Do you think the delica is still relevant?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

Re: Do you think the delica is still relevant?

Post by tvenuto »

Im with reject: absolutely. I have knives that beat the Delica in one aspect or another, but none that beat it in all (or even most).

RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

That's an awesome pic right there. ^^
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

That really is a great picture! Thanks for posting

As I continue down the spyderco rabbit hole (spydie hole?) im finding that there are knife in the line up I prefer to carry and just suit me better personally but like I said before, the delica has an X factor that makes it the yard stick by which I gauge many of my other knives.

And I wanted a special one so I went in on the SG2 delica :)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I find the delica is too small for extended use for my hands, but it is a highly refined design that definitely hits above its class. in use it shines.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

tvenuto wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:35 am
Im with reject: absolutely. I have knives that beat the Delica in one aspect or another, but none that beat it in all (or even most).
Well said!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

From a practical perspective, I can’t afford many Spydercos. The ones I have are users. I ended up selling my Delica so I could get a Chaparral FRN. Is the Delica relevant? Yes. But the Chaparral fits my personal needs better and is a better made knife.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Yes.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Is the Sebenza relevant? Is the Buck 110 relevant? Or the Case Trapper? Or, honestly, is any traditional folder relevant? What about KA-BAR?

Sorry for the gob of retorical questions. To be cliche, the classics never die. The delica is svelt. The attacks on the delica seemingly have come from Youtube reviewers hyping new things.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:47 pm
The attacks on the delica seemingly have come from Youtube reviewers hyping new things.
Applies to everything "new".

But the reviewers/people seem to always forget that the "old, older" model STILL does what it was designed for
even though a newer model has come out. My 27 year old Endura (and Delica if it hadn't been stolen) still does
as well today as it did when I bought it.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

With the trend towards more gentlemanly folders and the increase in price do you think the delica is still a relevant knife, in its standard configuration, in spydercos lineup and the knife world generally?
The Delica is no less gentlemanly than it's always been. It's one of Spyderco's most recognized models by both name and appearance. So, yes, I think it's still very relevant.

Now, is it a good value with the price increase? There I think not. There may be places selling them below MAP, but reputable dealers that have adhered to the price increase are selling them at a few cents under $75. The Chaparral LW is the same few cents under $88. Relative to the Chappy LW at $13 more, no the Delica is not a good value. Spyderco's own Alcyone at $62 is a much nicer looking knife with nicer handle materials, although the blade steel isn't quite up to the same level as the Delica. I think the Alcyone is the better value.

Going outside the Spyderco world, the Delica is facing stiff competition. Kizer's entire Vanguard line of liner locks are price competitive, and the Begleiter with VG-10 blade and G10 handles now offered in a few colors at $52 stands out. Kershaw's Leek and Skyline at $50 or a little less both have nicer handle materials, comparable blade steel, and are made in the USA. I don't really like assisted openers, but Blade HQ recently got another batch of the M390 blade Links in at $80. If another batch of Dividends in M390 at that price follows, those will be a compelling Delica alternative. Also, the Benchmade Mini Grip at $94 for a US made Axis lock knife with 154CM blade doesn't seem so steep now that the base Delica is only $20 less.

I'm curious to see, beyond the Chaparral LW, what Spyderco brings out in future with the $50-$100 price range being so competitive.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:47 pm
Is the Sebenza relevant? Is the Buck 110 relevant? Or the Case Trapper? Or, honestly, is any traditional folder relevant? What about KA-BAR?

Sorry for the gob of retorical questions. To be cliche, the classics never die. The delica is svelt. The attacks on the delica seemingly have come from Youtube reviewers hyping new things.
IMHO yes the sebenza is, it is still a yard stick for action, no the buck 110 isn’t IMHO in was a big fish in a small pond and I think it’s ugly as sin, case trapper, case as a whole will be as some like to simply collect paterns and the quality dosnt need to be there for that and the Ka-bar has never been on my radar.
I’m not attacking the delica, it’s simply an observation that with changes in the line up it’s my opinion that it’s much easier for someone to pickup say a Chappy or one of the value folders as the delica isn’t occupying the same space it once was.
**** I picked up a dice for $10 more than it costs me to buy a delica from a dealer here, the market is much wider now and I personally don’t see the delica getting as much share as it once did.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Massdrop sold out of a $100+ Delica in a matter of hours. More options are certainly good, but it’s my opinion that the chaparral and the value line are both quite far from the Delica In use and carry. The closest thing I’ve come to the Delica is the native lightweight. Again these are our opinions and no one is wrong but I think the Delica will continue to be a healthy option in the lineup for a long time to come.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

tvenuto wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:50 pm
Massdrop sold out of a $100+ Delica in a matter of hours. More options are certainly good, but it’s my opinion that the chaparral and the value line are both quite far from the Delica In use and carry. The closest thing I’ve come to the Delica is the native lightweight. Again these are our opinions and no one is wrong but I think the Delica will continue to be a healthy option in the lineup for a long time to come.
I was surprised how long it took for the delicas to sell out actually I actually had time to get in and get one :)
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

I sure do like seeing all the love for the Chaparral here! I was slightly hesitant on pulling the trigger on such a small knife for $87, but from some of the posts I've read in various threads, sounds like I should be happy!! Placed my order a couple nights ago. As has been said in this thread, I couldn't justify the Delica over the Chap with the price being as close as they are now.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

as owner of a LW chap and a delica, the choil on the chap makes it stand head and shoulders above the delica when it comes to fitting well in my hands.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I have to say, it’s been a couple of months since I owned a delica-
I miss the crap out of that knife, long story short I’m buying my zdp delica back from the guy I sold it too.
The delica, on the surface is nothing special however for some reason I don’t want to be without one, it is just a great knife
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Is the 4-stroke engine still relevant in cars? ;)
Are sharks outdated?
I rest my case
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dave,

Sometimes the real value of something (or someone) is not obvious to the eye.

sal
brainfriction

Post by brainfriction »

If I was going to buy someone a Spydie as a gift, I'd probably get them a Delica. It checks all the boxes of a good all around EDC.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I prefer the Native blade shape over the Delica. With that said I still carry both in rotation, since I can. I would be very disappointed to see it go since it is a very functional knife and fits the end user requirements for many people.