Spyderco’s Polestar & Alcyone should not be in the “VALUE LINEUP”

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JaseRicco

Re: Spyderco’s Polestar & Alcyone should not be in the “VALUE LINEUP”

Post by JaseRicco »

sal wrote:And you planned to return it after you messed with it?

sal
I don’t consider loosening or tightening the pivot screw messing with a knife. I believe this is a very normal action to take to get the type of smooth knife action one prefers. If the knife is sent to me so stiff that it can barely be opened and I have no way to adjust, then what are my options to see if the knife is something that I want to keep? I did not disassemble or mess wit any the internal parts of the knife.

However, if you are talking about sharpening the knife, others have made your same point, which I have agreed with.
Last edited by JaseRicco on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Spydergirl88 wrote:and you sharpened it? that's a used knife now bro nobody wants your used knife
Right
Last edited by JaseRicco on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Nate wrote:I had a Persistence that became really tight. The problem turned out to be that a burr from one of the screw holes around the pivot broke off and got wedged in there. You may just be able to flush it out with hot, soapy water, dry, and lube to resolve.

You may want to check out the new stickied discussion Sal just started, "Taking Apart Knives" as well. It doesn't sounds like you've fully disassembled the knife, but returning it to the dealer after you've sharpened it and messed with the pivot may not be the best course of action.

*Sal beat me to it.*
Point taken. It didnt even dawn on me as I was writing this that I sharpened and was thinking of returning, though it would have eventually. I was so focused on putting my thoughts together. Thank you for the respectful way you made your point.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
djrbas

Post by djrbas »

My Alcyone came about two weeks ago and initially mine was very stiff also, very hard to both open and close. I didn't adjust anything, but I washed it thoroughly and applied a little oil. That made it better but it was still stiff. After carrying for a week, opening and closing it many times it started to break in nicely and now opens as smoothly as any Spyderco I own, so definitely give it a little more time.

Like Bill1170 mentioned, a lot of knives require a break in, this isn't my 1st Spyderco that came stiff, but I've never had to adjust any of them. At most, I've done the clean and oil, but usually I don't even have to do that, it just takes a little time to break in.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

djrbas wrote:My Alcyone came about two weeks ago and initially mine was very stiff also, very hard to both open and close. I didn't adjust anything, but I washed it thoroughly and applied a little oil. That made it better but it was still stiff. After carrying for a week, opening and closing it many times it started to break in nicely and now opens as smoothly as any Spyderco I own, so definitely give it a little more time.

Like Bill1170 mentioned, a lot of knives require a break in, this isn't my 1st Spyderco that came stiff, but I've never had to adjust any of them. At most, I've done the clean and oil, but usually I don't even have to do that, it just takes a little time to break in.
Awesome to hear. If I may ask, how do you wash a knife thoroughly without disassembling and drying thoroughly so that it wont rust? Just run it under the sink and air dry?

And how do you like the Alcyone so far? Other than the stiffness, it really is a nice knife overall...IMO
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

as said by others, it is widely accepted that OHO knives often need a breaking in period. :spyder:

Be it on washers, bearing pivots, any mechanism really usually implies there needs to be some action before finally operating smoothly and getting over the initial wear of the friction points.

Hopefully this will solve that issue for you. :cool:

As for washing, I use (and many recommend) very hot water so that it evaporates quickly once it's gone through the knife, and in addition I use a towel, paper and/or Q-tips if there's any very stubborn part of the knife hard to access. ;)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

canned air will dry an assembled knife that's what I use
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
djrbas

Post by djrbas »

I just use hot soapy water and dry it really well.

I actually like the Alcyone a lot. I'm coming from a different direction though, This is the first chinese Spyderco I've purchased making it the first in the "value/budget" line that I have tried. I think it stacks up really nicely both in design and fit and finish against some of the more expensive models.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

My new Polestar is fine. Smooth opening and closing. Solid lock up. The G10 is nothing like that on the Efficient or Tenacious. It is nicely finished and the surface texture is grippy but not as aggressive as those others. The steel is different and perhaps better. Time will tell. The ergonomics are more attuned to the hand and cutting tasks in my opinion.

I believe it will become more smooth in operation as I use it and properly lubricate it as required. However, if it develops any issues that I think are inherent in the knife’s materials or construction, it will go back to SFO for an evaluation. I won’t be taking it apart or tweaking it. It would certainly be worth a large cappuccino to have it evaluated and repaired by qualified people. Part of the deal.

I have to agree, if you have sharpened and tweaked on the knife, it’s not new. It’s yours and returning it for a refund would be wrong.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Hey JaseRicco, since you've already adjusted the pivot anyway, your best chance of eliminating any debris from the pivot area without disassembling is to loosen the pivot to where there is plenty of space then wash it out with high pressure soap and water. Oil and tighten. As Nate said, there could also be a burr in there that will wear itself down with time or you could disassemble and go at it with some high grit paper if you're feeling frisky. First things first though. Clean, lube and tighten and give it some time and use.
Paracelsus

Post by Paracelsus »

JaseRicco wrote:And how do you like the Alcyone so far? Other than the stiffness, it really is a nice knife overall...IMO
I think your knife will break in just fine with cleaning, lube, and cycling. Hope you enjoy it.

I'm glad to see that this thread seems to be selling some Polestars and Alcyones, it would be a shame to see these great designs languish.
I'd buy one or the other if I didn't have a Raven 2, and I think they fill a valuable niche in the Spyderco lineup.
Sal can put out a great product at any price point; Spyderco truly is the People's Knife.

I'd like to see more of that translucent "denim" G10, it's really attractive.
I see there's a Tenacious with the same stuff in red, which also looks very good.
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

There was a note in the box with your new knife explaining that the stiff pivot would wear in and the action would smooth up if you just gave it a little time - right?

Spyderco take responsibility for the problems you create....

David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Canazes9 wrote:There was a note in the box with your new knife explaining that the stiff pivot would wear in and the action would smooth up if you just gave it a little time - right?

David
No, the note said to return it and if it’s a warranty issue they will fix it for you.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Canazes9 wrote:There was a note in the box with your new knife explaining that the stiff pivot would wear in and the action would smooth up if you just gave it a little time - right?

David
No, the note said to return it and if it’s a warranty issue they will fix it for you.
It's amusing that you think that's going to result in a solution. Knife gets returned, Spyderco examines, finds everything within specification and returns to owner. Net result? New knife gone for a month, $20 missing from your bank account for a $65 ish knife and knife still functions exactly as it did when you received it.

That's a recipe for success.

David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It is difficult to hold a reasonable discussion with you. You make many ad hoc assumptions then proceed as if they were fact.

Your assumption here is that the owner perceived an issue with a new knife. Assumption: issue exists.
Spyderco did not and returned the knife as received. Assumption: Spyderco is wrong about perceived issue.
Owner is out $20. Assumption: Owner must pay for warranty work.

FYI, here are the relevant terms:
If we determine there is a defect in the manufacture, materials, or workmanship of your Spyderco product, Spyderco, Inc. will repair or exchange that product with the same or similar model or one of equal value. The value of the product will be based on the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, as published by Spyderco, Inc.
✓ If the problem with a returned product is determined to be caused by reasons other than a defect in manufacture, materials, or workmanship, Spyderco, Inc. will determine whether the product can be repaired and provide a free estimate of the repair service cost. Upon authorization and receipt of payment for the repair and return shipping of the product, we will perform the repair.
✓ Spyderco offers a variety of sharpening and repair services. Depending on the repairs necessary to restore the function of your knife, a fee may be required. Our fees for the most common types of repairs are as follows:
(Some repair services will in fact cost you $20. Repairs aren’t free.)

I understand that you will find ways to object to this, but that’s ok. It’s a discussion. However, I think I will withdraw from it since it hasn’t been directed at understanding or learning and it appears to me that your underlying assumption is that Spyderco is out to screw with their customers. I do not agree.

Regards,

Team Innovation
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Canazes,

I appears that you do not like our company, our products, our policies or me. Why are you here? We try to enjoy our time on the forums. You just like stirring sh*t or what?

sal
Surfingringo

Re: Spyderco’s Polestar & Alcyone Both OVERPRICED

Post by Surfingringo »

My Polestar is in transit and I am very eager to get my hands on it. I will be arriving in the US next Wednesday and it should be there waiting on me. I ordered a polestar and a lil subhilt but honestly, I am more excited about the Polestar as I think it is far more likely to be a knife that I will love to carry and use. The quote below is what sold me on trying the model.
sal wrote: The Polestar is a mini Military model with all of the some features (less the finger choil, giving better edge/handle interface)
*I will probably grind the spine flat on day 1 to make mine even more Millie-like. ;)

As far as the Steel choice, I am perfectly happy with bd1 or 8cr13mov. I would readily choose either one of them over s90v or s110v for an edc folder that I planned to carry and use. My everyday folders don’t see tons of hard use and I like carrying knives at peak sharpness so I will touch up the edge of any steel every couple of days on the Sharpmaker. Given my use and sharpening protocol, steels like s110v offer far more disadvantages than advantages. I know I sound like a weirdo admitting those opinions around here but that’s alright. I like what I like. :)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Lance,

Let us know what you think?

sal
T_MAC686

Post by T_MAC686 »

sal wrote:Hi Canazes,

I appears that you do not like our company, our products, our policies or me. Why are you here? We try to enjoy our time on the forums. You just like stirring sh*t or what?

sal
+1
Seriously, I don't understand the number of people that hold accounts here and post in forums just to bash on Spyderco.. If I don't like something, I don't frequent forums to just talk about how much I don't like it.. Doesn't make sense to me...
MichaelScott

Re: Spyderco’s Polestar & Alcyone Both OVERPRICED

Post by MichaelScott »

Surfingringo wrote:My Polestar is in transit and I am very eager to get my hands on it. I will be arriving in the US next Wednesday and it should be there waiting on me. I ordered a polestar and a lil subhilt but honestly, I am more excited about the Polestar as I think it is far more likely to be a knife that I will love to carry and use. The quote below is what sold me on trying the model.
sal wrote: The Polestar is a mini Military model with all of the some features (less the finger choil, giving better edge/handle interface)
*I will probably grind the spine flat on day 1 to make mine even more Millie-like. ;)

As far as the Steel choice, I am perfectly happy with bd1 or 8cr13mov. I would readily choose either one of them over s90v or s110v for an edc folder that I planned to carry and use. My everyday folders don’t see tons of hard use and I like carrying knives at peak sharpness so I will touch up the edge of any steel every couple of days on the Sharpmaker. Given my use and sharpening protocol, steels like s110v offer far more disadvantages than advantages. I know I sound like a weirdo admitting those opinions around here but that’s alright. I like what I like. :)
I’ve been carrying mine around constantly. Took it to work yesterday. Certainly not too big or intimidating (of course I live in southern Colorado where seeing someone in the local market with a 7” sheath knife on their belt raises no eyebrows). I haven’t cut anything tougher than my French country loaf, but it sliced off pieces better than my Spydie edge bread knife. And, it just fits my hand like it was designed for it. I put a comparison photo up highlighting some differences from the Tenacious to better understand what I feel tactically.

I have no experience with the more complex steels like S110v and the like but I am quite happy with the 8cr13mov, VG10 and this BD1 on the Polestar. I can get them pretty sharp, they cut like lasers and they are not a pain to sharpen.

Let us know what you think about your Polestar.

Team Innovation