Can't believe the BBS M390 Para 3 I received even left the factory

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Outpost76

Can't believe the BBS M390 Para 3 I received even left the factory

Post by Outpost76 »

I've been thinking on this and waiting for responses since Friday when my Bento Box Shop M390 Para 3 showed up. I don't even know how the knife I received passed QC. To open the knife I bought from BBS it takes two hands, by two hands it takes pounds of force to open or close. I own enough Spyderco knives to know the gap on the lock side pivot is much larger than it should be. The blade is well off center and i can only guess it is from the gap on the lock side pivot pushing the blade to the show side.

Bento Box wants nothing to do with making this right. The person I spoke with at Spyderco gave me the standard send it in with 5$ talk. I really dont feel I should be out of pocket for any amount of money for a knife with this poor quality. I'm very disappointed that a knife with these issues made it into my hands. I will add I did not take this knife apart , this is an existing problem. Bento Box Shop does not take returns or exchange for any reason that is what leads me to believe this Para 3 left the Spyderco factory this way.

I can't add pictures right now from work but will add some when I get home later today. This isn't about the money it would take to send the knife in and get it back, it's that it never should have left in this condition.
Sjucaveman

Re: Can't believe the BBS M390 Para 3 I received even left the factory

Post by Sjucaveman »

Bento is known for that, and for that alone I won't do business with them. Spyderco on the other hand will help you out if you send it to them.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
vivi

Post by vivi »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:31 am
Bento is known for that, and for that alone I won't do business with them. Spyderco on the other hand will help you out if you send it to them.

I'd avoid any vendor with a return policy like theirs, regardless of what exclusives and discontinued models they have.

OP, as much as I can understand your frustration, I'd go a head and send it to Spyderco. They will make it right. I wouldn't want to have to do that with a new knife either, but these things happen. They will certainly take care of you.
:unicorn
Outpost76

Post by Outpost76 »

It's beyond frustrating to send a new knife I opened and closed once back at my cost. I really wouldn't mind so much if the person I spoke with at Spyderco had acted like they cared or even apologized for having this issue. I thought the person I spoke with would actually care about the product they make but I was wrong. I sent an email to them after calling and am waiting for a response. I want documentation to try and avoid being blamed for taking the knife apart, which I have not done.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Outpost76 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:02 am
It's beyond frustrating to send a new knife I opened and closed once back at my cost. I really wouldn't mind so much if the person I spoke with at Spyderco had acted like they cared or even apologized for having this issue. I thought the person I spoke with would actually care about the product they make but I was wrong. I sent an email to them after calling and am waiting for a response. I want documentation to try and avoid being blamed for taking the knife apart, which I have not done.
You ain't the first to get that kind of attitude from cs.
It's kinda hard to believe they would act that way.
I know for sure it's lost Spyderco business.
A little politeness and showing that they appreciate you goes a long way. But, if that's how it is, then that's how it is.
And honestly, I don't care how busy they are or whatever, that's not a good attitude to display to a customer. At least not imo.
swigert

Post by swigert »

Because of some of their policies it still confuses me why Spyderco does business with them. Rest assured Spyderco will take care of you if you send it in. Ive heard stories of getting their $5 back also....
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

The spyderco customer service rep I talked to seemed to not care about the customer at all and simply said the same blurb about send it in with $5. I don't expect miracles but at least pretend you appreciate your customers.
Adam
swigert

Post by swigert »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:39 am
The spyderco customer service rep I talked to seemed to not care about the customer at all and simply said the same blurb about send it in with $5. I don't expect miracles but at least pretend you appreciate your customers.
send it in and see what happens....
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I've seen many times where spyderco sends the $5 back with the knife. Sure you're out shipping costs one way, but what would you rather do? Open your para 2 with 2 hands?
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I sent mine in over a week ago, I know they'll take care of it. If I wasn't on the forum to know they'd take care of it though I'd likely be turned away from the brand by the demeanor of the customer service rep causing me to doubt how the company treats it's customers.
Adam
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It's called life. Yes it's disappointing but mistakes happen. Unfortunately you'll have to pay to send it back to Spyderco. I believe they'll return the $5 check.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I’m not sure what you want. Are you asking Spyderco to pay for your shipping to them? It would be helpful to know both sides of your conversation with customer service before taking them to task.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The main reason to send it back is so they see it. Sure, you feel cheated and you want it made right, but the bigger picture is if it's as bad as you say then they need to know QC needs kicked up a notch. If you sent it back to BBS that might never happen.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Pics? It sounds like the pivot pin is getting caught up on the scale and just needs to be pushed right through. And yeah they send the $5 back most the time
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Outpost,

Welcome to our forum. Sorry for your frustration.

I believe Charlynn in customer service is sending out a call tag to get the piece back from you.

sal
attila

Post by attila »

This thread makes me happy that I have, thus far, resisted purchasing from BBS, regardless of what they have in stock.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

That sucks that something was wrong with yours. I wonder if they check each knife or like every 5 and assume the ones between are ok? Mine came perfect in everyway and I've loved it so far I hope you end up getting a good one and enjoy it. M390 is some sweet stuff
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Outpost76 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:02 am
When the CruWear Para 2 dropped a while ago I received mine with a detent ball that wasn't pressed fit correctly. When I pulled the knife out of the bag the little metal ball actually fell out. The knife would not stay closed safely at all. So I sent it to Spyderco Warranty and Repair, didn't even bother to call them; just sent it in with the $5 and a detailed note. A week later, the knife was sent back in perfect working condition, along with my $5. I call that A+ service ;)
Outpost76

Post by Outpost76 »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:42 pm
Hi Outpost,

Welcome to our forum. Sorry for your frustration.

I believe Charlynn in customer service is sending out a call tag to get the piece back from you.

sal
I spoke with her earlier and have already sent the knife back to her. I didn't ask for a return label, I sent it back myself in hopes of expediting the process. I don't care what Bento Box puts out in the future, they won't get money from me again. Thanks for your time, I do appreciate it.
sal

Post by sal »

We'l take care of you one way or another.

sal