KnifeCenter Exclusive CPM-Cruwear Paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: KnifeCenter Exclusive CPM-Cruwear Paramilitary 2

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Pelagic wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:20 pm

This is really puzzling me. I know most people prefer tip up, but I'd assume most of them spydie flick also... and I don't see how tip up could possibly be better. The detent is plenty strong enough on this pm2 to prevent accidental opening, and it doesn't free fall when the lock is disengaged (I prefer this, I don't like it free swinging). What am I missing?
I like tip down carry. I think what a lot of people have a problem with is the fear of it opening in pocket or having to carry the knife in the front of the pocket (towards your zipper instead of your hip).
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:33 pm
Pelagic wrote:

This is really puzzling me. I know most people prefer tip up, but I'd assume most of them spydie flick also... and I don't see how tip up could possibly be better. The detent is plenty strong enough on this pm2 to prevent accidental opening, and it doesn't free fall when the lock is disengaged (I prefer this, I don't like it free swinging). What am I missing?
I like tip down carry. I think what a lot of people have a problem with is the fear of it opening in pocket or having to carry the knife in the front of the pocket (towards your zipper instead of your hip).

For the approximately three thousand days I carried a tip-down knife I never had it accidentally open in my pocket. It was a detent linerlock too.

I know it's happened to other people but it's never been a concern for me. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Pelagic wrote:
Just switched my pocket clip BACK to TIP DOWN.

I've been carrying a Military for so long, I attributed this merely to habit. But it's actually MUCH less awkward to deploy, and deployment is MUCH faster. With tip up, I have to significantly alter my grip to spydie flick the knife open. With tip down, i pinch the pivot with my thumb and forefinger to bring the knife out of the pocket, and all I do is lessen the grip and allow the knife to fall straight down and it's already in position.

I think flicking with the thumb works better the way I've got it, which is tip up. But the past few days I was experimenting with flicking with the middle finger, and I think that would definitely work better tip down.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:30 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Just switched my pocket clip BACK to TIP DOWN.

I've been carrying a Military for so long, I attributed this merely to habit. But it's actually MUCH less awkward to deploy, and deployment is MUCH faster. With tip up, I have to significantly alter my grip to spydie flick the knife open. With tip down, i pinch the pivot with my thumb and forefinger to bring the knife out of the pocket, and all I do is lessen the grip and allow the knife to fall straight down and it's already in position.

I think it all comes down to one thing: what you're used to. If you're used to tip up, then that will seem the easiest and most natural way; vice versa if you're used to tip down.

For me, I don't have a strong preference one way or the other. I carried a Kershaw knife tip down for 8 years before I acquired my first tip-up Spydie. It was a little awkward at first, but after a week of carry I got used to it.

Now I've been carrying a Millie the past couple weeks so I'm back where I started. :) But I can carry tip up or down interchangeably without difficulty.
I understand. I'm not saying it's difficult. One just seems objectively faster when spydie flicking.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Postman brought me the knife today. I like it, but the action's pretty firm. It certainly looks good. I'm probably going to put on an aftermarket Ti clip to make it even more civilized.
Darth_cholo

Post by Darth_cholo »

I'm a sucker for deep carry clips

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

dj moonbat wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:54 pm
Postman brought me the knife today. I like it, but the action's pretty firm. It certainly looks good. I'm probably going to put on an aftermarket Ti clip to make it even more civilized.
I like the firm action. It lets me know that the pivot isn't too loose for hard work. I intend to mildly beat on this badass CruWear steel and want the pivot to be ready. As long as I can spydie flick it open easily, I'm good.

I did put a mini drop of liberty oil on each washer and worked it in and noticed a difference. I have a feeling it'll loosen up noticeably with use.

BTW, count me in with everyone else saying how sharp this knife is. Best factory edge I've ever felt. It's also much closer to 30 inclusive than my Militaries, which I immediately felt the need to reprofile. It doesn't always catch newspaper on a push cut attempt, but that's one **** of a test and no edge is perfect. Just a few laps on the strop and she'll be unreal.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

Darth_cholo wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:02 am
I'm a sucker for deep carry clips

I like that. Nice, simple, functional, understated.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

It's a Cru Wear PM2, so yeah this thing is awesome. As far as the smooth G10... I love it aesthetically, and hate it practically. The polish job is really something else, and turns the plain ole black G10 into something luxury feeling. The smooth is too smooth for me in use though, so eventually I will put my spare blurple G10 scales on it.
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I got my 2 yesterday, and wow, I did not anticipate the scales being this slippery. I guess I didn't equate "smooth" G10 with "slick" G10. They polished the heck out of these things. I feel like I'm going to drop it at any moment. Will probably send mine back as I don't really want to mess with buying and installing aftermarket scales. Really stinks because I enjoy Cruwear.
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

Y'all acting like these scales are made out of a bar of soap . :)
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

restless ghost wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 10:25 am
Y'all acting like these scales are made out of a bar of soap . :)
It's interesting, one of mine wasn't too bad. The other had a very high level of polish and almost felt like it was coated with some kind of slick substance.
HarleyXJGuy

Post by HarleyXJGuy »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:39 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:33 pm
Pelagic wrote:

For the approximately three thousand days I carried a tip-down knife I never had it accidentally open in my pocket. It was a detent linerlock too.

I know it's happened to other people but it's never been a concern for me. :)
Me also.
On my radar: 110V Military, Police 4 and some sweet Rex 45 Military action.

Newest Spydies: S90v Ti Military, Pacific Salt and a special Kiwi.
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

anycal

Post by anycal »

Yeah... those smooth G10 scales didn't last very long. They were great for the pocket, but too slick for a heavy user like the PM2.

Maxamet gray scales instead. Love it!

Peter
rivy

Post by rivy »

anycal wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:29 pm
Yeah... those smooth G10 scales didn't last very long. They were great for the pocket, but too slick for a heavy user like the PM2.

I like the smooth G10 but I do wish it was a different color than black. That Maxamet Gray is fantastic!!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Keeping with the color theme at least! ;)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

anycal wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:29 pm

That looks really good.
Pancake wrote:
Nate wrote:
You are a nobody got it?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'm not changing my scales. I'd like to see more like these, honestly.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 12:49 pm
I'm not changing my scales. I'd like to see more like these, honestly.
Once I finally got a small enough torx driver to get the clip switched to left hand deep carry indefinitely worry a little that it may not have the pocket grip of my other g10 as spydies. I guess time will tell if it's just just perception or if it's a real concern.