LC200N Caribbean

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: LC200N Caribbean

Post by Evil D »

I plan on reprofiling the tip of the sheepsfoot more into a wharnie shape like I did for my Rock Lobster.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

Acquired yesterday. Good flipping out of the box. Good fit in hand. Good traction flipping horizontally. Haven't carried it yet. Flip-flopped on PE or SE, and leaf. A good one for the beach. Cowabunga!
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

Been carrying mine for a couple days. At first I second guessed myself on getting the sheepsfoot after it arrived, but as I have many leaf shaped Spydies, and a distinct lack of sheepsfoot, it's really grown on me. Interested in putting LC200N through it's paces, as I'm traveling to Florida in a couple weeks, and it's been a wet month down there from what I'm seeing.

IMG_20180607_204240.jpg

Question for you guys: How's the detent strength on you folk's examples? Mines somewhat soft... Not enough that I feel like it's going to open in my pocket, but softer than I'm used to on compression lock folders.
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Have both the sheepsfoot SE and PE. Detent is soft but perfect on both for speed opening...either spydie hole and spydie drop methods
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

Detent is not very strong in my example. I can gravity flip it out. It's not a carry concern though. In my experience it's flippers that release in pocket with low detent. That's not to say it can't happen with non flippers. I sure like the LC200N steel. Man it gets sharp! My Caribbean is razor sharp. I have a Chef and it's the same with it. I have been sharpening with about a one-thousand grit diamond then going to a leather strop. I'm not so concerned with mirror polished finishing.

I've been carrying for the last few days and really like it. It's very comfortable carry. I sort of feel like it's in the lightweight category with the Manix 2.
Last edited by skybladefromthe on Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

good info from Sal which expands on the thought and work behind this design:

"Thanx for the comments.

On the blade / handle ratio thing. That's an eye thing and not a function thing. Handles are for holding, blades are for cutting. In this design, I wanted a blade that was 3-3/4" long, as I'm planning a larger version. (4-1/4" blade). This is a work knife, not an art knife, so I wanted a handle that was ergonomic for a large hand even with gloves. I guess different designers have different philosophy's behind their designs. The balance and control of the blade to handle has different functions to different designers. Think scalpel. A handle large enough to control the blade and a blade small enough to control and no larger than necessary to do the intended job.

This model took a long time to design and long time to build. Special steel, custom G-10, and we had to assemble twice as we added ceramic ball bearings when we learned the steel ball bearings were rusting.

sal"

and also (regarding why is there "so much" handle for such a blade length)

"
The larger version has a better handle to blade ratio as I didn't need more handle so I just covered the blade.

Thanx to the rest of you for the kind comments."
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Just got mine in and wowowewow is the F&F stellar. I mean every detail is perfect. My pivot is tighter than some have mentioned, and the detent isn’t noticeably weak. I prefer stronger detents and lockup to a blade that swings free anyway so I’m very happy with how this one feels. Doesn’t look as garish in person but I’m quite sure it’ll draw some comments. Also how has no one mentioned the clip, with the bug etched like the blade logo on the Taichung knives?

Looking forward to putting this one through its paces.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Got mine in yesterday. I like it a lot.
The stock titanium clip is cool, but I couldn't resist swapping it with a long Lynch clip.

Some notes on the pivot; I liked the out of box action a lot and figured it could be even better with a few drops of nano oil. Wrong, the lube slowed down the action considerably. I rinsed it out really well and voila, nice and smooth action once again. The same scenario played out on my Spydiechef; action smoothed out when I rinsed away the nano oil.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Any idea why that would happen? Very cool knife, by the way. Congrats!
Strider

Post by Strider »

any follow-up impressions on the Caribbean after getting some use time?
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Strider wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:07 am
any follow-up impressions on the Caribbean after getting some use time?

Received mine on Monday. So far I am loving it. The detent strength is fine, but during opening there was some grittiness. I took it apart, cleaned it up, and still a tiny bit of grittiness during deployment. Not enough for most people to even notice, but us knife nuts are a little crazy. After 2 days of constant deployment, it has really slickened up and is now nearly glassy smooth during deployment. So far, I am loving it. It rode IWB in my board shorts all day yesterday. Did everything under the sun. BBQ'd, Swimming, fireworks... Comfortable as can be, and of course, no rust! It is definitely a keeper.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Mine has a detent that isn't as strong as my other spydies and can be shaken open where none of my others can. Shouldn't matter in real world situations though.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'm so glad a bigger version is planned. 4 1/4" rust proof blade sounds dreamy. Been keeping an eye on this thread to see what you guys think of the smaller version.
:unicorn
Strider

Post by Strider »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:40 am
I'm so glad a bigger version is planned. 4 1/4" rust proof blade sounds dreamy. Been keeping an eye on this thread to see what you guys think of the smaller version.
This is the smaller version? Somehow I missed that. when is the larger one due?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Strider wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:33 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:40 am
This is the smaller version? Somehow I missed that. when is the larger one due?
Yep, and the small version is already a good sized knife.

I don't think Sal has mentioned an ETA for the big version, and AFAIK no photos have been shown yet.
:unicorn
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Looking at this knife, how do you feel it compares to the spydie chef?
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Daveho wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:56 pm
For me personally, nothing will outclass my spydie chef. It rides so comfortably in the pocket. its a breeze to clean, and to sharpen. The blade geometry is amazing (not just for food prep). And the F&F is absolutely outstanding. I am still in the honeymoon period with my Caribbean, and dont get me wrong, it is a great knife! But the spydie chef is on a different level IMO.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

mrtodd777 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:07 pm
Daveho wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:56 pm
For me personally, nothing will outclass my spydie chef. It rides so comfortably in the pocket. its a breeze to clean, and to sharpen. The blade geometry is amazing (not just for food prep). And the F&F is absolutely outstanding. I am still in the honeymoon period with my Caribbean, and dont get me wrong, it is a great knife! But the spydie chef is on a different level IMO.
I figured that would be the case-
The chef is really growing on me, I may end up repurposing my techno 2 dollars-
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

Great knife. I love mine, with the caveat that I had to dye it, just not a fan of yellow. It's now red. Pretty impressed with Lc200n. a keeper for sure.
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

A pic would be great.