2018 Alistair Phillips!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eli Chaps

2018 Alistair Phillips!

Post by Eli Chaps »

I know it is in the Amsterdam Meet thread but I just think this design deserves its own talking thread. I mean wow!

What a fantastic looking knife with what looks to be a super slicey blade and gorgeous lines. Great size and even a wire clip!!! I'm not even a huge fan of the compression lock but this knife has me looking right past that.

When, oh when???!!!

Anyone else excited about this one?

:D
abbazaba

Re: 2018 Alistair Phillips!

Post by abbazaba »

This is an incredibly useful looking knife. Probably my favorite from the thread. It also looks like all the Torx are the same size, which is bonus IMO. XHP woulda been a nice surprise :)
Last edited by abbazaba on Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Okan_7

Post by Okan_7 »

This is certainly at the top of my list! Looks like it will be a really compelling EDC option
Previously OkanSeven

17 :spyder: and growing!!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I've sure got my eye on it, it being called the "Redback Spyder" (https://youtu.be/DEROO4DgeTo; work the link to see Eric in Germany previewing other new knives as well).
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I was happy to see the knife in Amsterdam, and also to meet Alistair in person. I had no idea who he was until he presented his knife :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Okan_7,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
JimP

Post by JimP »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:58 pm
I've sure got my eye on it, it being called the "Redback Spyder" (https://youtu.be/DEROO4DgeTo; work the link to see Eric in Germany previewing other new knives as well).

That's a cool name ;) , for anyone that is unaware, Redback is the name of a famous/infamous Australian spider pictured below. The knife sure is a looker, I'm wondering if anyone knows if Alistair is the first Australian knife maker to collaborate with Spyderco?

ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

I cant wait for this one! Love the blade shape, sleekness of the handle, wire clip and Taichung fit & finish.

Here are a couple other threads regarding it, kind of cool to see how it has evolved.

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... +phillips

http://knifenews.com/compression-lock-food-prep/

This thread needs some more pics.
Mr Blonde wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:19 pm
This knife was easily my favorite new design from the meet. I ticks all my knife-boxes so to speak: it’s got a perfect bladelength, lowered edge for ergonomic cutting, a slender design easy to carry, lefty-friendly wireclip, and a cool carbon fiber handle with a nice red accent, i.e. the spacer. I absolutely loved it. As a bonus I got to meet Alistair Phillips, who is a very knowledgeable and friendly guy.

Specifications
Overall Length: 21 cm / 8.26 inches
Blade Length: 9 cm / 3.54 inches
Blade Thickness: 3 mm / 0.11 inches
Weight: 95 grams / 3.35 ounces
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! Me Likey! :)

This could kick a PM2 variant out of pocket!
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

This is one of the best looking knives I've ever seen I can't wait!
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Very excited for this one. I will 100% pick one up no matter what. My favorite design of the year!
Josh
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I liked it immediately until I saw the blade length: 3.54". Now the all-knowing legislators in Colorado divined somehow (maybe they used the old Roman sacred chicken gut reading thing) that a knife carried concealed, like in your pocket or under your jacket, with a blade longer than 3.5" is considered a concealed weapon thereby illegal.

So, we are dealing with 1.016 mm of "excess" length. It would be fantastic if that blade were a wee bit shorter for us here in Colorado, and perhaps other jurisdictions as well. I'm trying to imagine how to take that off of the tip without screwing up the knife. Any ideas?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

So excited for this! @Alistair this design is fantastic and I was lamenting not being able to get one right before finding out you'd teamed up with Spydrco. Looking forward to a slip joint design collaboration.

@Sal, any chance we could see this in XHP or CPM 154?
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:29 pm
I liked it immediately until I saw the blade length: 3.54". Now the all-knowing legislators in Colorado divined somehow (maybe they used the old Roman sacred chicken gut reading thing) that a knife carried concealed, like in your pocket or under your jacket, with a blade longer than 3.5" is considered a concealed weapon thereby illegal.

So, we are dealing with 1.016 mm of "excess" length. It would be fantastic if that blade were a wee bit shorter for us here in Colorado, and perhaps other jurisdictions as well. I'm trying to imagine how to take that off of the tip without screwing up the knife. Any ideas?
Write your local politician :mad: and get involved with Knife Rights / AKTI. You could probably get that .04" off the tip with some time and a stone.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Okan_7

Post by Okan_7 »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:14 pm
Hi Okan_7,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks!! Glad to be here
Previously OkanSeven

17 :spyder: and growing!!
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

It's been a good long while since a new knife hit the "want" button quite this hard.
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

This one has grabbed my attention.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

This is probably my most anticipated knife of 2018. I hope it makes it to market this year.

I love the size and profile.

Still waiting on the Caribbean.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I'd like to echo MichaelScott's post. I, too, was totally ready to immediately buy a Phillips Redback until I got to the specs in Mr. Blonde's much anticipated Amsterdam Show post. I live in CA (Los Angeles) where the folder carry limit is 3". How disappointed am I? This Phillips has everything I look for in an EDC folder--sleek, slim, and sexy. Please, Sal, consider producing an exact downsized "Phillips Jr" for those of us who really want this knife but can't buy it--at least not for carry and use outside the house.
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Knifewing wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:17 pm
I'd like to echo MichaelScott's post. I, too, was totally ready to immediately buy a Phillips Redback until I got to the specs in Mr. Blonde's much anticipated Amsterdam Show post. I live in CA (Los Angeles) where the folder carry limit is 3". How disappointed am I? This Phillips has everything I look for in an EDC folder--sleek, slim, and sexy. Please, Sal, consider producing an exact downsized "Phillips Jr" for those of us who really want this knife but can't buy it--at least not for carry and use outside the house.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... 0#p1217262

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:24 pm
Alistair is working on a 3" slippie version.

sal
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF