The Tactical Bottle Opener: Spyderco ClipiTool Standard

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: The Tactical Bottle Opener: Spyderco ClipiTool Standard

Post by Mad Mac »

In case you are wondering, it was my relentless search for a tactical bottle opener that drew me back into the Spyder Hole after a 24 year hiatus. In desperation, I had made my own by violating the elliptical opening hole of a cheap Maxxam with an angle grinder, which I posted on this forum in 2015.

Because of that, I learned of the first Spyderco ClipiTool. A diminutive bottle opener and not a tactical knife, but definitely a classy little gem which caused many bottles to surrender their precious contents. So it is with great satisfaction that I can now wield the new ClipiTool Standard.

Thank you again, Eric.

Cheers!
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

A rich lager from Grupo Modelo. Salud!

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard and Corona Familiar
Last edited by Mad Mac on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

In 2016, Corona Extra surpassed Coors Light to become the tenth most popular beer in the world.
Break out the sea salt and cut up some limes. (They do have great TV commercials.)

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard and Corona Extra
Last edited by Mad Mac on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crux

Re: At Last, A Tactical Bottle Opener

Post by Crux »

Daveho wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:18 pm
I just watched the shot show thing on YouTube and saw this and it kinda got me wondering... are cans with pull tabs and bottles with twist tops not a thing in the US?
There seems to be very strong following for bottle/can opening capabilities being a high priority, I clearly don’t get it but I will say I’m loving that blade profile, The thin long blade looks amazing!
Very interested to see future configurations.
Sure we have twist off, but not beer. Or at least most beer. :)
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Crux wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:12 pm
Daveho wrote:
I just watched the shot show thing on YouTube and saw this and it kinda got me wondering... are cans with pull tabs and bottles with twist tops not a thing in the US?
There seems to be very strong following for bottle/can opening capabilities being a high priority, I clearly don’t get it but I will say I’m loving that blade profile, The thin long blade looks amazing!
Seems like it would slow down your drinking-
Sure you can have guns but is that true freedom?
Crux

Post by Crux »

Daveho wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:16 pm
Crux wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:12 pm
Daveho wrote:
Seems like it would slow down your drinking-
Sure you can have guns but is that true freedom?
Sure it does but that keeps up from getting as smashed as the Aussies. True freedom comes from a Syderco Para 3 or Paramilitary 2 or Manix or.........
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Brewed in Mazatlan on the Pacific coast.

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard and Pacifico Clara
Last edited by Mad Mac on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markg

Post by markg »

Daveho wrote:
There are beer bottles that are not twist off, and some cans still require an opener...

For me where it shines is if you are traveling in a developing country and the only thing safe to drink is a Fanta (in a bottle with a cap) and any can you encounter will require an opener.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

markg wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:58 pm
Daveho wrote:
There are beer bottles that are not twist off, and some cans still require an opener...

For me where it shines is if you are traveling in a developing country and the only thing safe to drink is a Fanta (in a bottle with a cap) and any can you encounter will require an opener.
That totally brings back memories of traveling japan and having many a different flavour of Fanta.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

My palate is not very refined. I'm not a beer snob. But Heineken is special -- in my memory.

It was the summer of 1969. I had graduated from Texas A&M and been commissioned as an officer in May but would not go on active duty until September. With three months to kill, I took a job as a line boy at Andrau Airpark in Houston, my new bride's hometown. While I was a student at A&M, one of my three part time jobs was at Easterwood Airport, so I had experience.

Still, it was like the book, Captains Courageous. My coworkers were career "line boys" with little education and no prospects while I was a college boy on a lark, slumming it. They taught me a lot about the work ethic, life and... but I digress.

One day, they uncharacteristically leaped swiftly into action with purpose. A curt "come on" and away we sped at maximum velocity hanging on to the tug toward the Baroid hangar. A brilliant blue and red DC3 pivoted around glistening in the afternoon sun, port engine propeller reaching a fluttering crescendo and reluctantly becoming silent in a shrieking gasp. The tail was expertly aimed at the gaping maw of the hangar.

Not as stylish or fast as the squatty Lear jets and arrogant Gulfstreams in the other hangars, the big, vintage DC3 sat tilting upward, facing the sky, proud, ready to go again.

Hector, our supervisor, exchanged pleasantries with the pilot as the passengers, flushed with the booze and excitement of a white wing hunting trip to Mexico, shuffled to their limousines. The pilot had confided something to Hector we could not hear.

To my surprise, Hector motioned us up into the comfortable cabin, something we never did, and opened a refrigerator stocked with cold Heineken. We limited ourselves to one, drinking on the job as it were, then hooked up the tail wheel and tugged the grand lady into her hangar.

So, whenever I have a Heineken, I slip back about 50 years and remember a time in the sun when I did actual work that mattered, with honest men.

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard with Heineken
Last edited by Mad Mac on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markg

Post by markg »

Daveho wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:58 pm
markg wrote:
Daveho wrote:

That totally brings back memories of traveling japan and having many a different flavour of Fanta.
2011 I had peach Fanta for the first time in Japan. I have seen it here since, but I gotta say it was pretty good.

However it was in a plastic bottle with a twist off cap. :D
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

markg wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:46 pm
Daveho wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:58 pm
markg wrote:
Daveho wrote:

2011 I had peach Fanta for the first time in Japan. I have seen it here since, but I gotta say it was pretty good.

However it was in a plastic bottle with a twist off cap. :D
IIRC in Thailand strawberry Fanta is left around the place as an offering to friendly spirits
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Coors has reintroduced the stubby bottle, although I doubt it had a twist off cap in 1936. The original Coors brewery in Golden is now the largest brewery in the world. Not all of Texas was in the distribution area until about 1976. Before then, Coors bootlegged to Houston was a real treat. After it gained national distribution, somehow, it was never as good. Kind of like marital sex.

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard and Coors Banquet Beer
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cY5G3SgiqLNjCgPDA
Last edited by Mad Mac on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Mountain Ale is brewed from fruit and has no resemblance to beer or ale.
Do not buy this unless you like Fresca.

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard and Small Town Brewery Not Your Father's Mountain Ale
https://photos.app.goo.gl/23KJ1aSBiUf4E8vd9
Last edited by Mad Mac on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

You may have heard of a Guinness Float. Well, this is a Texas Float.
Shiner Bock and Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream.
A summertime treat. Don't knock it till you try it.

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard and a Texas Float
Last edited by Mad Mac on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I, a fellow small-town Texan, also support the Spyderco Clipitool Standard and it's endless pursuit of beer :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

That's the spirit.
benben

Post by benben »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:26 am
Mountain Ale is brewed from fruit and has no resemblance to beer or ale.
Do not buy this unless you like Fresca.

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard and Small Town Brewery Not Your Father's Mountain Ale
https://photos.app.goo.gl/23KJ1aSBiUf4E8vd9
Trying to remember the last time I heard the word Fresca?? :D
npad69

Post by npad69 »

When one of my best buddies suddenly dropped by and brought some beer while introducing his new fiance! (Yep she just said 'YES')
Good thing I have those pesky crown-capped bottle problem sorted out.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Congratulations to your friend and best wishes to his fiance.
Well done, Sir.