 4V votes hoping St.Nicks Knives makes this knife in their exclusive configuration like with the Para3 :D
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
ΖΞΓΛ

Post by ΖΞΓΛ »

I like Cruwear but I voted 4V for this run.
levs18

Post by levs18 »

Is there any indication of timeline?
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I voted M4. I'd love to see it with DLC and coyote brown G10.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

4V, Maxamet, or CTS 204P with marbled carbon fiber scales please! I will throw down... I was planning on taking a part my Shaman tomorrow for a deep clean :)
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

mpcgimli wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:21 am
Respectfully, I do not understand why so many here prefer a steel of the tougher class, i.e. CRUWEAR, 3V, 4V to a steel of the S90V, S110V or M390 class for the Shaman sprint.
I thought the main benefit of a tougher steel for folding knives is that it allows for a thinner blade, edge geometry etc. without sacrificing toughness compared to a thicker blade made out of a less tough steel.

Because of the thickness of the Shaman-blade, I believe it should still be very tough, and allow for hard use , even with a steel like S90V.

To sum it up, I believe that the additional toughness of the blade we would get from using a steel like CRUWEAR over e.g. S90V is less significant than the additional wear-resistance we would get from using a steel like S90V over e.g. CRUWEAR.
Basically, in comparison to most other spyderco's, the model begs to be used a bit harder. It has the ergonomics and construction for rougher tasks and looks like it would survive more mistakes than your average spyderco. By choosing a high alloy, high wear resistance (and relatively low toughness) steel and giving it a regrind, you'd effectively be taking these advantages away. It would be more like an average spyderco. I almost look at it as putting a twin turbo setup and stall converter on a truck when you could just buy a corvette. The truck is made for work from the factory.

If every single spyderco was a dedicated slicer, I probably wouldn't be here. I'd own 2-3 spyderco's max and would find myself using other brands more often. I really like that spyderco has some diversity in its line-up. I know I'm in the vast minority here but I want Sal to know that there is a "hard use" audience here. I love my slicers just as much as the next guy, but I also like the idea of using a high quality knife (like spyderco) for any and all tasks I come across at work. Cruwear, among a few other steels, is a superior choice for this. I carry s110v at work daily but end up using 8cr13mov more often. To me it doesn't make sense to get a Shaman you have to be cautious with.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
levs18

Post by levs18 »

Pelagic wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:40 pm
mpcgimli wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:21 am
Respectfully, I do not understand why so many here prefer a steel of the tougher class, i.e. CRUWEAR, 3V, 4V to a steel of the S90V, S110V or M390 class for the Shaman sprint.
I thought the main benefit of a tougher steel for folding knives is that it allows for a thinner blade, edge geometry etc. without sacrificing toughness compared to a thicker blade made out of a less tough steel.

Because of the thickness of the Shaman-blade, I believe it should still be very tough, and allow for hard use , even with a steel like S90V.

To sum it up, I believe that the additional toughness of the blade we would get from using a steel like CRUWEAR over e.g. S90V is less significant than the additional wear-resistance we would get from using a steel like S90V over e.g. CRUWEAR.
Basically, in comparison to most other spyderco's, the model begs to be used a bit harder. It has the ergonomics and construction for rougher tasks and looks like it would survive more mistakes than your average spyderco. By choosing a high alloy, high wear resistance (and relatively low toughness) steel and giving it a regrind, you'd effectively be taking these advantages away. It would be more like an average spyderco. I almost look at it as putting a twin turbo setup and stall converter on a truck when you could just buy a corvette. The truck is made for work from the factory.

If every single spyderco was a dedicated slicer, I probably wouldn't be here. I'd own 2-3 spyderco's max and would find myself using other brands more often. I really like that spyderco has some diversity in its line-up. I know I'm in the vast minority here but I want Sal to know that there is a "hard use" audience here. I love my slicers just as much as the next guy, but I also like the idea of using a high quality knife (like spyderco) for any and all tasks I come across at work. Cruwear, among a few other steels, is a superior choice for this. I carry s110v at work daily but end up using 8cr13mov more often. To me it doesn't make sense to get a Shaman you have to be cautious with.
Great thought here and i’m in the same camp with you. I have slicers and I have hard use knives. To me, the Shaman is a hard use knife. Micarta ups the ante to an even higher level and it should have a hard use steel (i.e. cruwear, 3v, M4) to compliment it.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

This poll has been open since May. I quickly went through and counted the votes for S90V. Maybe i missed a vote or two.

If S90V had been in this poll the count would be tallied at 3, the lowest of the mentioned steels by far. It was so low that i hope spyderco doesn't perceive a hard to sell sprint run with S90V as a benchmark of the possibilities regarding the shaman.

S90V basically isn't on anyone's radar as a must have. Though a major factor is the big dog, Sal, who wants S90V. We'll see how this plays out.

For those dealers watching:
I'm hoping for a sprint with denim micarta or marbled carbon fiber and stonewashed cruwear or even AEBL. I'm fair concerning prices, if you try to gouge me i won't think of buying from you regardless of the materials.

This is a great platform to play with. Please, keep it reasonable.

To keep it in perspective, i personally wouldn't pay $115 for a S30V pm2 with g10. I don't have any regrets paying $200 +/- for a sprint pm2 with m4 in peel ply carbon fiber even though that was in the questionably price gouging territory. And I don't really like peel ply carbon fiber.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I just whipped out my cc as fast as I could for the KC preorder cruwear para3. That <$140 price point is reasonable for a steel I want. The rex45 knives and the M4 p3 were OK too. The CF ramps the price up too much for my taste, especially because I prefer the g10 to CF on feel as well as pricepoint. But I really like the feel of micarta, especially matte finished.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Bodog wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:34 am
This poll has been open since May. I quickly went through and counted the votes for S90V. Maybe i missed a vote or two.

If S90V had been in this poll the count would be tallied at 3, the lowest of the mentioned steels by far. It was so low that i hope spyderco doesn't perceive a hard to sell sprint run with S90V as a benchmark of the possibilities regarding the shaman.

S90V basically isn't on anyone's radar as a must have. Though a major factor is the big dog, Sal, who wants S90V. We'll see how this plays out.
Same with other models. S90V ain't special enough anymore, people rather have S110V. And even that ain't really special with all the blurples (which is a great thing).

I hope Spyderco is going to follow through with a Cruwear sprint. If it ever happens i would like to see the next(2nd) sprint/exclusive be stainless. I voted for Vanax which might be too pricey at this moment. But it might get some momentum now that Damasteel is using it (N11X, same thing) in their newest steel. If it gets produced more prices should come down. I really think this steel is worth a premium. But M390/204p/20CP is very stainless and would be great too of course. We have seen 204p and 20CV priced very competitively in recent exclusives.
FreedomPullo

Post by FreedomPullo »

I am not sure if an S90V or CTS204p/M390 sprint would be enough to get me to buy another. It’s a GREAT user that needs a high toughness steel, preferably something that would from a patina with use. I would love to see Denim Micarta (my favorite handle material for fixed blades) and Cruwear.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

How about an update crumb or two in this one?
Justin
attila

Post by attila »

sal wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:43 am
I'm pushing for a slot for a sprint, brown canvas Micarta and CPM Cruwear.

sal
Hi Sal,

We have been wondering when the micarta & CPM Cruwear Shaman sprint is going to arrive. I even asked the SFO about it a few times, but they had never heard of it. If you would be so kind, some hope for one in the near future would be nice.

Thank you!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

If it is an exclusive, I don't think Sal nor Spyderco will talk about it until the dealer announces.

Along with a bunch of us, I am eager for a Crucarta Shaman!
attila wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:11 am
sal wrote:

sal
Hi Sal,

We have been wondering when the micarta & CPM Cruwear Shaman sprint is going to arrive. I even asked the SFO about it a few times, but they had never heard of it. If you would be so kind, some hope for one in the near future would be nice.

Thank you!
attila

Post by attila »

Enactive wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:19 am
If it is an exclusive, I don't think Sal nor Spyderco will talk about it until the dealer announces.

attila wrote:
sal wrote:

sal
Hi Sal,

Thank you!
He said sprint, and I prefer sprints, so that's what I'm crossing my fingers and toes for. :)
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I am also still hoping to see the CRUWEAR micarta Shaman soon. I would be willing to bet that this one is going to be an insanely sought after knife, so I really hope they double the run by offering both stonewash and DLC options.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Here's hoping it comes soon!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Oh, cool. For some reason I had the (maybe mistaken) impression we were more likely to see it as an exclusive.

I can totally see the advantages of it being a sprint.
attila wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:52 am
Enactive wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:19 am

attila wrote:
sal wrote:

sal
Hi Sal,

Thank you!
He said sprint, and I prefer sprints, so that's what I'm crossing my fingers and toes for. :)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I am also waiting to see if BHQ releases a DLC follow up to the M4 Shaman like they have with most of the other models. I assume yes, the question is when?? Going to be hard for me to pass on that if there is still no confirmation of a Cruwear / Micarta Shaman.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red