Next Generation Military suggestions thread?!?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gingerninja

Re: Next Generation Military suggestions thread?!?!

Post by gingerninja »

Doh double post
SCBaldr

Post by SCBaldr »

Wow, I didn't expect this thread to blow up the way it did. Thanks everyone for your responses and opinions. I have a few thoughts now having read through the entire thread.

I remember when benchmade announced that it would no longer make the 710. That really sucked for me because it was and still is one of my all time favorites. I wouldn't want the same thing to happen to the people who wouldn't change a thing about the military. That said, I never had a real problem with tip-down carry until I had handled the military. You see, I have really huge (I mean stupid large hands). For some shoving a hand in the pocket and having it run against the military's jimping is a minor annoyance, because of the way my hands are, it's not so much of a minor annoyance as it is a major safety hazard. I've had the knife for 8 days and I've already cut the side of my hand open twice on the jimping. Now if I choose to carry the military and I need to go for my wallet, I have to pull the knife out first and then reach for the wallet. Tip-up carry would make this a non-issue. And it wouldn't take full length liners, one can rout out a small area and press in a small threaded steel insert just to support the screws. So while it may not be an issue for some and some might be able to just get used to it, I've already bled all over my wallet, the knife and my pocket for this one flaw, getting used to it just isn't an option.

As for those who brought up the lock type vs strength vs weight issue, there are very few locks stronger than the compression lock and if you re really in need of that much lock strength and deployment speed, then a folder probably isn't the best choice anyway. As for weight, the different In weight between a compression lock and the liner lock is almost nil.

Because I wouldn't want the people who love to military the way it is to loose access to their favorite knife the way I did for the Benchmade 710, I think maybe introducing a Military 2 with a 4 way clip and better lock as well as keeping the current version would be the best move. C36 series and C37 series maybe?
superposition

Post by superposition »

I would love to see a 2 with a compression lock and 4 way pocket clip, too.