Can't believe the BBS M390 Para 3 I received even left the factory

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Re: Can't believe the BBS M390 Para 3 I received even left the factory

Post by Donut »

Welcome to the forum. Please enjoy your stay.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
timlara

Post by timlara »

I don't really have a horse in the race either way, but it sounds like maybe I've just been lucky in that everything I've purchased from BBS has been in perfect condition. The Domino sprint I got from them in particular is one of the nicest knives I own. Sure, they gouge on pricing and shipping, but they're often still the best option for sprints or disco'd models that I was late to the party on, compared to the much more extreme gouging seen on eBay, etc.

I guess I always just assumed that since BBS doesn't take returns, it meant that they inspect every single knife they sell to make sure it's flawless before shipping it...but if they're NOT doing that, then it's a pretty sketchy policy, imo.

I admit I do not accept returns when I'm selling as a hobbyist on eBay, but I am always extremely detailed in my auction listings, so either I absolutely know the item I'm selling is mint condition, or if it isn't, I'm very clear about any flaws. If BBS isn't ensuring that they're selling perfect knives, then that's pretty lame to refuse returns/exchanges.
Tim
ratickle

Post by ratickle »

I know this thread is old, but I can't resist adding my two cents. If I got a defective knife from a vendor, I would NOT trust the vendor to repair it. I would much rather send it back to Spyderco who has all the parts and all the knowledge, even if I have to pay shipping.
husq2100

Post by husq2100 »

It was stated that Bento Box, does not take ANY returns or exchanges for ANY reason. If this is true, it would be illegal in Australia under our consumer laws. I know it doesnt help the OP.
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

ratickle wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:08 pm
I know this thread is old, but I can't resist adding my two cents. If I got a defective knife from a vendor, I would NOT trust the vendor to repair it. I would much rather send it back to Spyderco who has all the parts and all the knowledge, even if I have to pay shipping.
Why would you think the vendor would repair the knife? Any reputable vendor would take the defective knife back, and exchange it for a new knife that they've checked to be free from defects. The vendor would then send the defective knife back to the manufacturer to be likewise replaced or the wholesale cost credited to their account.

Interesting side note, in the firearms world, the manufacturers used to have some dealers with qualified gunsmiths set up as service centers. The servicing dealers were kept supplied with common basic parts and reimbursed for repairs they performed. Glock and a handful of other manufacturers still offer armorer certification courses to some dealers through their distribution channels.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Wow great job Sal. As a Bento customer after reading this I will avoid them like the plague. I know for certain they sell on ebay probably show short stock to pump prices, they sound crooked enough.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I'm going to be short on cash for while due to some unexpected and large Vet bills. There are about 4 Spydies that I am going to miss out on because of this. It's nice to know I will be able to get some of them from BentoBoxShop eventually when I have cash again. I've bought a few knives from them and had no problems. They are expensive (which means they have rare knives in stock) and don't take returns (which means you never have to worry about getting a knife someone played around with and sent back). One mans minus is another's plus.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Sorry but those kind of policies are a no go. Have to disagree 100%
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Plenty of opinions to go around.
FWIW, most expensive consumer products purchased at retail (appliances, computer parts, cameras) have large notices inside the box specifically asking you not to return the product to the retailer.
Consumer protection laws make it impossible to enforce that requirements, but just because it protects consumers from lemons doesn't mean it's best for everyone. The system is ripe for abuse.
Product return in the retail chain is a *nightmare.*

Certainly we as collectors/enthusiasts are used to dealing with some dealers who go above and beyond their duties by checking product before sending it out, but that's incredibly rare in retail.

I'm not saying BBS is admirable or anything; their justification is almost purely selfish. (It does benefit us to have their capital fronting exclusive runs, so I'm not sad they're around, but I understand the resentment.) But I do think it's important to realize that small retailers are people too, and if there's a problem with QC Spyderco is the company that will fix the problem.

Maybe a different retailer would have caught this problem before it went out the door, but with Amazon sellers under-bidding the dealer price on popular models that's certainly not going to be the norm.
Slash

Post by Slash »

While it's not the fault of bbs, they should change their policy if not for anything other than buyer confidence in purchasing from them. When that blue para 2 came out years ago I actually considered getting one. But, after reading the no return policy and factoring in what they were charging for it I decided I really didn't care for blue all that much. Plenty of other blades and retailers to choose from that I know will accept returns.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Because Spyderco Rocks!
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

I wouldn't buy from BBS no matter how much I wanted the knife. People always stick up for this crappy company on this forum and it's just garbage. Awful prices, awful customer service if and when you call, insane/ non competitive shipping costs. "But they are real good folk at BBS" What are you talking about, no they are not. "Good people" sell products at competitive prices and stand behind what they sell. BBS does not do that and we all know it.

I can list 5+ 100% top notch knife sellers that do an outstanding job backing what they sell, have fair prices, and understand the concept of customer service.
What's the point of giving BBS your money? I sure as heck can't think of one.

End rant.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Did this guy ever get his knife back?

Sure was quick to call it out but didn't follow up after.
Xander3Zero

Post by Xander3Zero »

Why does Spyderco even allow BBS to be one of their distributors?
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

Whether Bento Box did or did not do this or that, they are responsible for the tone of this thread, and the many other rant threads, just visit their site and see how you feel.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Whether Bento Box did or did not do this or that, they are responsible for the tone of this thread, and the many other rant threads, just visit their site and see how you feel.
Unless they posted in this thread they can not be responsible. This thread was begun by a guy who started by essentially complaining that Spyderco W&R didn't grovel enough in supplication. Getting the knife fixed was not the true purpose of his/her post. It's only due to the quality of the posters here it didn't become a ***** fest snipe at each other thread like it would at the other forum.

Not everyone dislikes Bento Box. Are you going to tell them they are wrong? :)

Joe
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:00 am
Unless they posted in this thread they can not be responsible. This thread was begun by a guy who started by essentially complaining that Spyderco W&R didn't grovel enough in supplication. Getting the knife fixed was not the true purpose of his/her post. It's only due to the quality of the posters here it didn't become a ***** fest snipe at each other thread like it would at the other forum.

Not everyone dislikes Bento Box. Are you going to tell them they are wrong? :)

Joe
All I'm saying is there are a lot of folk who will support most other vendors before they do BBS. Their website has no phone or address for starters.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

All I'm saying is there are a lot of folk who will support most other vendors before they do BBS. Their website has no phone or address for starters.
I can't disagree with that. I've bought from them once but they have repeat customers here and I wouldn't try to tell them what their own best interests are. They do have items in stock that can only be bought on ebay on the secondary market at whatever price the auction ends up at. I usually prefer to try my luck n Ebay but I won't argue with someone that doesn't.

Joe
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I refuse to buy from bbs but everyone is entitled to spend their money as they choose.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Crux

Post by Crux »

I don't think knife vendos actually open the boxes and muck with the knives. I've got plenty from Bento Box with no problems.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek: