2018 Alistair Phillips!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cubane

Re: 2018 Alistair Phillips!

Post by Cubane »

reaton626 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:42 pm
Hello,

Joined to forum to say.... good job Alistair and Spyderco! This knife is outstanding.

Nice pics.. That clip sure looks nice on it.
Rutger

Post by Rutger »

Accutronman wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:57 am
bwunger wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:53 am

Only one minor issue, with the lock. The lock bar tension is pretty stiff and the cutout for access to the lock is a bit small so it's not as nice on my finger tip as my para 3. That, along with the small amount of clearance between the fully depressed lock bar and the blade and trying not to squeeze the two scales together makes it hard to drop shut freely. Closing it like you would a mid back lock, swinging the blade half way down with the lock depressed then flipping it over to finish works fine. It's flipping it closed in one motion with the lock squeezed between thumb and index finger that's tough. I don't find it to be a big issue though. Just something to be aware of.
+1. Difficult, even after oiling the pivot, to get a full drop shut.
Sounds just like my Caribbean model. Also had a very stiff lock bar. Seems to be a thing with the Taichung factory. It did get better with time on mine (Caribbean). I can have it free drop easy now, but the lock bar still needs more force than the Golden made knives. If you don't press and hold it in far enough you get drag from the detent ball.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Alistair, Spyderco and the Taichung plant knocked this one out of the park. I’ve been waiting all year for this release and it didn’t disappoint. It’s interesting to me that while this knife is a collaboration, it really feels like a Spyderco. I don’t know if that makes sense, so hopefully people get what I’m saying.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:50 pm
Alistair, Spyderco and the Taichung plant knocked this one out of the park. I’ve been waiting all year for this release and it didn’t disappoint. It’s interesting to me that while this knife is a collaboration, it really feels like a Spyderco. I don’t know if that makes sense, so hopefully people get what I’m saying.

That is good to hear LC! This has been my most wanted knife of the year as well, and mine just shipped today! Wahoo!
Josh
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Once I get my bonus from work, this will be mine! Looks amazing. Hoping for a free drop, as my Taichung Sage 5 also has the hangup/stiff lock bar issue. So strange that happens to be a problem with models from over there. Regardless, it's not a big issue.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:01 pm
...Hoping for a free drop, as my Taichung Sage 5 also has the hangup/stiff lock bar issue. So strange that happens to be a problem with models from over there. Regardless, it's not a big issue.
My Sage 5 was the same when I first got it. After some tweaking (and possibly break in) it's pretty good now. The lock bar on my Sliverax is a little stiffer than my Golden comp locks but the action is fabulous. That might have something to do with the bearings though.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:08 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:01 pm
...Hoping for a free drop, as my Taichung Sage 5 also has the hangup/stiff lock bar issue. So strange that happens to be a problem with models from over there. Regardless, it's not a big issue.
My Sage 5 was the same when I first got it. After some tweaking (and possibly break in) it's pretty good now. The lock bar on my Sliverax is a little stiffer than my Golden comp locks but the action is fabulous. That might have something to do with the bearings though.
I've tweaked a bit, and all its done is give it some side to side blade play. Even with a simple 1/4 turn. Still a fantastic knife, just a bit frustrating I can't get it tuned in like my Golden's. My Sage 5 also locks up with a solid "thwack", a bit different from my PM'2 and Para 3's...guess we can't have it all!

-Rick
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:50 pm

I know what your saying.

Mine is very smooth, and getting smoother still. :cool:
Happy to see yours made it through customs! :)
Last edited by Spydersense on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

What a superb knife Alistair’s Kapara is. Design and execution are off the graph.

Anyone looking not for a little big knife but for a big little one, look no further.

You’ll get utility (if with some loss of control for want of jimping and squared slabs) but also an unnoticeable carry (because sleeker and lighter than a PM2 in the pocket).
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:38 pm
What a superb knife Alistair’s Kapara is. Design and execution are off the graph.

Anyone looking not for a little big knife but for a big little one, look no further.

You’ll get utility (if with some loss of control for want of jimping and squared slabs) but also an unnoticeable carry (because sleeker and lighter than a PM2 in the pocket).
Mine came yesterday and I can't agree more! Buy one folks you will not be disappointed. Now it's pocket time. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Eagerly awaiting mine..
swigert

Post by swigert »

Should have mine tomorrow. Super excited.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Got mine today. Not free-dropping, and the lock disengages with a bit of a pop (like about 2/3rds of my Golden comp locks do).

That said, wow. Beauty.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I gotta pick one of these up, the pics are looking great!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Mine is on its way, should be here tomorrow! :) All those pics aren’t doing easy the waiting...
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Great job Spyderco and Alistar! Knocked this one out of the park! Mine is flawless. This was my most anticipated knife of the year, and it turned out so great, I really don’t think I’ll be making another purchase this year!

Josh
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Those scales look amazing in your photo Josh! I needs this.

-Rick
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

I just received my Kapara this afternoon and it’s all the good stuff everybody has mentioned already. A beautiful design by Alistair and another example of Spyderco/Taichung excellence. I don’t find the lock bar overly stiff. It really has a nice balance between the lock bar stiffness and detent load. Out of the box it drops freely most of the time right or left-hand release. Occasionally it requires a slight shake for the blade to drop, but I'm sure a little break in time or a slight tweak of the pivot screw would remedy this. I just might need a backup of this one….just in case. ;)
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

reaton626 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Ripp's Garage Tech clip looks really nice. Is that the stonewash style?

I see that RGT is offering a "contoured" version. Anyone know how it's different? I can't find a description.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Mine broke in very nicely and is now a free dropper, without making any adjustments. Been loving this thing.
Josh