KnifeCenter Exclusive CPM-Cruwear Paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GH9000

Re: KnifeCenter Exclusive CPM-Cruwear Paramilitary 2

Post by GH9000 »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 12:49 pm
I'm not changing my scales. I'd like to see more like these, honestly.
I like the scales too. Hope to see more as well.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I had reservations but I really like the smooth scales as well. It's my kind of a gentleman's knife.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Really, as soon as the knife is actually gripped, it's not going anywhere--the PM2 ergos will see to that. It's when you're pulling it out of a pocket or flicking it open, etc., situations where you're between grips, that you might miss your peel-ply G-10.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

dj moonbat wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:18 pm
Really, as soon as the knife is actually gripped, it's not going anywhere--the PM2 ergos will see to that. It's when you're pulling it out of a pocket or flicking it open, etc., situations where you're between grips, that you might miss your peel-ply G-10.
Agreed.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

I am absolutely in love with this edition. Perfectly centered, the action is buttery smooth right out of the box with solid lockup and no play anywhere. The smooth g10 feels so nice and subjectively speaking; it feels and looks quite exquisite. I am considering changing my wardrobe to suits and Ralph Lauren clothing to match the pm2. At work my boss wanted to speak to me, which was odd but he instantly complimented my person and doubled my wages and apologized he didn't do it sooner. Women can't stay away from me when they see it, which was fun at first but I feel like they only like me for my exquisite taste in knives, while I am a more wholesome person with a variety of qualities if I may say so myself.

The only downside is that it arrived at the same time as my new sage 5 - which I am loving way more than I thought I would.

https://i.imgur.com/JqRD1r8.jpg
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

dodgie02 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:42 pm

...The only downside is that it arrived at the same time as my new sage 5 - which I am loving way more than I thought I would.
In many ways the Sage 5 is my favorite Spyderco and my preferred EDC
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

sn0wman72 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:40 pm
dodgie02 wrote:

...The only downside is that it arrived at the same time as my new sage 5 - which I am loving way more than I thought I would.
I've been around the block both in spyderco knives and other brands, and truth be told I'm surprised at how quickly the sage 5 has gained my favor more and more, to the point of considering it my favorite folder. At first sight it looks quite plain, but in practice it's basically all you need in an edc blade. It's light, but the action/lockup/construction are all top notch. The blade to handle ratio is perfect, the thin s30v blade will slice through anything and leans itself to be easily sharpened to a scary edge. I managed to cut myself without noticing it after I took it past uf rods, from touching the edge with a light touch - no cutting motion or anything was involved.

It doesn't need cruwear, S110V or some other super steel, and I just can't find fault with it whatsoever in any other aspect. Perfection in simplicity is what comes to mind.

That being said, the pm2 will always be my most trusted 'companion'. Never has it failed me, nor do I expect it will. It'll handle all I throw at it and without effort. I usually carry 2 blades, the pm2 is always one of them and I rotate some smaller blades like a caly 3 (sprint)/delica/etc, but I don't see the sage leaving my pocket anytime soon. Sorry to steer this topic off the rails with the sage talk, I'm just quite surprised an impulse purchase ended up becoming the knife that has all I need or want from an edc carry.

The pm2 make me stop looking for my knife of preference in its size category, I can imagine the sage doing the same thing for me. With these 2 I have all my needs and bases covered and then some. Guess it's been a good week haha.
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

sn0wman72 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:40 pm
dodgie02 wrote:

You guys don't find the Taichung compression locks to be much stiffer than the Golden ones? I had a Sage 5 but sold it and currently have a Silverax and both of their compression locks are/were rather stiff despite cleaning and numerous openings. Whereas the compression lock on this PM2 Cruwear (and the couple of other PM2's and Para 3 I have) are very smooth and not stiff at all. Have others experienced this or have I just been unlucky with the Taichungs?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Just got mine,

Not sure how I feel about the scales.

I like that it's not going to tear up my pants. It does have a very very subtle "grip" to it so it's not "glass" smooth.

Hrmmm

It just looks very boring. It doesn't have the contours of the shaman to expose the layers of g10 to give it some "pop"

It's just a flat dust black, has a zytel look to it. Very plain Jane.

I'm thinking about hitting mine on a buffing wheel to bring out a better contrast on the g10.

It would have been rad to have something close to contours of the shaman scales this model.

Think I'll chamfer the scales too. Not a fan of the blocky feel after carrying a Shaman.

Love the price and availability though.

Score
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I think I like the scales just enough to not swap them. I'm at least not in a hurry to do it.

Do I wish they were identical to the scales on my 204p military? Absolutely. Those are perfect.

As previously mentioned, you kind of get a feeling like the knife could slip out of your hand when flicking it open or closed. In use, it's absolutely fine.

Still thinking of my own way to remedy this possibly. For all I know some 40 grit sandpaper will work. This knife will be a user anyway, I'm not concerned with appearance despite it currently flirting with gentleman's folder status.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

So, hey: I finally decided that repeated opening/closing cycles wasn't going to loosen this thing's action enough to suit my tastes. But the pivot screws don't seem to be loosening at all.

To those who have disassembled these: did they use permanent thread locker?
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

dj moonbat wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 12:09 pm
So, hey: I finally decided that repeated opening/closing cycles wasn't going to loosen this thing's action enough to suit my tastes. But the pivot screws don't seem to be loosening at all.

Nope. Dissasembly mine to see about some lock Stick. Maybe they use blue loctite but no red/permanent.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Darth_cholo wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 5:18 pm
dj moonbat wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Nope. Dissasembly mine to see about some lock Stick. Maybe they use blue loctite but no red/permanent.
Cool. Finally, I grabbed the torx bit in a pair of vise grips. That did the trick.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

When I first got mine, fit and finish was great, centered, but the action was very stiff. Figured I would give it a few days to see if things improved before making any tweeks.

As days went on it seemed to be getting worse. Compression lock was really hard to press / deploy and had a loud click. Something was not right.

Instead of adjusting the pivot or taking the knife apart, I decided to just wash everything out really good, used some compressed air, Corrosion X, and some Blue Lube. All is perfect now. Something was definitely in there mucking it up, but now she is a clean little gem from Golden.
-C
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I love the steel, but have strong reservations about the scales. They are just too slick. I have the green G10 native with smooth scales, and it doesn't bother me on that small knife, but on the PM2 I want something with some tooth. Something like the satiny G10 on my backlock Manix would have been perfect.

But I suppose that is a matter of taste. Everything else about this knife is superb.
Lancerpt

Post by Lancerpt »

Still available as of now. Can’t decide on this one or the S35vn brown handle version about to come back. Choices choices.
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

Lancerpt wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:58 am
Still available as of now. Can’t decide on this one or the S35vn brown handle version about to come back. Choices choices.
Both. Winning!
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

Yes, the scales are slick. But I havent been able to have the knife slip out of my hands flicking it open thousand plus times and with light use. Heavy use, sweaty hands, etc. not to sure about. In my opinion, these are nice light use, gentleman or gentlewomen handles. And Cruwear, we'll you know. My blade came very sharp. -C
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Lancerpt wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:58 am
I'd go cruwear. I was just doing some body work and used mine to cut some bondo (just before it dried so I didn't have to do as much sanding) off of my car's front body panel. The edge came into contact with steel several times and the edge damage was extremely minor. Loving the steel so far.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

I have never dropped mine or thrown it across a room. Same for the native in smooth G10 that I have been carrying everyday since its release. I don't use my knife like a wii controller though. I think titanium handles are more slick than these, and people seem to manage. I do understand the concern if you are working in wet conditions, but there are plenty of other handle options for that.