2018 Alistair Phillips!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BigGrove

Re: 2018 Alistair Phillips!

Post by BigGrove »

I too am experiencing an overly stiff lockbar. Seriously it’s bordering on silly stiff. This combined with the smallish cutout and the sharp liner edge on the opposite side that eats at my fingernail, it makes for an unsatisfying experience.

In addition, the blade will free-drop like 10 times in a row and then suddenly won’t 4-5 times before freeing up again. It’s a bit odd...

Love the design and ergos. Plus it looks great. Unfortunately with the issues in the lockbar area, this may not be a keeper for me. I really want to love the Kapara but I find my S110V PM2 and Sliverax much more satisfying in all aspects unlike the Kapara.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Mine just came in, and I'm floored. I usually carry smaller knives (~3" blade) for edc, but this one is really doing it for me. This thing is slicing like a beast - really loving the combo of the thin stock and FFG. Ergos are great, fit/finish are just stellar. The action on mine is superb - free-falling out of the box w/ zero adjustment, lockbar tension is perfect, zero play. I don't know what it's gonna take to kick the Kapara/McBee combo out of my pockets, but it's definitely not happening soon!
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

I am not going to add nothing new about it (and less with my poor domain of the English language :rolleyes:), it has been perfectly described by many of you before. To me, it’s a surprising and very well done design and it emanates quality where you look at it...

The only thing that I have modified is the shine of the clip. Please don’t misinterpret my words, I love the wire clip but I prefer a matte to a shiny clip. Nothing that a 5 minute bath in a PCB etching solution can’t fix. Now it matches the pivot screws color and draw less attention when the knife is clipped in the pocket.
Please excuse the poor pic, it’s raining a lot, so there is no good light today.
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Filoso- wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:38 am
I am not going to add nothing new about it (and less with my poor domain of the English language :rolleyes:), it has been perfectly described by many of you before. To me, it’s a surprising and very well done design and it emanates quality where you look at it...
The only thing that I have modified is the shine of the clip. Please don’t misinterpret my words, I love the wire clip but I prefer a matte to a shiny clip. Nothing that a 5 minute bath in a PCB etching solution can’t fix. Now it matches the pivot screws color and draw less attention when the knife is clipped in the pocket.
Please excuse the poor pic, it’s raining a lot, so there is no good light today.
I prefer a matt finish on the clip also. I have access to a grit blaster at work so that will take care of the bling.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
swigert

Post by swigert »

I’ll add a black sage clip to mine after getting it in. Also I keep reaching for it to be a liner lock. I haven’t carried a liner lock in quite a while. Weird.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:25 am
The Ripp's Garage Tech clip looks great with this knife. Is that the stonewash finish? I'm interested in picking one of these up.

Is it the sun that makes the backspacer look bright red? Or did you tweak the brightness/color/contrast of your image?
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Yes, that’s a stonewashed Ripps clip. The stock version will not fit right without bending it a bit to match the contour of the Kapara scale on the back end (if you install it straight out of the box, the bottom end of the clip doesn’t touch the scale). While I’m happy with it now, it did take 3 or 4 tweaks to get it to fit right (and I’m still not 100% sure it’s perfect), so good luck! :)

No adjustments to the color in my pic, that’s just the stock backspacer illuminated in full sunlight. From my research recently, this color is technically “ruby red” G10, not just straight “red” (which is a lighter, brighter shade than what Spyderco has been using recently). Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Just got done bead blasting the clip and screws. Now, all of the hardware matches the pivot screws. :)

Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Well done sir!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Looks great!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Thanks gents!

-Matt
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Nicely done! That matching hardware sure looks good =)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Filoso,

Good pic and good English. Thanx.

sal
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Well done Spydersense, that's how it should be from the factory.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Thanks gundamaniac and Peter! :)

-Matt
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Great idea and looks great also. I might just have to do the same.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
Cubane

Post by Cubane »

Loving all the pics.. Keep them coming and thanks for posting them.

Alistair
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

BigGrove wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:01 pm
I too am experiencing an overly stiff lockbar. Seriously it’s bordering on silly stiff. This combined with the smallish cutout and the sharp liner edge on the opposite side that eats at my fingernail, it makes for an unsatisfying experience.

In addition, the blade will free-drop like 10 times in a row and then suddenly won’t 4-5 times before freeing up again. It’s a bit odd...

Love the design and ergos. Plus it looks great. Unfortunately with the issues in the lockbar area, this may not be a keeper for me. I really want to love the Kapara but I find my S110V PM2 and Sliverax much more satisfying in all aspects unlike the Kapara.
Update... I didn't want to give up on this knife with its fantastic design and great feel in the hand, so I decided to disassemble it. Fortunately it's straightforward to take apart. After a thorough cleaning, fresh lube and a careful adjustment of the pivot it now has the smooth and just barely dropshut action I prefer. The lockbar is also less stiff now (but still more effort than I like). This is definitely a keeper now.

My criticisms that remain are the cutout to the lockbar is still on the shallow side which makes my finger sore more quickly than say a PM2. The other is the inside of the liners as well as the Spyder hole have sharp edges like most Taichungs, but I can live with it now that it's easier to open and close.

Overall I love this knife and plan for it to be part of my EDC rotation. Well done!
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

BigGrove wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:58 pm
BigGrove wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:01 pm

Update... I didn't want to give up on this knife with its fantastic design and great feel in the hand, so I decided to disassemble it. Fortunately it's straightforward to take apart. After a thorough cleaning, fresh lube and a careful adjustment of the pivot it now has the smooth and just barely dropshut action I prefer. The lockbar is also less stiff now (but still more effort than I like). This is definitely a keeper now.

My criticisms that remain are the cutout to the lockbar is still on the shallow side which makes my finger sore more quickly than say a PM2. The other is the inside of the liners as well as the Spyder hole have sharp edges like most Taichungs, but I can live with it now that it's easier to open and close.

Overall I love this knife and plan for it to be part of my EDC rotation. Well done!

I love reading stories like this! It is such a freeing feeling when you realize that you have the ability to make a knife your own. Since you've demonstrated that you can disassemble the knife and clean and lubricate it, you're ready for the next step. Go to your local auto parts store (or order from your favorite online retailer) some 2,000 grit sandpaper. Now disassemble your knife and round off the edges of your liners where you find them too sharp. Go slow and use light pressure and before you know it that little culprit that stops you from loving your knife will be gone. You can also wrap a piece of sandpaper around a pencil or wooden dowel and do the same thing to the sharp edge of the spydie hole!

Last step: come back and give us an update so you can be an inspiration to others!