Wharny Delica Steel Choice...?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hovan2yourknives

Wharny Delica Steel Choice...?

Post by hovan2yourknives »

I'm looking to buy a Wharncliffe Delica and noticed that Cutlery Shoppe is selling their exclusive, which has an S30V blade, for only a few dollars more than the standard VG-10 version. I'm going to swap out the scales with an extra set of BR Green scales that I have lying around so the color is not a deciding factor. I'm having a tough time deciding which steel might perform better in that blade shape...being that it has such an acute tip, I think I'm leaning towards VG-10 for its toughness. However, I feel like I should get it in S30V since it's literally only 3 bucks more. What do you guys think?

I intend for this to be sort of a hard use knife and I've never really used this type of blade that way. The only Wharncliffe knives I have experience with are small traditional slip joints...

All the best!
Hovan
farnorthdan

Re: Wharny Delica Steel Choice...?

Post by farnorthdan »

I ended up grabbing the S30V but have not used it yet, really waiting on the HAP40.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You really can't go wrong with either. S30V will have a bit better working edge but if you damage it (and it sounds like you probably will) it takes a bit more effort and time to grind vs VG10. I might choose VG10 for that reason alone. I've had S30V chip but VG10 has only ever rolled on me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
hovan2yourknives

farnorthdan wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:09 pm
I ended up grabbing the S30V but have not used it yet, really waiting on the HAP40.
Yeah man, I've also been waiting for that but who knows when it'll ship...it could be the end of the year and I don't want to wait until then. I figured I'll get one now and, if I love it, I'll grab the HAP40 when the time comes.
hovan2yourknives

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:15 pm
You really can't go wrong with either. S30V will have a bit better working edge but if you damage it (and it sounds like you probably will) it takes a bit more effort and time to grind vs VG10. I might choose VG10 for that reason alone. I've had S30V chip but VG10 has only ever rolled on me.
The only steels that have given me issues in the past are S90V (not a Spyderco) and until I learned how to deal with it...ZDP-189. But you're right...I think I'd rather deal with a tougher blade that might roll. I've also noticed that VG-10 can stay screaming sharp longer than S30V (which I like!) but doesn't keep that "working edge" as long.

Sal said it best..."for the price, VG-10 is hard to beat"

Thanks!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Exclusive vs production? Better steel for $3 more? Orange handle that can be dyed the same black if you cared? I'd say treat yourself and spend that $3 :)

Seriously though, VG10 does not hold and edge like S30v, and if the tip is gonna break it's gonna break regardless of that steel choice. S30v for the same price as VG10 kinda changes the context of that comment about it being hard to beat IMO.
HammerHill

Post by HammerHill »

As long as we're talking about steels, I think ZDP would be ideal for the wharncliffe delica.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm patiently waiting for the Hap 40, but if I had to get one now, I'd probably get the S30V. KP has some cool Acid wash and Copper wash VG-10 ones if you're into that.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

You can always do what I did...pick up both. I Couldn’t decide which to buy, I love that the S30V is an exclusive, but I like the Black FRN in VG-10, so in true Spyderco Nut fashion...I bought both :D
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
rivy

Post by rivy »

I voted with my wallet and got the S30V. If I'm able to grab a HAP40 then cool, but I have a couple other HAP40 blades so I'm not overly concerned about spending nearly $100 on that one.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'm currently waiting on the Hap40 one as well. I did just order the Vg10 one, but in full Spyderedge.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Wharnies Arrived!!... :D
Attachments
E2E482DB-71ED-444D-A841-2C0A6DBFB5A0.jpeg
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Imho that S30v will ruin VG10 for you
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I've never owned or used a serrated edge Spydie. Can y'all devotees give me a recommendation for a gateway drug...er...knife? I tend to carry a PM2 or larger so vacillating between an Endura or a Delica? Wharnecliffe or regular? Maybe a Native? Or a Manix? Or Maybe a Salt? Too many choices! If you were going to advise on just one to learn the way of the serrations? :)
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Cycletroll wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:43 pm
I've never owned or used a serrated edge Spydie. Can y'all devotees give me a recommendation for a gateway drug...er...knife? I tend to carry a PM2 or larger ...
Out of curiosity, If you tend to carry a PM2, wouldn’t the logical answer be a PM2 serrated?
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Daveho wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:27 pm
Imho that S30v will ruin VG10 for you
Honestly, I don’t think it will. IMO both VG-10 and S30V are premium steels with S30V being only slightly ahead of VG-10. I believe VG-10 to be one of the best All Around steels out there...good durability, easy to sharpen to a razor edge, holds an edge pretty well, and for a steel that is not H1, there are many reviews and tests out there that have proven VG-10 to be very corrosion/rust resistant. But honestly, outside of normal every day tasks such as cutting a box here and opening a package there, which are far and few in between, I just don't use my pocket knife enough to yield even a rough idea of steel performance. So my opinion probably isn’t worth very much in this area.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

JaseRicco wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:22 pm
Cycletroll wrote:
I've never owned or used a serrated edge Spydie. Can y'all devotees give me a recommendation for a gateway drug...er...knife? I tend to carry a PM2 or larger ...
Out of curiosity, If you tend to carry a PM2, wouldn’t the logical answer be a PM2 serrated?
Good point, that!
I suppose that getting a SE version of a knife that I already own would give me a precise point of comparison.
I guess I was looking for input as to wether Forumites had a particular SE knife that they were particularly fond of. Sometimes a given steel or edge design works particularly well in a given form.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Cycletroll wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:56 pm
JaseRicco wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:22 pm
Cycletroll wrote:
Good point, that!
I suppose that getting a SE version of a knife that I already own would give me a precise point of comparison.
I guess I was looking for input as to wether Forumites had a particular SE knife that they were particularly fond of. Sometimes a given steel or edge design works particularly well in a given form.
Fair enough, good point. I prefer plain edge, so I would be of no help as far as serrated knives are concerned.

I see you mentioned the Delica ...it’s no secret that I love the Delica 4. Own it in the Wharncliffe as well.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Cycletroll wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:56 pm
I suggest trying something from the Salt series with H1. I have an original Salt that I like. I also recently picked up a Dragonfly Salt Hawkbill that seems great too. Since you like bigger knives consider trying a Pacific Salt.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I have a PE Pacific Salt and hear that the SE provides slightly better edge retention than the PE. Not really a big deal as H1 is so easy to sharpen. Might just have to go with another Salt. Thanks!