LC200N Caribbean

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: LC200N Caribbean

Post by Evil D »

Man that's a winner. I need one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I need it!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I'm ready!

But does a new Spydie model in the wild mean that it has dropped?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
npad69

Post by npad69 »

thanks for the photos gsg, if it had a negative blade angle.. i'd definitely snag one of those
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Gsg9 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:23 am
Sacrilege!!!

Seems that europeans managed to get their hands on some pieces before zee americainzz :D :D

Got the only sheepfoot plain edge available, went and checked, it showed out of stock imediately after purchase

Interesting design and a well executed piece, centered blade, nice action, interesting grippy handle scales, compression lock, titanium clip, LC200N

Some picturezz

What's this now? Did it drop ?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Sal said they sent some batches earlier to european dealers, so as you can see it dropped in my pocket :D

It got smoother after playin with it

The detent is strong, I had to shake it really hard several times to get the blade out once

The scales are comfortable despite those vertical black 3d lines but the grip is secure due to them, scales are smoothed at the sides. They flex a bit if you squeeze them hard, nothing to worry about

No negative angle on this one, Sliverax or Ayoob

On the chopboard uses the first two cm of the blade, but for that there are better alternatives like Spydiechef

Overall a very nice piece, thanks or that

This is in the pocket

Seaside summer holidays are coming :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

These pics make me want to get a sheepsfoot Caribbean and modify the spine to give it more of a point. I really like that edge profile. Kind of a modified wharncliffe?

The design looks like a winner to me.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I am really liking the amount of handle there is to grip. Seeing it side by side with the Para 2 puts into perspective how roomy that grip is.
:unicorn
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Gsg9 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:16 am
Sal said they sent some batches earlier to european dealers, so as you can see it dropped in my pocket :D

It got smoother after playin with it

The detent is strong, I had to shake it really hard several times to get the blade out once

The scales are comfortable despite those vertical black 3d lines but the grip is secure due to them, scales are smoothed at the sides. They flex a bit if you squeeze them hard, nothing to worry about

No negative angle on this one, Sliverax or Ayoob

On the chopboard uses the first two cm of the blade, but for that there are better alternatives like Spydiechef

Overall a very nice piece, thanks or that

This is in the pocket

Seaside summer holidays are coming :D
Just so you know, until mine arrives, I hate you...

<3
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 6:20 am
These pics make me want to get a sheepsfoot Caribbean and modify the spine to give it more of a point. I really like that edge profile. Kind of a modified wharncliffe?

The design looks like a winner to me.

It's my favorite edge type, not quite a wharnie but shallow enough belly to cut aggressively towards the tip like a wharnie. I plan on grinding the tip down more like a Yojimbo/reverse tanto.
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

It looks better than it did in the stock photos. I may have to get one after all.

Now the question, PE or SE? I'm thinking sheepsfoot SE.

-Thomas Jefferson
FullCircleHook

Post by FullCircleHook »

Agreed. The scales look much better than I was expecting. If this drops with titanium, I will be all over it. I'm still interested with the yellow/black scales, but it will have to come after others higher on the list.

I would definitely go sheepsfoot withe PE.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I’m going with the sheepsfoot SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I may end up with both edge types, haven't decided. The version will probably be a better slicer than my Autonomy but I'm mostly interested in the PE initially.
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

That blade shape looks great. Nice work Sal.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 11:13 am

Just so you know, until mine arrives, I hate you...

<3

That's OK, I can live with that :D
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Gsg9 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:51 am

Well I've learned not to expect any knife to truly dethrone my Military, but that pic spells trouble for my rotation.

Next question is, who wants to take one apart and show us the insides?
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Hi David,

Some thoughts to share. Some of my designs take a long time to refine. I will often make changes of 1mm or even less to get the design to where I think it will serve the market I'm trying to serve. The Military Model was more than a year in design. I made many drawings, many models, I had carved wooden models and worked with Crucible, Hitachi and laminate companies to bring our what was, at the time, the best materials. The late Vince Ford developed some improvements to the Walker Linerlock that improved reliability. We wanted a knife that was comfortable, safe and user friendly wearing gloves. We then CQI's the model over the next 20 years. It is a very mature design. It is a large knife, so market is limited, but it carry's like a much smaller knife and performs like a larger knife. It is also a good platform for many variations in materials. It's a "Workhorse" model, not a Showcase.

The Caribbean was similar. The market was different; A workhorse model for people working in highly corrosive conditions. There were many patterns, many sizes, many drawings and many prototypes. It is also a large knife, so EDC for many will not be legal. But work and law don't always go together. No one will arrest you for carrying a large knife on a fishing boat. It was also working with new materials (LC) with q new maker for the new materials. When we finally got production going, we learned through testing (Lab, personal and forumites) that the detent balls were not performing, so we had to take every knife apart and replace the ball detent with ceramic balls. It is sophisticated in blade designs as well an handle ergos, even underwater or around water and even wearing gloves.

I'm sure we will find additional improvements over the years, but if you want to go to work around salt water, this would be a good choice.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I can't remember if I read this in a past thread or not, but are there plans to release a smaller version of the Caribbean in the future if this model sells well?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal