EDC for Foodies- A lightweight SpydieChef

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Forest Green

EDC for Foodies- A lightweight SpydieChef

Post by Forest Green »

I love the SpydieChef, the ti handles/frame lock is a bit heavy in the pocket, also would love to see a slightly thinner blade, FRN handles would be great, keep the Lc200N steel.
Last edited by Forest Green on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donut

Re: EDC for Foodies- A lightweight SpydieChef

Post by Donut »

Maybe a full G-10 handle with a liner lock similar to the Military construction.

It costs a lot of money to make a FRN mold and only the higher selling models warrant that kind of cost.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I was actually just thinking that a SpydieChef with bright yellow G10 or FRN front scale would make an excellent fishing and boating folder. The upcoming Caribbean folders are too big, and the upcoming Native 5 Salt is too pointy. Plus, I want the easy one hand closing of the frame lock on the SpydieChef. It seems that we want a similar variation but for different purposes.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Forest Green,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Linerless G10? How much lighter is that?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

I'm happy with the Ti. I would just like to see a longer, not wider version. Something about the size of the military would be good.
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

I was thinking SpydieChef Lightweight as in Native 5 Lightweight, or Chaparral Lightweight.
tbroyer

Post by tbroyer »

btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

Needs to be longer and thinner (as in thinner blade stock). And get rid of some of that belly.

It's clearly a pocket knife designed by pocket knife people, not a pocket knife designed by kitchen knife people.

I like it, but not for its intended "cheffy" use. Lengthen and reprofile.

We need more blades in LC200n and H1 that don't have horrorshow handles. Not everything has to be yellow, you know.
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

If you want to carry a pocketknife to cut food, a cheap Opinel or SAK is a way better choice than a Spydiechef. They will outslice it by a mile, owing to simple blade geometry. And you won't look like a weirdo eating with an Opinel. You will look like a barbarian if you eat at a table with a Spydiechef.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

A thinner blade would be nice but I don’t think the weight is bad and like frame lock.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

Not having your knuckles hit while using the blade belly is a big thing for slicing food, having zero blade play is a big thing, having a blade that can be simply rinsed and shaken dry, preventing contamination is a big thing. Totally a great camping knife!
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

Also cutting kindling, rope, and all the other things one might need for a great EDC.
FX sniper

Post by FX sniper »

Schpyder wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:14 pm
What does Gordon Ramsey think of the Spydie Chef ? I would love to hear his input. Spyderco should send him one and have him carry it on his shows. That would be epic to have him pull it out and upstage the Chefs on his shows with his knife skills.
Hi, I´m Gordon, ...this SpydieChef is !&?@#!#%&! awesome!, I can´t !&?@#!#%&! believe how good it slices, ...it´s a !&?@#!#%&! laser, and it !&?@#!#%&! rides !&?@#!#%&! well in your pocket, it´s so !&?@#!#%&! light, the !&?@#!#%&! titanium scales are !&?@#!#%&! great, and that !&?@#!#%&! blade steel is so !&?@#!#%&! !&?@#!#%&! !&?@#!#%&! good, I really !&?@#!#%&! recommend the SpydieChef...
Reject

Post by Reject »

It depends on which end of the culinary cycle you are looking at. If you are looking at the eating end; have a closer look at Alistair Philips designed knife the Red Back Spyder.

Alistair’s original inspiration for the design was from the frustration of having to use plastic and other rubbish knives when eating at barbecues and picnics. There was only one possible solution for a knife maker; make something better.

The Spydie Chef is designed for one end of the culinary cycle and the Red Back Spyder was designed for the other. And like the Spydie Chef; the Red Back Spyder will have a lot more uses than just being a food knife.
How much can a Koala bear?
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

The best use for this knife is as a camping or backpacking knife. And it's a freaking awesome backpacking or camping knife. I'm going to rebuy one after my Slysz bowie developed a bit of rust on a recent 4-day adventure on the Appalachian Trail. No bueno. Everything else in H1 or LC200n is an eyesore, and the chunky build of the Spydiechef with the bulletproof titanium scales is very appealing. I just hope my next one doesn't have lockstick.

The Spydiechef is a general purpose knife that can also be used for some very limited food applications. Calling it a "chef" is an oversell because it's kind of useless in the kitchen. It's too short. It has too much belly. And it's too damned thick. If you think this is a laser or that it slices well, you're probably used to cutting everything with a Taktikal pocket knife. Expensive folding knives are almost always made with too much bladestock to do anything especially well from a culinary perspective. Wedge monsters all. The full flat grind helps, but only a bit. 2.9mm is too thick on a blade that's so short (in terms of height, not length). It's geometry, people.

All of my chef's knives are thinner than 2.9mm. All of them. None are considered lasers in the kitchen world. My thickest gyuto, the beater that I use on butternut squashes and other hard use-tasks, is a Global G-17. The calipers say it's 2.8mm thick at the spine above the heel. The Spydiechef's blade is too fat.

I apologize if I harp on about this, but I'm primarily a kitchen knife person and I think the Spydiechef was a miss in terms of branding. It's just that the Spydiechef is an awesome knife except for the "Chef" part. Any knife with "chef" in the name should be designed, from the edge out, with the purpose of cutting food in mind. The Spydiechef does not look or cut like a knife that was designed to cut food. It looks like a rugged outdoorsy knife that you might also use to cut a bit of summer sausage in the backcountry. WHICH IS EXACTLY A KNIFE THAT I NEED! But that's a different type of knife from something with "Chef" in the name.

In a redesign, I'd like to see a blade that is thinner and longer, and with a flatter edge. Drop the tip rather than having the edge rise to meet it. This will allow you to make easier pull cuts when actually cutting food on a cutting board. Design the knife to cut food, not paracord, cardboard, or kindling. In the process of developing the geometry of the blade, have someone actually cut food with the prototype and switch back and forth between it and an actual chef's knife. Maybe consult a chef or two who is also a knife enthusiast. Talk to some people outside of the world of Knives Which Fold.

Or keep the design the same and call it the "Ridge Runner" or something that indicates it's a camping or backpacking knife. Like I said, I love the design. But I wouldn't call it a Spydiechef.
FX sniper

Post by FX sniper »

btbyrd....."Or keep the design the same and call it the "Ridge Runner" or something that indicates it's a camping or backpacking knife. Like I said, I love the design. But I wouldn't call it a Spydiechef."

just rename it to Spydiechief.....
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

Reject wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:55 am
It depends on which end of the culinary cycle you are looking at. If you are looking at the eating end; have a closer look at Alistair Philips designed knife the Red Back Spyder.

Alistair’s original inspiration for the design was from the frustration of having to use plastic and other rubbish knives when eating at barbecues and picnics. There was only one possible solution for a knife maker; make something better.

The Spydie Chef is designed for one end of the culinary cycle and the Red Back Spyder was designed for the other. And like the Spydie Chef; the Red Back Spyder will have a lot more uses than just being a food knife.
Great suggestion! I will be getting one of these.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Schpyder wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:14 pm
What does Gordon Ramsey think of the Spydie Chef ? I would love to hear his input. Spyderco should send him one and have him carry it on his shows. That would be epic to have him pull it out and upstage the Chefs on his shows with his knife skills.
That is a very good marketing idea in my opinion. That would also get Spyderco knives into the knowledge of many more people.
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

Or you'd end up seeing Gordon scream at Marcin Slysz about blade geometry until he cries.