What do you want to see more of from Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

What do you want to see more of from Spyderco?

Post by vivi »

I'd like more large, light, "low-end" knives. By "low-end" I mean FRN & steels that sharpen quickly.

I'd love a Manix XL in FRN and CTSBD1 with no / partial liners, in either CBBL or Backlock.

I'd love a VG10 / FRN Police 4, no liners or partial liners.

The upcoming FFG Pacific Salt sounds fantastic.

I'd love a Catcherman revival.

What would you like to see more of from Spyderco?
:unicorn
Daveho

Re: What do you want to see more of from Spyderco?

Post by Daveho »

Another Slysz Bowie run would be a dream come true
BigBadSheWolf

Post by BigBadSheWolf »

I would really like to see how Spyderco's innovative approach regarding materials and ergonomics would transform a largely traditional tool such as a small axe. Don't get me wrong, I love my Gränsfors Bruks axes (e.g. https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/produc ... orest-axe/) and I use them very often. But innovations, they are not...
Hälsningar,

Sigrid
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:54 am
The upcoming FFG Pacific Salt sounds fantastic.
When was this discussed ? Any link to forum post ?

When did they say it was likely ?

Very interested as well.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Mzen

Post by Mzen »

Another run of the Para 3 in Cru-Wear or CST-XHP. Other than that, lower prices :D

As for new products, I would love to see Spyderco's take on a new guided sharpening system. As nice as the Sharpmaker is, we all know that it's certainly not a reprofiling wonder. Modern steels from Spyderco keep getting better (and harder to sharpen as well), but their sharpening systems haven't really been keeping up with those improvements in my opinion.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

As discussed on another thread, maybe some innovating regarding serration patterns/edges. And maybe a PE LC200N Autonomy...

But other than a few minor things like these, it's hard to see how Spyderco can improve much. They're an amazing company, from their use of incredible new steels and handle materials (Has anyone stopped to think recently how ridiculous a small EDC pocketknife in Maxamet is? :D ), to their constant drive for quality improvement. The fact that Sal and Co. listens and responds to people on this forum, and that we have a voice here, is tremendous as well.
The cheers for Spyderco and the team - and thank you for bringing us such quality products!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
mb1

Post by mb1 »

More diamond rods! The Sharpmaker still works great as a system, but the "super steels" have surpassed its practical capability for full sharpening work. More diamond rod grits are needed to progress through a sharpening on higher Vanadium content steels.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
npad69

Post by npad69 »

k12p kitchen knife in LC200N or XHP or S110v or even cladded/uncladded cruwear
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd like to see more Sharpmaker rod grits. I'd also like to see another Fold-A-Vee type portable sharpener, something closer to the Sharpmaker than a bench stone (meaning something with set angles) and highly portable, with course and fine grits and especially capable of sharpening serrations in the field.

I'd also like to see a larger ~3.75 inch version of the Lil Temp but made in Golden or Taichung in M4/Cruwear/Maxamet. Sprints of the Sliverax and Shaman would be nice too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

More wire clips. Don't have to be deep carry, any flavor will do, just more wire clips.

More CBBL designs.

More knives with less choils.

More speed on the Alistair Phillips Redback release. :)
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

1. I tend to gravitate to the bigger Spyderco Knives. I have large hands and the ergos on the little knives do not always work for me. I have been so impressed with the Knifeworks Ti/CF S90V Military that I picked up a couple of them. The R.I.L. on the titanium scale is the bomb. I wonder if this feature could be used on a PM2 instead of the compression lock???

2. As others have stated, I believe a new sharpening system would also be well received by Spyderco enthusiast. Spyderco got their start in the knife business by making sharpeners and it appears that CQI is not as prevalent with those products (ie. Sharpmaker). Other companies like the Wicked Edge, KME, Edge Pro, etc. have made some innovations to the market segment.
Last edited by Hopweaver on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would really like to continue seeing more versions of the Caly family of knives. Since getting my hands on the latest Hap40 sprint, I have neglected all my other groups of knives; Manix, Military, Dragonfly, Police....

The upcoming SB Caly Jr will continue to satisfy my desire and I know the 3.5 Caly FRN model is in the works so honestly, I am very satisfied with my needs. As for wants Sal and Eric continue to produce knives that peak my interest so it really just comes down to my bank account at the time new knives drop.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mad german

Post by mad german »

I want to see more slim carry knives, along the lines of the Benchmade 940, 710, and Spyderco Pattada. I really like knives that don't take up a lot of pocket real estate. The slimmer the better.
My collection is ever changing!
mn700vforce

Post by mn700vforce »

Paramilitary’s 2 & 3 with FRN scales “orange in particular” and deep carry wire clips.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ohhhh....a Sharpmaker with a fully adjustable base would be the best. Make it with two 90 degree compasses at the base so you can easily see and adjust the rods to different angles.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:08 am
More wire clips. Don't have to be deep carry, any flavor will do, just more wire clips.
So many here love the wire clips, but I just don’t see the appeal. I like the look of the hourglass clip with the Spyderco logo, I think it completes the look of the knife. I haven’t owned a knife with a wire clip, so maybe there’s something that I’m missing?
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Deep carry clips

Folding Sharpmaker for backpacking. I'm fine with a single 40 degree lock.

K390
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

JaseRicco wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:57 am
Eli Chaps wrote:
So many here love the wire clips, but I just don’t see the appeal. I like the look of the hourglass clip with the Spyderco logo, I think it completes the look of the knife. I haven’t owned a knife with a wire clip, so maybe there’s something that I’m missing?
It isn't an aesthetic thing for me, it is a function thing. Hourglass clips are great at holding knives in the pocket but they can create hot spots. They also can scratch the heck out of things you happen to lean up against.

Sometime ago I was carrying my Delica, my arms were full and an elderly person accidentally bumped me into my car with their door. It was no biggy, I just sort of slumped against the side. No biggy except the three deep scratches about four inches long in the side of my car from the three raised "points" on the clip.

I never obsessed over the clip scratching things over the years but I was conscious of it and would be careful when working on a vehicle, etc. But accidents do happen.

So, those are my primary reasons for preferring the wire clip. Well, and I think they look better. :p
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:13 am
JaseRicco wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:57 am
Eli Chaps wrote:
It isn't an aesthetic thing for me, it is a function thing. Hourglass clips are great at holding knives in the pocket but they can create hot spots. They also can scratch the heck out of things you happen to lean up against.

Sometime ago I was carrying my Delica, my arms were full and an elderly person accidentally bumped me into my car with their door. It was no biggy, I just sort of slumped against the side. No biggy except the three deep scratches about four inches long in the side of my car from the three raised "points" on the clip.

I never obsessed over the clip scratching things over the years but I was conscious of it and would be careful when working on a vehicle, etc. But accidents do happen.

So, those are my primary reasons for preferring the wire clip. Well, and I think they look better. :p
Fair points :)
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

Para 2 & Para 3 Sprints. There seem to be a lot of us newer folks who have missed initial runs of some of the more desirable (i.e. expensive aftermarket) ones.