Spyderco Hatchet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bodog

Spyderco Hatchet

Post by Bodog »

What happened to the hatchet that was going to be made by council tools for spyderco? Haven't seen or heard anything about it for a long time.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Mushroom

Re: Spyderco Hatchet

Post by Mushroom »

The Genzow Hatchethawk! Was wondering about that recently myself.

(Picture from Spydercollector.com - https://spydercollector.wordpress.com/2 ... tchethawk/)
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I would sure like to see a utility type hatchet or hawk with Spyderco's name on it. Probably because there are so many hatchets and hawks already on the market that maybe Spyderco perceives the market as already being at a saturation point.

I've heard that Council Tools is currently the only true USA made hatchet or ax on the market. Not sure I agree with that because I was almost certain that ESTWING was a USA made company?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:57 am
The Genzow Hatchethawk! Was wondering about that recently myself.

(Picture from Spydercollector.com - https://spydercollector.wordpress.com/2 ... tchethawk/)
I hope it's not that. Polyurethane handles and a bit that is wholly too thick and a single sided bevel? What good does it serve?

Beautifully done hickory or cherry with a proper edge geometry and differentially treated edge and poll? Good to go. Something that estwing could do better for far less money? Count me out.

That looks like a hammer on one side and a bad hammer on the other.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Anyway, i thought i remember seeing a picture of a more classically styled one. If spyderco put their ergonomics and edge profile demands into a hatchet and it was finished in the same or better manner as a velvicut, I'd be impressed.

Try to sell me something cold steel or kershaw does or did for a fraction of the price spyderco would offer it for, then I'll pass. And don't, for god sakes, try to sell me a good hatchet with d2 or S30V steel.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Bodog wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:05 pm
Anyway, i thought i remember seeing a picture of a more classically styled one. If spyderco put their ergonomics and edge profile demands into a hatchet and it was finished in the same or better manner as a velvicut, I'd be impressed.

Try to sell me something cold steel or kershaw does or did for a fraction of the price spyderco would offer it for, then I'll pass. And don't, for god sakes, try to sell me a good hatchet with d2 or S30V steel.
maxamet only please :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I guess this project fell by the wayside?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

This project is very much alive. Production is in progress and the leather sheath prototype had been approved. Its production is in progress with one of Spain's finest leather goods makers.

Stay safe,

Mike
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:31 am
This project is very much alive. Production is in progress and the leather sheath prototype had been approved. Its production is in progress with one of Spain's finest leather goods makers.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks for the update, Mike.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:31 am

Stay safe,

Mike
if it is the one I have in mind,
they will be very good sheaths, at least in the base material :cool:
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Can anyone confirm if this is the one being made by council tools for spyderco? I can't seem to find the thread. It was a traditional hatchet iirc.
sal

Post by sal »

The steel is 5160.

sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Found the thread, yeah, this was the one i was thinking of. 5160 head made in Waccamaw, NC. Council Tools is in Waccamaw, NC. If the heads are being produced in Waccamaw with 5160 steel then I'd assume they're being made by Council Tool. Their velvicut line is made with 5160 steel. Their lower tiered axes are made with 1060. Their contracted Forest Service axes were made with 4140. They make a range of tools for working in the woods.

CT axes and tools were used by the National Forest Service, including their wildland firefighters, for many, many years. The upgraded version of their forest service axe called the bad axe (a boy's axe). I have this version and for what it is trying to be it excels. For a useful sized small felling/limbing axe it is top notch. Comparable with gransfors bruk axes. Different, with a little different end goal, but equally as good. The best axe handle I've seen (and felt). That belongs to a separate review because it seems this handle will not be a velvicut handle.

If Spyderco tapped CT to make these hatchet heads with 5160 then CT is making the heads with the same steel they make their top of the line axe heads with. Hardened likely to somewhere between 52 and 56 RC. Their velvicut axes, at least, get heat treated to about an inch or more back from the edge. Most axes get 1/4 to maybe 1/2 an inch if you're lucky. That extends the useful life of the axe greatly. Think generations instead of one lifetime if you aren't abusive to the tool.

The velvicut bad axe is a really freaking well made axe and if CT is making this hatchet head then it'll be a really good one. With the hammer face on the other side being hardened that'll make an excellent carry and a nice addition to the small market of quality trapper's/camp hatchets. Hopefully the edge is ground better than it appears in the previous pictures provided by Mr. Blonde at the Amsterdam meet. I assume that was just a production sample or maybe photos that don't capture the true bevel angle because the velvicut axe i have is really well done with a stellar geometry. I would have to believe that's why spyderco chose them, among other things. And that they're one of the last wholly made in America tool companies that still produces quality work at competitive prices.

That's all IF they're being made by CT.

And if the sheaths made by CT didn't cut the mustard and spyderco is going with another leather sheath manufacturer then i have ro assume that will be pretty danged good as well because the sheath supplied with my velvicut axe is what i would consider well done.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

all in all seems an exciting and well thought out axe, the only "but" that I see is the already mentioned grind and edge of the pics :confused: hopefully result of that one being a prototype
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Bodog wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:41 pm
Found the thread, yeah, this was the one i was thinking of. 5160 head made in Waccamaw, NC. Council Tools is in Waccamaw, NC. If the heads are being produced in Waccamaw with 5160 steel then I'd assume they're being made by Council Tool. Their velvicut line is made with 5160 steel. Their lower tiered axes are made with 1060. Their contracted Forest Service axes were made with 4140. They make a range of tools for working in the woods.

CT axes and tools were used by the National Forest Service, including their wildland firefighters, for many, many years. The upgraded version of their forest service axe called the bad axe (a boy's axe). I have this version and for what it is trying to be it excels. For a useful sized small felling/limbing axe it is top notch. Comparable with gransfors bruk axes. Different, with a little different end goal, but equally as good. The best axe handle I've seen (and felt). That belongs to a separate review because it seems this handle will not be a velvicut handle.

If Spyderco tapped CT to make these hatchet heads with 5160 then CT is making the heads with the same steel they make their top of the line axe heads with. Hardened likely to somewhere between 52 and 56 RC. Their velvicut axes, at least, get heat treated to about an inch or more back from the edge. Most axes get 1/4 to maybe 1/2 an inch if you're lucky. That extends the useful life of the axe greatly. Think generations instead of one lifetime if you aren't abusive to the tool.

The velvicut bad axe is a really freaking well made axe and if CT is making this hatchet head then it'll be a really good one. With the hammer face on the other side being hardened that'll make an excellent carry and a nice addition to the small market of quality trapper's/camp hatchets. Hopefully the edge is ground better than it appears in the previous pictures provided by Mr. Blonde at the Amsterdam meet. I assume that was just a production sample or maybe photos that don't capture the true bevel angle because the velvicut axe i have is really well done with a stellar geometry. I would have to believe that's why spyderco chose them, among other things. And that they're one of the last wholly made in America tool companies that still produces quality work at competitive prices.

That's all IF they're being made by CT.

And if the sheaths made by CT didn't cut the mustard and spyderco is going with another leather sheath manufacturer then i have ro assume that will be pretty danged good as well because the sheath supplied with my velvicut axe is what i would consider well done.
This sounds super good!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:41 am

This sounds super good!
I was thinking the same as long as the geometry and ergos are as good as spyderco normally tries to accomplish.

The plastic handles don't bother me all that much as it is HARD to find a consistently grade A supplier of wood handles. If these come out with bad geometry then i don't care who sourced what from who and their back story, I won't spend a dime on a bad hatchet. I assume these will sell for a very pretty penny. They've been 5+ years in the making and there are some high quality names involved for this collaboration. If it comes out with the geometry shown then I'd rather go to a quality smith and have them make me something with edges and polls more suitable to my liking.

IF these come with quality, geometry, and ergos that spyderco and council tools are known for, then they'll likely be worth the cost and probably a little more regardless of the plastic handles. That can be resolved easily enough if i want something different for about $20 and some time and effort on my part.

I'd be willing to drop $250 on a hatchet that incorporates the ideologies and goals of these outstanding companies. It's something that i could use for years to come with my son and give to him when i die. If it doesn't or can't, then I don't care about spending heirloom money on tools that don't really move the bar. I'll go somewhere else for that level of quality.

It is what it is. I'm not a collector. I appreciate good tools when they come around. Spyderco usually is on top of it. I hope they don't fall short on this one considering the amount of time and companies involved. This one coule be outstanding or it could be far less than that. I guess we'll see.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Bump because this is a really interesting project
sal

Post by sal »

They're starting to come in and sheaths are being made.

sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Can't wait to get my hands on one
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Bodog wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:52 pm
Can't wait to get my hands on one
both hands though :D