Do you think the delica is still relevant?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Re: Do you think the delica is still relevant?

Post by Larry_Mott »

The Delica was relevant to me 1993/4. Still is, and i suspect will always be.
The fact it is on just about every Youtuber's "10 best EDC knives ever" list year after year proves i am not alone.
A few knives are timeless, everlasting in my view. Delica, Opinel, Mora come to mind. They will continue to sell well regardless what 'Valyrian steel fancy-pansy' models pop up.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

Reject wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:09 am
I think the Delica is as relevant now as it was when it was first introduced.
It always was and will always be the little brother to the Endura.

Add to that family; the dragonfly, the Ladybug and the Manbug. Then you have 5 knives all with the same manual of operation, in sizes to fit your needs or your needs on a particular day or occasion.

Light weight knives with corrosion resistant blades and an edge that can be easily maintained by the average user. All of them open and close exactly the same way. May not sound great to us knife nuts; :) but it sounds like heaven to the average knife user.

And if truth be told; :o the Delica and its family will cover every need you have in a folding knife. But perhaps; :rolleyes: not necessarily cover your wants.

Plus; when out of its work clothes, :cool: it does dress up very nicely.

Evolution never stops, even when you get it right the first time.
Great collection, especially the three with molded clips. Mine is the first spyderco I ever bought. Own 5 now, a wave is my latest purchase.
Kevhead

Post by Kevhead »

I keep seeing people mention a price increase. I checked Amazon and they start at $65.99. I bought one last month at a brick and mortar for $75. Is this old stock? Or is the increase MSRP. Because “suggested retail price “ is rarely what people pay.

Just curious.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Kevhead wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:02 pm
I keep seeing people mention a price increase. I checked Amazon and they start at $65.99. I bought one last month at a brick and mortar for $75. Is this old stock? Or is the increase MSRP. Because “suggested retail price “ is rarely what people pay.

Just curious.
Well I’d imagine it entirely depends where you live, earlier in the thread I posted retail price for an online retailer here in Australia, it pays to remember that not everyone here is US based and don’t have amazon in the market, you can imagine what that does when you don’t have guys like amazon, BHQ or cutlery shoppe.
While yes we could theoretically order from these suppliers, shipping and exchange kills the difference and local guys know that.
Kevhead

Post by Kevhead »

Daveho wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:25 pm
Kevhead wrote:

Just curious.
Well I’d imagine it entirely depends where you live, earlier in the thread I posted retail price for an online retailer here in Australia, it pays to remember that not everyone here is US based and don’t have amazon in the market, you can imagine what that does when you don’t have guys like amazon, BHQ or cutlery shoppe.
While yes we could theoretically order from these suppliers, shipping and exchange kills the difference and local guys know that.
That makes a lot of sense. Have you noticed an increase in what you used to see them asking in Australia?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:17 pm
The Delica was relevant to me 1993/4. Still is, and i suspect will always be.
The fact it is on just about every Youtuber's "10 best EDC knives ever" list year after year proves i am not alone.
A few knives are timeless, everlasting in my view. Delica, Opinel, Mora come to mind. They will continue to sell well regardless what 'Valyrian steel fancy-pansy' models pop up.
And as long as Spyderco keeps doing new interesting things with the modelbthey will be renewingly relevant
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Kevhead wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:35 pm
Daveho wrote:
Kevhead wrote:

Just curious.
That makes a lot of sense. Have you noticed an increase in what you used to see them asking in Australia?
Not really as they are well above the MSRP anyway at $92USD (plus shipping) for a standard one however that’s assuming you use authorised retailers in the hopes of having some sort of warranty from the importer however that’s a seperate issue.
Caustic Dick

Post by Caustic Dick »

I hope so. I just bought my daughter a Delica for her birthday.
Don't get bit by your Spyderco........
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Caustic Dick wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:00 pm
I hope so. I just bought my daughter a Delica for her birthday.
It’s very much a rhetorical question about the territory the delica had all to itself however now with models like the chaparral, native 5 lightweight and so on being closer in price (as per MSRP price increase, steet price will vary) than before and steels like XHP getting more available and price competitive.

The delica wil ALWAYS be a classic but will it always dominate in the way it has?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Daveho wrote:
I’m not too sure what point you’re trying to make?

I buy most of my knives from KnifeCentre so I pay what everyone else pays for the knife. Albeit I don’t always get the current exchange rate which may have to do with time zones (?) but I think $US15.95 shipping to the other side of the planet is very reasonable. Particularly when you take into account it cost $AU10.00 to have a small spool of fishing line or a lure shipped from the next suburb here in Oz.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:21 pm
Daveho wrote:
I’m not too sure what point you’re trying to make?

I buy most of my knives from KnifeCentre so I pay what everyone else pays for the knife. Albeit I don’t always get the current exchange rate which may have to do with time zones (?) but I think $US15.95 shipping to the other side of the planet is very reasonable. Particularly when you take into account it cost $AU10.00 to have a small spool of fishing line or a lure shipped from the next suburb here in Oz.
That’s not a bad rate actually, not bad at all.
They are on my list, thanks for the tip.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Daveho wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:32 pm
You’re most welcome and they’re a pleasure to deal with. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:57 pm
Daveho wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:32 pm
You’re most welcome and they’re a pleasure to deal with. :cool:
I’m more fortunate than some as being Canberra I have Aussie knives here and I picked up a delica there as I try to support the local brick and mortar when I can but it’s is a marked price disparity.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am convinced that the Delica line of folders from Spyderco fit into a "sweet spot" of price and utility/functionality and cosmetic good looks that will keep them around for a good long time, I hope. The Delica Emerson Wave folder is great as is its larger brother the Endura 4 Wave.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:10 pm
I am convinced that the Delica line of folders from Spyderco fit into a "sweet spot" of price and utility/functionality and cosmetic good looks that will keep them around for a good long time, I hope. The Delica Emerson Wave folder is great as is its larger brother the Endura 4 Wave.
A delica with a wave is on my list something wild, Actually my list has a few Delica on it-more
Than any one other model.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Dave I am so glad you also like the Delica with the Emerson Wave Feature on it. Did you know that that can also be used to open pop-tops on bottled drinks?
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

It’s a fantastic thing!
I need to get one sooner rather than later, I hav held a couple but never put one to work.
Can’t say I’ve tried cracking a beer with one but I can definitely see me doing it :)
That said with a mantra, para3 and Chappy in the pile the delica dosnt see as much Pocket time for me personally, but with a wave feature it brings something that the others don’t.
C99c

Post by C99c »

Most of the people I know that carry a Delica just want a handy, generally useful knife that sharpens easily and doesn't immediately lose it's edge. Most don't own a bunch of knives and couldn't care less about about the newest, bestest thing on the internet.

It punches way above it's weight class, but has no problem doing light chores daily. It's not a new design, but holds it's own with new designs. It's offered in just enough flavors to suit a variety of folks.

It's the 5.7 Chevy 350, Toyota 4 banger or whatever the **** engine all those millions of '90s-early '00s Civics and Accords had of the knife world (4 cylinder S10? No, lol).

It's a well designed, we'l received tool. An Estwing Hammer. A pair of Channelocks. They don't lose they're relevance just because the winds blow a different way or something new and shiny comes along.
Support Knife Rights. https://kniferights.org/

Don't buy knives from EBAY or AMAZON. There are plenty of good companies that will appreciate your business and don't sell fakes.
Kevhead

Post by Kevhead »

C99c wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:28 pm
Most of the people I know that carry a Delica just want a handy, generally useful knife that sharpens easily and doesn't immediately lose it's edge. Most don't own a bunch of knives and couldn't care less about about the newest, bestest thing on the internet.

It punches way above it's weight class, but has no problem doing light chores daily. It's not a new design, but holds it's own with new designs. It's offered in just enough flavors to suit a variety of folks.

It's the 5.7 Chevy 350, Toyota 4 banger or whatever the **** engine all those millions of '90s-early '00s Civics and Accords had of the knife world (4 cylinder S10? No, lol).

It's a well designed, we'l received tool. An Estwing Hammer. A pair of Channelocks. They don't lose they're relevance just because the winds blow a different way or something new and shiny comes along.
Well said...couldn’t agree more
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

My thoughts regarding the Delica are quite similar to the OP. I've been debating between the Chaparral frn and Delica, but will inevitably decide to go with the Chaparral because of the better steel, pocket clip and overall look. Plus the price difference between the 2 isn't that significant, as the Delica keeps going up in price for whatever reason. BUT...I also want a Delica, as it is a classic. But at the same time, I don't see when or why I would end up using it over the Chaparral and it would mainly just be a display knife. I clearly don't know what I want and would probably be best suited to just get both and call it a day. Drive myself crazy with this little debate in my head on a daily basis the past few weeks.