Spyderco Hatchet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Spyderco Hatchet

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:50 pm
Hi Steelcity,

It's regular production.

sal

Good to know. Looking forward to grabbing one. Thanks Sal.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I think this is an excellent concept. Many years ago I was a dedicated backpacker and in the summer of 1976 I built a kitchen into the back of my VW Rabbit, took the then new North Face Geodesic Dome tent, a 30-30 and other necessaries and drove to Alaska and back. Going up I took an unimproved and under construction dirt road through western BC. I did not have anything like this hatchet. Being daypack size it would have been very useful. Looks like a fine design.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Just saw a BladeHQ video with some people beating up a couple junkyard cars using the Hatchet Hawk. Seemed a little senseless, but at least they should be showing up in stock fairly soon! :D
-Nick :bug-red
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:34 pm
Just saw a BladeHQ video with some people beating up a couple junkyard cars using the Hatchet Hawk. Seemed a little senseless, but at least they should be showing up in stock fairly soon! :D
Mind posting the link? I can't seem to find that video.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Wright.88 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:41 pm
Mushroom wrote:
It's currently posted on their Instagram story. More of a quick clip than a video. The clip also showed a couple people filming. I'm guessing for one of their longer videos.

https://www.instagram.com/bladehq/

It can be viewed in a web browser or Instagrams mobile app by clicking on their profile picture.
-Nick :bug-red
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:52 pm
Wright.88 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:41 pm
Mushroom wrote:
It's currently posted on their Instagram story. More of a quick clip than a video. The clip also showed a couple people filming. I'm guessing for one of their longer videos.

https://www.instagram.com/bladehq/

It can be viewed in a web browser or Instagrams mobile app by clicking on their profile picture.
Found it, thanks! Getting excited to grab one of these :)
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

I recently got the collaborator's sample piece and thought I'd share what you get in the package.

The HatchetHawk comes in a big zipper pouch:

Here's what's inside - HatchetHawk protected by a rubber edge guard, axe mask (sheath), flyer:

HatchetHawk inside the heavy duty leather axe mask:

Ookami
PStone

Post by PStone »

Wow! Very nice. Thank you for sharing. I will be picking one of these up when they drop. Must be getting close :D
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much Ookami, It did come out rather nice. Works well also. A classic piece, made in the US.

sal
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Wow, that looks great! I really like the looks of the sheath. Will almost certainly be picking one of these up when they drop.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Ookami, would you mind posting pictures of the edge from the front and the top to get a better perspective? Seems like that's been kind of obscured since the initial photos from the Amsterdam meet. With the regrinding of the original bevels itd be nice to see.

I agree, it looks like a really nice package. Something I'm still interested in if the cutting geometry is there.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

sal wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:31 am
Thanx much Ookami, It did come out rather nice. Works well also. A classic piece, made in the US.

sal
Thank you for having me on board as a collaborator. And yes, it came out rather nice indeed. The satin finish on the head and the matte finish on the handle really set it apart from the last prototype in terms of style points.

Ookami
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

Bodog wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:23 pm
Something I'm still interested in if the cutting geometry is there.
Don't worry. I have used the prototype, which has the improved edge geometry, for a wide variety of woodworking tasks. This includes, but is not limited to carving spoon blanks, preparing kindling, cutting up old 1x4" planks for firewood as well as limbing and bucking green wood clearing an overgrown orchard etc. To quote rather well known knife person and TV personality Doug Marcaida: "It will cut."

So here you go:

As you have been rather keen on learning about the edge geometry (excuse the pun, but it was too good an opportunity to pass off) I want to offer you some additional perspectives on the tool:
  • It is very well balanced. If you lay the HatchetHawk on your palm with the poll and the bit in a horizontal plane, it will not dip/roll towards the bit or the poll. Together with the indexing of the handle it enables very precise chops.
  • Also, the handle sweep will give you an aggressive cut by enhancing the cant of the edge when you choke down all the way to the butt and a more neutral/precise cut when you hold it more towards the middle.

Ookami
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I want one!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I can't wait to get one of these
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Ookami wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:36 pm
Bodog wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:23 pm
Something I'm still interested in if the cutting geometry is there.
Don't worry. I have used the prototype, which has the improved edge geometry, for a wide variety of woodworking tasks. This includes, but is not limited to carving spoon blanks, preparing kindling, cutting up old 1x4" planks for firewood as well as limbing and bucking green wood clearing an overgrown orchard etc. To quote rather well known knife person and TV personality Doug Marcaida: "It will cut."

So here you go:

As you have been rather keen on learning about the edge geometry (excuse the pun, but it was too good an opportunity to pass off) I want to offer you some additional perspectives on the tool:
  • It is very well balanced. If you lay the HatchetHawk on your palm with the poll and the bit in a horizontal plane, it will not dip/roll towards the bit or the poll. Together with the indexing of the handle it enables very precise chops.
  • Also, the handle sweep will give you an aggressive cut by enhancing the cant of the edge when you choke down all the way to the butt and a more neutral/precise cut when you hold it more towards the middle.

Ookami
Looks like a nice hatchet. Looks well done in all regards
SG89

Post by SG89 »

These are dropping soon, saw cc's on the bay...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I want one very badly. The hammer and hatchet is a great backpacking tool.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

In stock at GP Knives. Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/laX1HDKh3LU
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Wright.88 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:40 pm
In stock at GP Knives.
Thanks for the heads up. Ordered.