Can't believe the BBS M390 Para 3 I received even left the factory

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
koenigsegg

Re: Can't believe the BBS M390 Para 3 I received even left the factory

Post by koenigsegg »

I understand you're mad at BBS for not taking returns but at the same time this means when you order from them you're not getting something someone else has already taken apart which is nice at least. QC isn't perfect this is why there is a warranty!
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:31 am
Bento is known for that, and for that alone I won't do business with them...
A bit difficult to take a hard stand such as not purchasing anything from them when the particular knife that is being offered is being offered exclusively through Bento.

But I agree with you...if they are not going to stand by the products they sell no exclusive is worth the frustration.
Last edited by JaseRicco on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

swigert wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:31 am
Because of some of their policies it still confuses me why Spyderco does business with them...
Agreed. Think it’s time for Spyderco to re-evaluate their business relationship with a company such as Bento.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

ABX2011 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:04 pm
It's called life. Yes it's disappointing but mistakes happen. Unfortunately you'll have to pay to send it back to Spyderco. I believe they'll return the $5 check.
I have to respectfully disagree here. I mean yes, life has it’s ups and downs, so that part of your statement is true, though that holds no bearing on the situation at hand. One should never have to spend more of their hard earned money to send a $160 knife back to a company because it was received flawed or defective right out of the box. Luckily Spyderco is the type of company that stands by their products and customers. And that is evident by Sal’s post regarding the fact that Spyderco was willing to send out a call tag for the knife, even though this is the type of action that should have been taken by Bento.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Outpost76 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:00 pm
sal wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:42 pm
Hi Outpost,

Welcome to our forum. Sorry for your frustration.

I believe Charlynn in customer service is sending out a call tag to get the piece back from you.

sal
I spoke with her earlier and have already sent the knife back to her. I didn't ask for a return label, I sent it back myself in hopes of expediting the process. I don't care what Bento Box puts out in the future, they won't get money from me again. Thanks for your time, I do appreciate it.
Very frustrating situation, but the silver lining is that you see Spyderco is willing to do what is necessary to stand by you and their products. They offered to send a Call Tag which means your’re not out of pocket for shipping. I understand you mailed it in on your own, but rest assured once they receive the knife it will be replaced/repaired and sent back to you via free shipping. I certainly feel that you should not have to go through this process for a brand new $160 knife, but the fault lies with Bento. They should have taken care of your situation without question.

Probably not a good idea to do bustiness with Bento in the future, but you were between a rock and a hard place given the knife you wanted is exclusively sold by Bento...so what do you do.

At any rate, hope it all works out of you in the end. Looks like it will given Sal’s post.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:51 pm
We'l take care of you one way or another.

sal
Awesome Sal! Love seeing this.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

koenigsegg wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:51 pm
I understand you're mad at BBS for not taking returns but at the same time this means when you order from them you're not getting something someone else has already taken apart which is nice at least. QC isn't perfect this is why there is a warranty!
Definitely should not have to use a warranty on a brand new $160 knife that is defective right out of the box. Bento should be taking care of their customers receiving knives such as these no questions asked.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

JaseRicco wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:25 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Definitely should not have to use a warranty on a brand new $160 knife that is defective right out of the box. Bento should be taking care of their customers receiving knives such as these no questions asked.
There are lots of things I shouldn't have to do. But I do have to do them so I get over it. Bento didn't make the knife why is their fault? When you buy from a company you agree to their policies if you don't like it too bad I guess vote with your money. Spyderco missed it in qc. This is going to happen. They're making it right so what's the big deal here? Given the recent threads on knives being taken apart and then returned, At least I know that when I buy a knife there no one else has opened it and messed with it. It would also cut into BBS profits when it's not their fault the product was defective. Do I agree with the policy? Not really but it's their policy not mine.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

sal wrote:

sal
That is simply outstanding. Doesn't get much better than that!
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

koenigsegg wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:43 pm
JaseRicco wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:25 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
There are lots of things I shouldn't have to do. But I do have to do them so I get over it. Bento didn't make the knife why is their fault? When you buy from a company you agree to their policies if you don't like it too bad I guess vote with your money. Spyderco missed it in qc. This is going to happen. They're making it right so what's the big deal here? Given the recent threads on knives being taken apart and then returned, At least I know that when I buy a knife there no one else has opened it and messed with it. It would also cut into BBS profits when it's not their fault the product was defective. Do I agree with the policy? Not really but it's their policy not mine.
Not saying it’s their fault, what I am saying, and what I assume you would agree with, is that a company that does not offer any type of return policy, especially on defective products, is certainly not the norm. I literally can’t tell you the last time I purchased an item from a company that didn’t offer returns, this is unheard of. If I purcahse a product and it is received defective, the item is sent back immediately. The furthest thing from my mind would be to contact the company who produced the item in an effort to open a warranty claim...again, unheard of. And I agree, Spyderco is making it right, and I have acknowledged this in a few of my posts here, so no big deal here at all. Bento has exhibited extremely poor customer service with the way they handled the OP’s situation.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

BrianMcCord wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:53 pm
sal wrote:

sal
That is simply outstanding. Doesn't get much better than that!
Agreed!!
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

clovehitch wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:35 pm
koenigsegg wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:43 pm
There are lots of things I shouldn't have to do. But I do have to do them so I get over it.
If only the QC guy had had this mindset in regard to actually testing this knife. Lmao.
I applied for the job they posted a little while ago I guess they should have hired me! haha
FCM415

Post by FCM415 »

The Twilight Zone of dealers.

When Sal exclaims that online dealers clammored for higher MAP, I imagine Mr. BBS in his house garage turned warehouse was one of the actual few along with maybe OsoGrande. Another piece of work.

BTW, can online dealers offer coupons or "add cart for price" yet? Or is it not actually MAP.
mattman

Post by mattman »

If you have to take your new car back to the dealer for warrantee work, do they reimburse you for the fuel it took to get there? No?
Ok, how about if the same new car gets a recall notice, and it then needs to go to the dealer? Fuel reimbursement then? Still no?

How is this different??

I guess if you stomp your feet loud enough, you get what you want.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FCM415 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:06 am
BTW, can online dealers offer coupons or "add cart for price" yet? Or is it not actually MAP.

Yes, dealers can do either of those things, or find other creative ways of selling for less. Sal has said as much more than once. You can also expend a little effort and call around until you find a dealer willing to negotiate a better price over the phone.
Last edited by The Deacon on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

mattman wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:42 am
If you have to take your new car back to the dealer for warrantee work, do they reimburse you for the fuel it took to get there? No?
Ok, how about if the same new car gets a recall notice, and it then needs to go to the dealer? Fuel reimbursement then? Still no?

How is this different??

I guess if you stomp your feet loud enough, you get what you want.
Fair points..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

koenigsegg wrote:
This is a good point. I'm not a fan of BBS but this at least should be true, and ultimately it's Spyderco's responsibility to cover warranty, not the vendor. It would be nice if they accepted exchanges or something if you decided you wanted something else, but then again that opens the door to people returning used knives. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this becomes more common.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I like the dealer references but also have to remember that the dealer actually makes money from warranty work and gets paid back by the mothership.
mattman

Post by mattman »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:46 am
I like the dealer references but also have to remember that the dealer actually makes money from warranty work and gets paid back by the mothership.
Indeed.
Yet they still don't reimburse you for bringing the item in to be serviced.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

They'll give you a free car wash haha