Do you think the delica is still relevant?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Re: Do you think the delica is still relevant?

Post by Bill1170 »

Yes. The Delica is still relevant. It is a tremendously evolved and balanced design. I own many other Spydercos, most of them more expensive than a bog standard Delica lightweight, and yet my Delicas get carried a lot. It’s a magnificent knife!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Yes I do.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:47 pm
Hi Dave,

Sometimes the real value of something (or someone) is not obvious to the eye.

sal
That’s exactly it-
Additionally like many others when it comes to giving a knife as a gift it’s always the delica- that says a lot in my books.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Delica 4 works for me; the others don't. Guess this is why I own 17!

I give it high marks in function and low marks in artistry. It is a knife that just works better (for me) than any. I prefer the simple FRN to the upscaled handle versions. I own the titanium but still find the FRN more attractive and true to function. It is better in its simple skin (FRN) than dressed up in Pakawood, Carbon Fiber, Stainless, and G-10.

My favorite Delica is the Damascus blade Foliage Green FRN. I think this is the only way it has been successfully upgraded in artistry. I would like to see more Delica 4's offered in FRN with Damascus blade!!! Would likely have to buy all of those.

I'd also like to see a Delica 4 offered with Micarta scales.

I own the Native 5. Have had three of them but ended out selling the FRN, and I am in the process of selling the Carbon Fiber Fluted, and will hold onto the smooth green G-10. It has some nice qualities but isn't the knife the Delica 4 is.

I've owned the Manix 2 and that one went away.

I own three PM2's and don't see any changes other than adding another ... or two ... or three....

I live a hop and a skip from the factory outlet in Golden. I've on more than one occasion gone thru the showroom handling every knife the company has to offer and none of them stack up to the Delica 4.

It is a big world out there and not everyone likes and thinks the same. For me the Delica 4 is the G.O.A.T.; the Muhammad Ali of pocket knife EDC!!!

My .02,

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cycleguy,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

YES! It's the knife that got me (and so many others) into the spyderco brand.
Whether because of cost or the unique look of the holes in the blades, many people will not want to spend big $$$ on their first Spyderco. The Delica offers a lot in a fairly affordable knife. It's not cheap but at what, 60-bucks it's reasonable to even nonknife people. If you just want a basic worknife or edc it does the job. If you want to get into spydercos... well it has is and will be the introduction to spyderco for so many. It would be a foolish move to ever stop making it.
Also, it occupies a unique role. I have a few other spydies that cost more, but are about the same blade size; para3, positron, etc. Yet I often end up carrying a delica, and tho I only have two (standard and warncliff) I intend to get at least 2 more... one in zdp and one with an orange handle.
It's lightweight, slim size and general specs and (relatively) lower cost make it a perfect practical or work knife, to use and carry daily, as opposed to a nicer knife one might buy with the intent to use, but also because it is cool, of fun, or neat. Yes these often get used too, and I am not saying the delica is not cool, but I am saying if I had to get a knife dirty or use it in less than optimal conditions I'd rather use my delica rather than say my positron. Also...sometimes you just want something simple. The delica isn't as "nice" as say my para3, and not as fancy as my positron. But it is an awesome knife in itself and perfectly usable, and sometimes you just want that simple basic knife. The fact that it's also slim, light, and doesn't cost as much doesn't hurt!

The knife is the basic "spyderco" in the minds of most people who aren't into them; it is like the 1911 is to colt, or the Jeep is to jeep, or the 1x1 is to Surly mountain bikes. It is a flagship model, a symbol, and a starting point for something wonderful.
It will never not be relevant.

Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Daveho wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:50 pm
sal wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:47 pm
Hi Dave,

Sometimes the real value of something (or someone) is not obvious to the eye.

sal
That’s exactly it-
Additionally like many others when it comes to giving a knife as a gift it’s always the delica- that says a lot in my books.
Same here. I’ve gifted Delicas to 3 friends and modded one as a gift for my dad. The Delica is like the “just right” bowl of porridge in the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

For the money the Vg-10 delica certainly no longer represents the same value it once did however it’s a beautiful knife.
Zdp delica, now that’s the business
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Forever !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

As long as there are sprint runs or exclusives, I'll be buying at least one a year
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!