Spyderco Hatchet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

Re: Spyderco Hatchet

Post by tvenuto »

Yea, with these things I think setting appropriate expectations is huge. No one likes negative surprises.

I'm on a high end clothing forum and I got a slightly defective shirt. It was slight but it was enough for me to send back. They sold it on their forum for a modest discount, and the guy was tickled pink to get it, because he knew what he was getting.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

sal wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:28 pm
Bodog wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:31 pm
sal wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Sal,

Since I'm still holding onto this one because GP Knives has been closed since i received it, would you want me to send this directly back to spyderco for an exchange so you or your people can look at it or would it be better if it was sent back to the dealer for a refund? I think they're out of stock.

I just received an email from GPK and they said this:

"We did notice this prior to shipment and found that all of our first shipment had the same/similar quality to the one you received."

If i asked for an exchange from spyderco I'd hope it was a specimen that looks as good as the ones shown by Ookami and Keithkevin.
You can send it to us if you like and we can do our best to find one that has a better finish, but I can't make any promises. we knew they were less than perfect finish on this run. Call if to my attention.

sal
Noted. I'll send it back to the dealer.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

Trp2080 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:14 pm
Keithkevinken has a YouTube video up
Thanks for sharing, Keithkevinken's excitement really made my day.

Reminds me of the time during my meeting with Eric when gave me the first custom made prototype at IWA way back when. He told me that he and Sal had a blast when they had been testing it. Seeing the fun people have with the product more than makes up for the time we invested in the development.

I haven't had the chance to meet Sal yet, but everytime I read his posts regarding the Hatchet Hawk, I imagine him in the mountains of the Colorado backcountry overlooking the scenery where the trees give way to purple sage. He carries the Respect Bowie tucked in his belt, the Hatchet Hawk sits in its sheath that hangs off the saddle on his trusty horse opposite the rifle scabbard with a classic lever-action carbine. The wind stirrs up a bunch of tumbleweeds in the distance.
... I think that may be a good starting point for a dime novel. ;)

Ookami
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm really jazzed to hear that this will be a part of the lineup for a good while to come. I plan on picking this up, and I'm glad it's throwable!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Sounds like a big ask to me, to fit a precision moulded frn handle to a forged head, without marring the finish at all.

In my experience, new (replacement) handles have all required some “persuasion”, but the resulting scars soon get lost in the general patina of use. Different matter if you want a pristine collectible, I suppose.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ookami,

No horse. Gail and I live in a forest at 9500' altitude. No tumbleweed or sage. Pine, Spruce, fir and Aspen.

sal
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:02 am
Sounds like a big ask to me, to fit a precision moulded frn handle to a forged head, without marring the finish at all.
The handle is pressed in with quite a bit of force, so a bit of bulging along the upper edge of the eye is to be expected.

The additional gouges/scratches that are present on Bodog's piece shouldn't be par for the course. (I just love those baseball metaphors)

Ookami
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

sal wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:40 am
Hi Ookami,

No horse. Gail and I live in a forest at 9500' altitude. No tumbleweed or sage. Pine, Spruce, fir and Aspen.

sal
That's roughly 5800' higher than the highest mountain peak near where I live and more than plenty of material for a mountain man story. ;)
As well as ample opportunity to use both hawk and bowie. ;)

Ookami
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Ookami wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:45 am
The additional gouges/scratches that are present on Bodog's piece shouldn't be par for the course. (I just love those baseball metaphors)

Ookami
:D heheehehe
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Slash

Post by Slash »

If what I'm reading correctly that all or most all made has cosmetic flaws. Why not drop the price x% with the disclaimer of such issues on the ones that aren't perfect?
That way everyone is happy.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Slash wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:09 am
If what I'm reading correctly that all or most all made has cosmetic flaws. Why not drop the price x% with the disclaimer of such issues on the ones that aren't perfect?
That way everyone is happy.
Sounds like what they do at the factory seconds sales.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Hmmm, I admit that I would be unhappy with that. At that price point it costs more than the Wilderness Hatchet and far more than the Velvicut Belt Axe which is also made by Council Tool. I don’t buy the whole, “it’s gonna get beat up anyway” argument. This is a pricey hatchet. Fit and finish should be on point.

Truth is that the inability to ever replace the handle is all the reason I need to pass.

That said, if I received one in that condition I would just return it for a replacement. If the replacement looked like that I would return it as well and move on. There are plenty of nice hatchets available. I would also let Spyderco know through an email that I received two that were subpar and why.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

This sucks. I wanted one these so bad. At that price point tho with these issues my wife would kill me with it :(
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Nevermind
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

Anyone know the specs on this? Overall length, head weight, overall weight. I'm getting one no matter what. It's going straight on my pack and into the woods. Thanks guys
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
Trp2080

Post by Trp2080 »

Length 15.82inches. overall weight 1lb 9 oz according to blade hq
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

Trp2080 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:07 pm
Length 15.82inches. overall weight 1lb 9 oz according to blade hq
I knew it was floating around somewhere, I just couldn't find where. Thanks, I really appreciate it.
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
Slash

Post by Slash »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:52 pm
Hmmm, I admit that I would be unhappy with that. At that price point it costs more than the Wilderness Hatchet and far more than the Velvicut Belt Axe which is also made by Council Tool. I don’t buy the whole, “it’s gonna get beat up anyway” argument. This is a pricey hatchet. Fit and finish should be on point.

Truth is that the inability to ever replace the handle is all the reason I need to pass.

That said, if I received one in that condition I would just return it for a replacement. If the replacement looked like that I would return it as well and move on. There are plenty of nice hatchets available. I would also let Spyderco know through an email that I received two that were subpar and why.
certainly you could chop off the plastic and make a custom wooden handle. Not the conventional oval type shaped head. But, can be done.
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:52 pm
Hypothetically you could replace the handle if you managed to break it, and that's a big if, but there is always that one guy who can break a greased ball bearing with one hand tied behind the back. The eye is conical so you could make a wooden handle for it like a for a traditional tomahawk, although I think that it might be quite a bit of a hassle to dissociate head and handle.

Ookami
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Good to know! It sounded like it was a unique proprietary head and rehanging it was not an option. I wouldn’t be looking to change it right away, I just wanted to know that I could if I ever had to.

Also, I did not mean to imply that I thought the handle would be easy to break. I have split many cords of wood with a fiskars splitting axe in freezing temps with it’s hollow polymer handle and it is holding up fine. I trust the frn with an aluminum core more than that fiskars handle and the Hatchethawk definitely weighs a lot less. I would expect years of trouble free use.

The difference is that the fiskars is affordable and can be replaced if it were to eventually fail which is also unlikely. The Hatchethawk is expensive and I just wanted to know that I could maintain it for life if need be. I would be using it in very cold temperatures at times and you just never know. I would also probably throw it some and that can be very hard on them.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?