The Tactical Bottle Opener: Spyderco ClipiTool Standard

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Re: At Last, A Tactical Bottle Opener

Post by MichaelScott »

Ah… San Miguel. I drank a lot of that in the P.I. in the 60s. Good to know they make a Pilsener. maybe when i get to the big city liquor store.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
npad69

Post by npad69 »

were you in the military michael?
jacala

Post by jacala »

I’m currently sitting on my verandah/sundeck testing my Tactical Bottle Opener on multiple bottles of Corona.
I think this particular bottle opener could be mmmmaking mmme drunk ?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

npad69 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:57 pm
Yes. US Navy for eight years. My destroyer was in and out of the Philippines for a year. I usually drew Shore Patrol in Olongapo. Crazy times but I really liked PI when I wasn’t on duty. Love to return some day.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:30 pm
Ah… San Miguel. I drank a lot of that in the P.I. in the 60s. Good to know they make a Pilsener. maybe when i get to the big city liquor store.

San Miguel is king here in Spain, super popular and all-present :D
They also have a prize or two in the "TV Advertisement of The Year" awards, they make excellent ads that go viral every Summer :cool:

PS: Thank you for your service, even though I'm not from the US it's always a pleasure to meet servicemen, wherever it is that they did their service :spyder:
npad69

Post by npad69 »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:20 am
npad69 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:57 pm
Yes. US Navy for eight years. My destroyer was in and out of the Philippines for a year. I usually drew Shore Patrol in Olongapo. Crazy times but I really liked PI when I wasn’t on duty. Love to return some day.
so nice to know you've been here in my country. my uncle joined the USN too somewhere in the 70s when there was some kind of servicemen recruitment for locals. you should return though, over 7000 reasons why you really should!
npad69

Post by npad69 »

ThePeacent wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:30 am
San Miguel is king here in Spain, super popular and all-present :D
They also have a prize or two in the "TV Advertisement of The Year" awards, they make excellent ads that go viral every Summer :cool:

PS: Thank you for your service, even though I'm not from the US it's always a pleasure to meet servicemen, wherever it is that they did their service :spyder:
hi TP, all i know is that our country was colonized by spain for over 300 years and you can really find a lot of spanish influence in our culture. almost half of our local language and vocabulary too has spanish roots but i never expected SMB to be quite popular there. nowadays we have about half a dozen varieties of SMB but the ones i only drink are: the regular pilsen, the premium and the superdry.

spain is in my places-to-visit-before-i-die list. hope to get to see spain and a few parts of europe in this lifetime.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

You will like Spain. I was fortunate to have lived there (Andalucia) for two years. I really hope to return if I can. Me otro pais.

Team Innovation
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

you two, whenever you come here feel free to PM me for whatever answer ir help I can provide ;)
We have Corona beer too, very popular and affordable for all

your two countries are also in my list to visit someday :spyder:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thank you for you invitation! I will certainly do that. I have a goal to walk the Camino de Santiago before I die. If I get healthy enough and save enough I will do that. Probably take two months at my speed. We can have a cerveza along the way. Let me know if you come here. I’ll treat to some Colorado IPA.

Team Innovation
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

In 1971, I had the pleasure of briefly visiting Barcelona
and indulging in the obligatory paella and sangria.

Do you favor independence for Catalonia, my friend?
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

There are only II kinds of people.
Those who understand Roman Numerals and those who do not.

So in 1897, to celebrate 1900, the turn of the century, a German immigrant to Mexico, Wilhelm Haase, created Siglo XX which translates to Twentieth Century. The Siglo was dropped leaving XX, much catchier than MCM for 1900. Did any brewery rush to trademark MM for the year 2000 ? The only one I could find was in Bulgaria. Oh well. Salud !

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard and Dos Equis

(My other XX picture was Dos Equis Amber, first imported to the U.S. in 1973.)
Last edited by Mad Mac on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

There are two kinds of people, those who can extrapolate from incomplete information.

Team Innovation
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

to answer you both,

Michael, I also plan to do the Santiago someday. Many of my best friends have done it partially or in its entirety and all came back with nice stories and memories to tell :rolleyes:
Most places to rest/sleep on the way provide good Spanish food and a variety of drinks, beers being a welcome beverage after a walking day :cool:

Mad Mac, back then I wasn't even in this planet and many things have changed almost half a century (especially in the '92 Olympics) but Paella and Sangria are still everyday dishes and iconic things for us, part of our daily culture and lives :)
The "Tortilla", croquetas and "Amanida catalana" are also nice treats here :p

In the beginning I was not really bent over Independence nor did I seek or defend it with enthusiasm and diligence.
But, after these last years' events, and the way we've been treated in our last attempts at expressing our feelings, have made me sympathise more with this idea.
Now I can better understand why so many pursue a better and more fair, just status as a country or community with its own very different and particular history, people and traditions :spyder:

I'm not active politically (I still refrain from voting) but I'm not just careless and nonchalant about the future and present of our peculiar corner in this country

Hopefully with my bad English I still made my point understandable :o
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Sorry. Double post.
Last edited by MichaelScott on Sun May 20, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yes, you have and thanks for letting us know.

Ahhh, tortilla española. I still make it. It’s great with some Jerez seco (dry Sherry).

Team Innovation
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

My friend, your english is fresh, vigorous and claro. There is something to be said for what some refer to as petty nationalism or tribalism. It has been forty-seven years since I was stationed in Europe, and I fear that if I returned now it would be unrecognizable. But enough of that.

Not to trivialize the El Camino de Santiago, but the movie The Way in 2010 with Martin Sheen was how I first learned of it. Not so much about the pilgrimage perhaps as it is about fathers and sons, but worth watching in my opinion.
Some1

Post by Some1 »

Tarragona and Seville are beautiful. I'd still like to visit Cyprus.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I came across San Miguel Negra only last year, whilst waiting for the Santander>UK ferry, but we don’t see it in the UK. We’re back to the Picos de Europa on the motorcycles again, in a few weeks, and I’m looking forward to reacquainting myself!

The Camino appeals to me, also, and there’s usually a few tanned and footsore pilgrims on that same crossing.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

It's always nice to see so many cultures, countries and opinions in one single place. That's why I love the Internet forums! :)

We have a beautiful country, and Europe in general is a great place to visit, but I also plan to visit the US and Cyprus like my parents did before I was born. My sister was born in the UK and I also wish to go there some day. :rolleyes:
They have very nice memories from those places.

Luckily for us nowadays it's easier than ever to travel all around the world and we can talk to the people we meet in out trips 24/7 thanks to the Internet. ;)

All those of you who decide to ever come here, to hike, walk the Camino, visit the cities or just have a nice vacation I just recommend you to leave your Spydies at home :(

It's sad but true that today they cause more problems and bad impressions than ever when used in public, and can get you in trouble (especially in a crowded area or an airport!)

Get an Opinel or SAK if you don't want to be knifeless when here! :D