Spyderco Hatchet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Spyderco Hatchet

Post by TomAiello »

SF Native wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:04 am
I looked up the gransfor bruk and Vaughan axes you mentioned. Vaughan doesn’t seem to publish anything about the steel used or the hardness if heat treat. Gransfors has a 40 page book, which is quite impressive and it does say that it’s heat treated to rc57. But it doesn’t say what kind of steel it is other than it’s forged.
I think that Council Tools has published their heat treat and steel information. And they are the ones making this tool for Spyderco, aren't they?

At any rate, I seem to remember reading that Council Tools heat treats from the edge an inch back. I think it was in their advertising literature, and they were comparing it to other manufacturers that don't treat as far back, with the idea that their axe would be more durable (think decades instead of years).

And I believe Sal already stated the steel used for the Spyderco.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm curious if anyone else has received one of these yet and could post pictures of the shaft and head where Bodogs hatchet was scarred up. Or at least tell us if they have any markings like that on theirs.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:42 am
SF Native wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:04 am
I looked up the gransfor bruk and Vaughan axes you mentioned. Vaughan doesn’t seem to publish anything about the steel used or the hardness if heat treat. Gransfors has a 40 page book, which is quite impressive and it does say that it’s heat treated to rc57. But it doesn’t say what kind of steel it is other than it’s forged.
I think that Council Tools has published their heat treat and steel information. And they are the ones making this tool for Spyderco, aren't they?

At any rate, I seem to remember reading that Council Tools heat treats from the edge an inch back. I think it was in their advertising literature, and they were comparing it to other manufacturers that don't treat as far back, with the idea that their axe would be more durable (think decades instead of years).

And I believe Sal already stated the steel used for the Spyderco.
Yes, knifecenter lists the steel as 5160 tool steelnin the item description.
I heard that counsel is making it. Maybe a more acceptable question would be if council is using one of their standard heat treats or if a new process was used on these. If it’s the same, then consult council published info.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I have been reading about the Spyderco hatchet and I want one; even though I reasonably have no real use for one. There are maybe six or more various small axes and chopping tools in my garage and I doubt any other than my go to one have been used in the last two years...some have been sitting unused closer to twenty, and as a few came from my grandfather it is possible that other than being cleaned and sharpened some haven't been used for work in maybe forty years. Maybe I have different perspective, but if I buy one, I'll be buying an axe, not a knife. I have different expectations for a tool designed to chop, be thrown, and hammer on things. Balance and performance far outweigh extremely minor cosmetic flaws. After hammering a couple tent stakes, removing some offending limbs, and trying a couple throws on a log end, no tool is going to look pristine until we discover admantium. My go-to hatchet is nothing to look at, but does exactly what it is supposed to do. I hope to have an opportunity to swing a Spyderco Hatchet sometime soon.

Grizz
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

As pointed out to me via PM, the GP Knives video shows the same issues. I don't know if it's a different one than i received but the marks are almost identical. Shoot, they look identical to me, enough to where i believe the one they show in the video is the one i received. Of course the video doesn't spend much time showing the different gouges, but from what i can tell it looks the same. Same washed out makers marks that Ookami's clearly has. There's even the same white mark on the butt of the handle where it looks like it was dropped. And for a half second the guy in the video pointed at and touched the same marred rivet on the sheath.

When i got it it was sealed in a plastic bag, i figured they hadn't opened it. Maybe they did and the one i got was one they messed with and then resealed it? They are closed on the weekends and Mondays and i received it on Saturday.
Tomorrow I'll talk to them.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

gdwtvb wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:42 am
I have been reading about the Spyderco hatchet and I want one; even though I reasonably have no real use for one. There are maybe six or more various small axes and chopping tools in my garage and I doubt any other than my go to one have been used in the last two years...some have been sitting unused closer to twenty, and as a few came from my grandfather it is possible that other than being cleaned and sharpened some haven't been used for work in maybe forty years. Maybe I have different perspective, but if I buy one, I'll be buying an axe, not a knife. I have different expectations for a tool designed to chop, be thrown, and hammer on things. Balance and performance far outweigh extremely minor cosmetic flaws. After hammering a couple tent stakes, removing some offending limbs, and trying a couple throws on a log end, no tool is going to look pristine until we discover admantium. My go-to hatchet is nothing to look at, but does exactly what it is supposed to do. I hope to have an opportunity to swing a Spyderco Hatchet sometime soon.

Grizz
For the most part i agree in saying that cosmetic flaws shouldn't be worried about on a working tool. But just the same i wouldn't want those flaws present on my knives when they're new out of the box and all of my knives are working tools. I don't collect just to collect and i don't have safe queens unless i just don't carry a knife that much.

It is what it is. Hopefully I'll be able to get a refund on this one or exchange it for one without so many obvious flaws right out of the box. Sal said he's working with a new company and it sounds like they're trying to get up to speed. Can't really fault that too badly but i don't really enjoy being the guinea pig. But i know that does happen with new product lines.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Hey Bodog, sorry about your hatchet. I'd be a little disappointed too. But, as one person said, have faith. I'm sure Spyderco will do what they can to help resolve the issue. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Mystery Flavor

Post by Mystery Flavor »

Bodog wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:50 am
As pointed out to me via PM, the GP Knives video shows the same issues. I don't know if it's a different one than i received but the marks are almost identical. Shoot, they look identical to me, enough to where i believe the one they show in the video is the one i received. Of course the video doesn't spend much time showing the different gouges, but from what i can tell it looks the same. Same washed out makers marks that Ookami's clearly has. There's even the same white mark on the butt of the handle where it looks like it was dropped. And for a half second the guy in the video pointed at and touched the same marred rivet on the sheath.

When i got it it was sealed in a plastic bag, i figured they hadn't opened it. Maybe they did and the one i got was one they messed with and then resealed it? They are closed on the weekends and Mondays and i received it on Saturday.
Woah! Whoever noticed that GP video and pointed it out to you has a super keen eye! I found the video and I can say with as close to 100% certainty that is the exact same specimen they are handling as what you got and posted photos of. For anyone curious the GP Knives video is here and it's around the 9-10 second mark where you can see the identical gouges and marks. Another time later in the video shows them quickly also.

https://youtu.be/laX1HDKh3LU

The randomness of the marks your photos showed is so unlikely to be exactly consistent on more than 1 hatchet. That must be a weird feeling to realize your was in that video! :eek:

I've been very interested in this model since it was announced, so I plan to keep an eye on this topic to see what other people find when they get one. I'd like to think you just got some weird fluke that maybe wasn't supposed to be released? At least I hope to hear they aren't all like what you got.

Other than the things you've mentioned, how did you like it from your quick time handling it?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Mystery Flavor wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:11 pm
Bodog wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:50 am

Woah! Whoever noticed that GP video and pointed it out to you has a super keen eye! I found the video and I can say with as close to 100% certainty that is the exact same specimen they are handling as what you got and posted photos of. For anyone curious the GP Knives video is here and it's around the 9-10 second mark where you can see the identical gouges and marks. Another time later in the video shows them quickly also.

https://youtu.be/laX1HDKh3LU

The randomness of the marks your photos showed is so unlikely to be exactly consistent on more than 1 hatchet. That must be a weird feeling to realize your was in that video! :eek:

I've been very interested in this model since it was announced, so I plan to keep an eye on this topic to see what other people find when they get one. I'd like to think you just got some weird fluke that maybe wasn't supposed to be released? At least I hope to hear they aren't all like what you got.

Other than the things you've mentioned, how did you like it from your quick time handling it?
I like it. It's a design that seems to marry the utility of a tool and a little bit of flair that makes it seem cool. Comfortable to handle. Head was pretty well symmetrical. Price seems a little steep but there's not a lot like it on the market as a package.

Sheath seemed well done. Storage pouch was nice.

Like you said, maybe i got one that wasn't supposed to make it out into the wild?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I'd also be disappointed if I ordered a brand new Spyderco with such cosmetic flaws even though in time and with use it would look worse.

I'm more interested in how both the axe and hammer heads perform and over time. Also, the comfort and gripiness of the handle under various conditions and over extended sessions.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Trp2080

Post by Trp2080 »

Keithkevinken has a YouTube video up of his it looks great. Im definitely going to get one of these
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Crux wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:59 pm
I do like it but I was hoping for a slightly larger head.
Crux,

If that's your axe in the photo you posted would you mind taking a closer picture of the side of the head and also the spot that seems messed up on mine? It looks like yours has the maker's marks showing nicely from what i can see. I'm curious if these issues are found on others'.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Trp2080 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:14 pm
Keithkevinken has a YouTube video up of his it looks great. Im definitely going to get one of these
The specimen he shows is what i was expecting. Thanks for the heads up that he has that video. I couldn't see any marks or gouges on his like mine had and the laser etching is there looking crisp.
Last edited by Bodog on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for your understanding Bodog. As said, new maker, new concept and we'll "grow them up" as we have many of our knife makers. I think you'll find Ookami's design is very well thought out and from a function point of view, it's a nice tool to use. I too wish it was less expensive. Maybe in time?

sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Sal,

Since I'm still holding onto this one because GP Knives has been closed since i received it, would you want me to send this directly back to spyderco for an exchange so you or your people can look at it or would it be better if it was sent back to the dealer for a refund? I think they're out of stock.

I just received an email from GPK and they said this:

"We did notice this prior to shipment and found that all of our first shipment had the same/similar quality to the one you received."

If i asked for an exchange from spyderco I'd hope it was a specimen that looks as good as the ones shown by Ookami and Keithkevin.
Last edited by Bodog on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I can't get a clear picture but the only problem is the black is washed out on several engravings. Not the best "collectable" but I didn't buy it for that.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Crux

Post by Crux »

I like it better than my old favorite.

Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
sal

Post by sal »

Bodog wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:31 pm
sal wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Sal,

Since I'm still holding onto this one because GP Knives has been closed since i received it, would you want me to send this directly back to spyderco for an exchange so you or your people can look at it or would it be better if it was sent back to the dealer for a refund? I think they're out of stock.

I just received an email from GPK and they said this:

"We did notice this prior to shipment and found that all of our first shipment had the same/similar quality to the one you received."

If i asked for an exchange from spyderco I'd hope it was a specimen that looks as good as the ones shown by Ookami and Keithkevin.
You can send it to us if you like and we can do our best to find one that has a better finish, but I can't make any promises. we knew they were less than perfect finish on this run. Call if to my attention.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

double post.

sal
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Based on what GP Knives emailed Bodog that "all of our first shipment had the same/similar quality to the one you received" and Sal's post that "we knew they were less than perfect finish on this run" it sounds like these should not have made it past QC and into the hands of dealers.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln