Sal, what are the chances for another DS93X Thor blade spydie?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Re: Sal, what are the chances for another DS93X Thor blade spydie?

Post by archangel »

No damascus handles then. :) Just a nice color G10, or Cf or something else other than FRN that keeps MAP pricing close tp $200 for a DF or LilN.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sounds good to me.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

The reason I passed on the 40th Native was the graphics on the blade. I would have ponied up if the anniversary logo had been just a tad more discreet.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
GH9000

Post by GH9000 »

5-by-5 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:17 pm
WireEdge Roger wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:29 pm
I’ve always wanted a Damasteel Military
Dear Lord! Fluted Carbon Fiber Damasteel Military!

Any price I'll have one.
Same for paramilitary 2 please.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

BrianMcCord wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:06 pm
The reason I passed on the 40th Native was the graphics on the blade. I would have ponied up if the anniversary logo had been just a tad more discreet.
I have one and there are times that I wish the 40 years graphic was a little smaller. Then I think about what it commemorates and I'm glad I have a piece of Spydie history. I just took that knife out of it's pouch and dang...that Thor pattern looks cool...even with the graphic on the blade. If I get tired of looking at the graphic on the show side I can flip it over and stare at the clip side. Thing is...I don't get tired of looking at either side. I have the feeling that if you had the opportunity to hold a 40th Native you'd be hooked. Yes...they're expensive but they're worth every penny. Besides...you get over the price after awhile.

At the show yesterday I saw several custom knives with Damasteel...including some with the Thor pattern. I'm proud to say the pattern on my Native 5 looked better than any of them.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Make a Calypso with Black Linen Micarta and Damasteel. Would be elegant, beautiful, classic, and very functional.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Micarta would probably drive the costs up...
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:41 pm
I am assuming that your interest is for the Damasteel version of Damascus? They were just at Spyderco recently for a tour. Good people.

sal

Just out of curiosity ;) : were they in to just have a beer? Or on a project? Kill me quickly, or throw me a bone, Sal. :)
Michael
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I’m wondering if there is a cost savings to make one in Italy or Taichung or Colorado? Might narrow down which models to consider.

Pm2 and pm3 would probably sell well.
I’m not interested in Frn for this either.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I was just thinking about how virtually every model using damasteel these days is either a backlock or framelock. I'd LOVE a damasteel blade in a comp lock, but I might have to commission that myself...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ageekinthecity

Post by ageekinthecity »

I got a 40th anniversary at $350 with free shipping and tax included. Not bad at all for the size and having carbon fibre scales. I would definitely get a second Damasteel blade for under 200 and also think it's totally achievable, specially replacing the expensive carbon fibre for G10 as a good viable less expensive option. Would also mean I can still use a Damasteel blade more often, appreciating its beautiful pattern on a daily basis, rather than sporadically because I'm too concerned to use my limited edition daily.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The more I think about it, the more I think the Lil Native might be the perfect pattern for using more Damasteel. Each blade isn't very big, so that might be able to drive down material costs as well as price.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Ric

Post by Ric »

Something small and light would be nice.
A gentleman USER
lil native, Dfly, ...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

This thread reminds me that I need to carry the 40th Anniversary Native more. It really is a great knife and deserves to actually be carried and used instead of spending it's life locked in my gun safe.

I'd be up for something else with DS93X Thor
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

White G10 with black hardware would be sooo nice!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

sal wrote:
I think you see the reality of high cost. I guess we have to get down to a mode than enough people have interest and can afford to "taste" of the "spirit" of the design and "experience" of the materials of the new flavor? We can make it happen and you know that we listen, so talk....

I am assuming that your interest is for the Damasteel version of Damascus? They were just at Spyderco recently for a tour. Good people. Then we would want to nail down the particular Damasteel version desired? Keep in mind we have to make 1200 pcs and if the cost is to high, they end up sitting.

sal
Sal I think it is pretty obvious by now people will buy certain things that are not regular production. Some like myself will pay a very high price to get what they want if it is exactly what they want. For example I have Seen Paramilitary 2 knives in M390 sell for close to $300.00 on ebay and that is a choice someone made to pay much more than it retailed for to posses certain qualities.

I think it is also pretty obvious that a threshold has to be met otherwise the cost of manufacturing it too high, the final product goes to retail at a high price and product lingers eating up expensive warehousing space.

A possible solution is do special product projects in the manner of Kickstarter campaigns where a number of pledges and money must be received in a specified limit of time in order to make the project a reality. There are many examples of this including the successful Caswell Morphing Krambit a design which CRKT took up. Quite honestly CRKT is not doing the design justice compared to the one Caswell himself is putting out but they are doing it cheaper.

https://www.kickstarter.com/learn?ref=nav

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ca ... fe/updates

Whenever I see several people agreeing on these forums or any forum about a certain thing it reminds me this is just a small microcosm of those who are talking and if those few who make noise are saying something then there is allot of pent up buying potential out there that prefer to remain silent for multiple reasons including figuring it is a waste of time to say anything. The silent Majority is not to be underestimated.

Lastly you know what works in your business space better than anyone but I maintain there is room for some of the more current methods of bringing products to retail.
Last edited by Doeswhateveraspidercan on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

sal wrote:
I think you see the reality of high cost. I guess we have to get down to a mode than enough people have interest and can afford to "taste" of the "spirit" of the design and "experience" of the materials of the new flavor? We can make it happen and you know that we listen, so talk....

I am assuming that your interest is for the Damasteel version of Damascus? They were just at Spyderco recently for a tour. Good people. Then we would want to nail down the particular Damasteel version desired? Keep in mind we have to make 1200 pcs and if the cost is to high, they end up sitting.

sal
Sal I think it is pretty obvious by now people will buy certain things that are not regular production. Some like myself will pay a very high price to get what they want if it is exactly what they want. For example I have Seen Paramilitary 2 knives in M390 sell for close to $300.00 on ebay and that is a choice someone made to pay much more than it retailed for to posses certain qualities.

I think it is also pretty obvious that a threshold has to be met otherwise the cost of manufacturing it too high, the final product goes to retail at a high price and product lingers eating up expensive warehousing space.

A possible solution is do special product projects in the manner of Kickstarter campaigns where a number of pledges and money must be received in a specified limit of time in order to make the project a reality. There are many examples of this including the successful Caswell Morphing Krambit a design which CRKT took up. Quite honestly CRKT is not doing the design justice compared to the one Caswell himself is putting out but they are doing it cheaper.

https://www.kickstarter.com/learn?ref=nav

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ca ... fe/updates

Whenever I see several people agreeing on these forums or any forum about a certain thing it reminds me this is just a small microcosm of those who are talking and if those few who make noise are saying something then there is allot of pent up buying potential out there that prefer to remain silent for multiple reasons including figuring it is a waste of time to say anything. The silent Majority is not to be underestimated.

Lastly you know what works in your business space better than anyone but I maintain there is room for some of the more current methods of bringing products to retail.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

If Spyderco wanted to do something kickstarter-style for this, I'd personally put down some money to help it happen. Especially something with a comp lock (although I will accept back lock)
Last edited by curlyhairedboy on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:11 am
If Spyderco wanted to do something kickstarter-style for this, I'd personally put down some money to help it happen.
As would I. To me this seems fair and a win win for everyone and I would even donate time to help with the website and whatever other way I could.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

One more thing though - if it is an anniversary model - Please, mark it as such in the form of a "medallion" in the scales a lá Mk1 Starmate. No billboard etching on the blade.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.