The Tactical Bottle Opener: Spyderco ClipiTool Standard

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: The Tactical Bottle Opener: Spyderco ClipiTool Standard

Post by Mad Mac »

Thanks for the compliment and the invite, but I have quit riding... three times.
This time I think it's going to stick.
You know what they say. When you age you cage.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

These pics may not be very useful as my hands are small, chubby and old with short little fingers. That qualifier being provided, in general, the ClipiTool Standard fits me well and "falls to hand".

Jimping on a finger choil and the Spyder hole hump allows the index finger and thumb to safely ride up higher on the blade for close work.

Three fingers fit comfortably over the curved scales between the humps of the closed bottle opener and can opener.

A grip for most cutting chores uses the hump of the can opener for a quasi quillon/finger groove of sorts.

Sharp finger grip.

Reverse grip.

Hope these are helpful.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

In case you are wondering, I own a Schrade Old Timer Sharp Finger inherited from my grandfather.
Here is a 1974 ad showing the index finger grip. I told you I was old.
As seen on a thread by Codger_64 on Blade Forums.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/cha ... r.1156816/
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Tasty seasonal Belgian-style witbier available through February. Must get some more.

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard and Saint Arnold White Noise
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Pictures in hand continued: The 3-inch blade is deployed in the usual manner. The center liner lock has an ample access relief in the scale and is easily unlocked.

Generous reliefs scalloped into the scales provide easy access to the opening holes for the cap lifter and can opener. The slip joints offer some resistance. If you have small, weak hands like I do, thumb them open part way with the opening hole and then finish off by thumbing under the hook. Note the jimping.

The can opener can be thumbed open left handed. Be careful to avoid the sharp, can-cutting edge.

The lines of the ClipiTool Standard may be off putting to some, but at times form has to surrender to function. Eric achieved a very pleasant compromise, in my view. Cheers!

Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Dobbelkorked! Where is my clipitool with a corkskrew.
Amazing lambic.
Attachments
1548527023627794.jpg
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Imperial IPA,
10 abv
100 IBU
23.5 ° plato
20 EBC
Nelson sauvin up the wazoo.
Great IPA, a bit heavy on the alcohol for a sunday but
I deserve it after shoveling snow all day.
:)
1548600804488247.jpg
James Dean
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

ferider wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:40 am
While I'm patiently waiting for a ClipiTool with an M390 or S90V blade, I'll use this:

Cheers,

Roland.
That’s pretty neat but doesn’t it dig into your hand in use?
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Mom3ntuM wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:02 am
...23.5 ° plato... ...20 EBC... ...Nelson sauvin
That is one stiff brew. Thank you for your contribution to the thread, Sir. But it drove me to Google to educate myself. I was totally unfamiliar with Plato, EBC and Nelson Sauvin.

Now you have introduced me to the Plato Gravity Scale, a measurement of the concentration of dissolved solids in a brewery wort https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/NpUFIRRVLp/, the Color Units EBC (European Brewery Convention) referring to the color of a beer measured in a technical manner and Nelson Sauvin hops, an extreme triploid variety from New Zealand https://store.bellsbeer.com/products/ne ... oz-pellets. Even the snobbish Malt of the Month Club does not include this type of information in their monthly newsletter, save for some malts and hops.

Looking forward to more posts from you and the other readers following this thread. With more than 40,000 views, I know you are out there. One or two are bound to have acquired a ClipiTool Standard. Show it with your favorite beers, local, craft or micro-brewed.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

I threw in the plato and EBC for fun,, but i really like to know the abv, IBU (especially in ipa's) and what hops where used..
I'm a little damaged from years of brewing.
:)
James Dean
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

My son gave me a home brewing kit. It recommended a minimum of two weeks or more to ferment and another two weeks of bottle conditioning. After one batch, I determined that my lack of patience was only exceeded by my lack of determination. More power to you.
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

It's not for everyone. It takes a lot of time, that's why i rarely do it anymore..
Those kits can be ok i guess, but it's nothing like allgrain.
I brew(ed) allgrain and use kegs, so I ferment for about 2 weeks, but can drink it after a couple of days carbonation.
It probably makes more sense to brew here in Norway where we have insane prices on craft beer..
Beer i would use 1$ per 500 ml to make, costs 10$ to buy.
These days I don't have the time to brew.. :(
James Dean
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Two captains dipa today.
8.5 abv
100ibu
18.3 plato
Ebc15
Columbus, simcoe and centennial, delicious
:p
1548783605899930.jpg
James Dean
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

You Vikings know your beers, but then, what else is there to do on those long winter nights in Norway. My DNA test showed me to be 20% Scandinavian, which could explain my frequent urges to pillage and plunder. We may be distant cousins.

Many Norwegian immigrants, about 25% of all the ones in the United States, were attracted to wintry Wisconsin. They must have brought their craft beer making skills with them as represented by this offering from O'so Brewing Company in Plover, WI.

Skol!

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard and O'so Hop Whoopin'
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

Hop whoopin
7 abv
90 ibu
Summit and zeus (American hops) :p

The vikings where a bunch of savage drunks.
Altough we say we are proud to be vikings it's nothing to be proud of. They sailed to other countries to plunder and rape. One can only imagine the suffering they left behind.
1548954367417766.jpg
Skål!
James Dean
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Embrace your heritage, my friend. The hot Norse blood flowing through the veins of Scotsmen enabled them to hold the Romans to Hadrian's Wall. It's not so important what happened in the past. It's what we do going forward that matters.
ferider

Post by ferider »

spyderg wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:49 am

Digs less into my hands than the compression lock, spyderg.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

ferider wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:20 pm
spyderg wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:49 am

Digs less into my hands than the compression lock, spyderg.
Maybe it’s my hand size and shape but I can’t seem to find a grip that the PM2 lock digs in in any way. I do find the handle a little cramped. You can see where my palm rests so as cool as that backspaced opener is I doubt I could use it. Too bad, it’d go nicely with my other caplifters.
30CBB1CE-4BE8-41EC-928E-8EC711BB5127.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
ferider

Post by ferider »

spyderg wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:04 am
Maybe it’s my hand size and shape but I can’t seem to find a grip that the PM2 lock digs in in any way. I do find the handle a little cramped. You can see where my palm rests so as cool as that backspaced opener is I doubt I could use it. Too bad, it’d go nicely with my other caplifters.
Hope the following explanation makes sense: take the grip in your first/left picture. Now sharpen a stick, cut some wood, whatever, high pressure on the blade will dig the PM2 lock into the web between my thumb and index finger. Which is why for practical work in house and yard, I prefer Manix, Military or other knives over the PM2. Converserly, the bottle opener / hand pressure reduces with more pressure on the blade.

Probably hand size/shape and working style related ... and I'm not trying to pitch the back-spacer .... in practice, I usually have 17mm wrench close by anyways, which can open beer bottles too :) (German joke, "17er Schlüssel" = bottle opener).
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Happy Super Bowl Sunday! Remember to drink responsibly
or at least make sure that you are the designated drinker.

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard and Ipswich Ale Brewery namesake Double IPA, Route 1A