Techno vs Techno 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Studey

Re: Techno vs Techno 2

Post by Studey »

I’m excited for it. I loved the first, but the thick blade wasn’t ideal, and the ergos weren’t quite right. The Techno 2 handle is similar to the first, but has some noticeable differences. I’m hopeful that it will resolve the issues I had with the original.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

The Techno 2 piques my interest more than the original... Looks like a knife you can actually cut with and I'm actually preferring the aesthetics/specs from what we know so far :p. Might have to give this one a shot if the funds permit as the original Techno is so beloved and this seems like an excellent refinement. I'm usually partial to larger blades anymore, but this might see clipless in-pocket carry.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
tragique

Post by tragique »

Studey wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:06 am
There seems to be a lot of confusion floating around about this...

The original Techno had a carburized lock face. It was basically ‘heat treated’ similar to the way a Sebenza is done. This is not the same as carbidizing.

Many of the Taichung framelocks have been carburized, to good effect evidently, as lockup issues are nearly unheard of on the models that have had it. Brad confirmed that the Southard received the treatment, and someone (can’t recall who, it was either Marcin or someone from Spyderco) confirmed that the Techno and Slysz Bowie were done the same way.

This has come up before when other Taichung Ti framelocks have been released, it’s how we originally heard whether the Bowie was carburized. There’s zero reason to think that this Techno 2 is being done any differently. People are acting like the Techno has a stainless interface and that Spyderco has moved away from it on the Techno 2, when in all likelihood, they’re just doing it the same way the previous model was done since that has worked out so well.
I don't think even the first Techno was carburized/carbodized, as per staff: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68922&p=1046527&hil ... e#p1046527

Where did people even hear that it was?

This is something that needs more clarification because there's a lot of confusion.

It would be great if staff could weigh in once and for all: is the techno's lock face treated in any way? What about the other Slysz collaborations?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I don’t own a Techno but always thought it was a cool design; not too sure about the swedge on the 2.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
knolan

Post by knolan »

tragique wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:27 pm
Studey wrote:

The original Techno had a carburized lock face. It was basically ‘heat treated’ similar to the way a Sebenza is done. This is not the same as carbidizing.

Many of the Taichung framelocks have been carburized, to good effect evidently, as lockup issues are nearly unheard of on the models that have had it. Brad confirmed that the Southard received the treatment, and someone (can’t recall who, it was either Marcin or someone from Spyderco) confirmed that the Techno and Slysz Bowie were done the same way.

This has come up before when other Taichung Ti framelocks have been released, it’s how we originally heard whether the Bowie was carburized. There’s zero reason to think that this Techno 2 is being done any differently. People are acting like the Techno has a stainless interface and that Spyderco has moved away from it on the Techno 2, when in all likelihood, they’re just doing it the same way the previous model was done since that has worked out so well.
I don't think even the first Techno was carburized/carbodized, as per staff: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68922&p=1046527&hil ... e#p1046527

This is something that needs more clarification because there's a lot of confusion.

It would be great if staff could weigh in once and for all: is the techno's lock face treated in any way? What about the other Slysz collaborations?
FYI, Page 8, post # 144...Brad Southard states the Techno is heat treated...

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spy ... 024/page-8
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

I haven't pre-ordered it or anything but I intend to try Techno 2 at some point. After all, I had and sold the original Techno twice. The revision looks to solve the issues that nagged at me with the OG. Some thoughts:

- Techno 1 had a chunky blade but was exceptionally well ground. I found that the blade shape (too much belly for such a small blade imo) and the wide, uncomfortable jimping were bigger impediments to its cutting utility than the thick blade stock. The new blade shape and jimping look much more practical.

- I'm glad the scales are thicker to make up for the thinner blade; I don't think a 'slim Techno' makes any sense - the chunky THICCness in hand is part of its irresistible appeal.

- I don't consider a stainless lock bar insert an upgrade and am glad Spyderco continues to use this "feature" sparingly in their line. Aside from possibly providing a hidden overtravel stop, the alleged benefits are theoretical. Not to mention that they make the lock bar more prone to slippage and increase build complexity. Maybe it makes lock fitment easier? I dunno... am I crazy for finding the simplicity of a solid Ti frame lock part of its appeal? Anyway, I digress - I find that lock geometry and spring tension are much, much more important to how the lock works than whether there's a steel-on-steel interface. I've had a few sticky stainless steel locks, for example.
tragique

Post by tragique »

knolan wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:43 pm
tragique wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:27 pm
Studey wrote:

FYI, Page 8, post # 144...Brad Southard states the Techno is heat treated...

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spy ... 024/page-8
Interesting. I guess it may well be heat treated and that other post was just referencing the Nirvana and no other knife.

With the lock geometry it has and this heat treatment, I'm guessing no one should worry about that thing wearing out anytime soon. Hopefully the Techno 2 will be done the same way.