The Respect

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

The Respect

Post by MacLaren »

I'm very excited to announce that I have pre-order'd the Respect!
Before SHOT 2018, I wasn't sure as to whether I would order one or not. That's because Spyderco has a mistake in their literature concerning the Respect. In the specs it states the knife is .300" or 6MM. That doesn't jibe. .300" thick would be between 7.5 and 8.0 MM. However, thanx to SHOT 2018, and Eric, for doing an interview. One of many I imagine, he stated the Respect was 7.5 or 8.0 MM. And, I got to see a shot of the spine in Eric's hand, and man oh man, it Is! This thing is a real brute!! And it's in CPM-154!!
This knife will be an amazing slicer imo. I have one knife in CPM-154, and it's prolly the sharpest knife I've had outta the box. Not to mention that Phil Wilson has stated that the best filet steel in his opinion is CPM-154.( Good Slicer!! ) ( atleast i rhink anyways! Lol) So, cannot wait to get a hold of this one.
Has anyone else put in an order for the Respect yet?
And, most importantly lol, does anyone have any idea when we may see them drop?
zhyla

Re: The Respect

Post by zhyla »

Nothing .300” thick is a good slicer by the normal meaning of slicing (e.g. slicing thru material deeper than the blade). Regardless of steel.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I really like the looks of the Respect, but I think my first Bowie is going to be the Ankerson. :)
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

zhyla wrote:Nothing .300” thick is a good slicer by the normal meaning of slicing (e.g. slicing thru material deeper than the blade). Regardless of steel.
Tell Eric Glesser that. He's the one that.said it was good slicer.
At any rate, to each their own lol....
I mean seriously man, anyone knows it's not going to be a good slicer by the norm. But for what it is, it will do pretty darn good.
Like Eric said, and you can tell that it will by looking at it imo.
Last edited by MacLaren on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TomAiello wrote:I really like the looks of the Respect, but I think my first Bowie is going to be the Ankerson. :)
I hear ya Tom. I'll pre order it too. :)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MacLaren wrote:
zhyla wrote:Nothing .300” thick is a good slicer by the normal meaning of slicing (e.g. slicing thru material deeper than the blade). Regardless of steel.
Tell Eric Glesser that. He's the one that.said it was good slicer.
At any rate, to each their own lol....
I mean seriously man, anyone knows it's not going to be a good slicer by the norm. But for what it is, it will do pretty darn good.
Like Eric said, and you can tell that it will by looking at it imo.

From what I saw in both videos and was looking carefully I think the Respect will be a good cutter. That blade design and geometry from what I saw in the videos is very good, from what I saw it's no joke.

Sal is no idiot and any knife he designs will do well within the intended use of the model.

And that comes from testing a lot of knives over the years.
Last edited by Ankerson on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

MacLaren wrote:anyone knows it's not going to be a good slicer by the norm.
No argument here. Did you really buy it to slice things? This seems more like a straight up collector's piece.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

It's a Sal Glesser design, and a big, impressive Bowie knife. Of course it's a collector's piece.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

zhyla wrote:
MacLaren wrote:anyone knows it's not going to be a good slicer by the norm.
No argument here. Did you really buy it to slice things? This seems more like a straight up collector's piece.
I think it is a fighter. Students of Bagwell and Keating should like it.

The Cold Steel Trailmaster is a thick Bowie too. A lot of big Bowies are very thick.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The Cold Steel Trailmaster is a thick Bowie too. A lot of big Bowies are very thick.
Yeah, Bowies should be thick. It's not a paring knife, it's not supposed to be an objectively superior slicer.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I have a 6mm spined Kukri that slices darn good and cuts like the Dickens. :rolleyes:

Much more things at play than just spine thickness...I trust Spyderco for grinds and geometry above al other companies! :spyder:
mpcgimli

Post by mpcgimli »

Sorry to ask again about the release date of a knife, but the wait is a bit excruciating! Is it probable that the Respect will arrive within the first half of the year?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

gotta budget something for this for sure!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
mpcgimli

Post by mpcgimli »

exactly!
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

The primary purpose for the Respect is to hold it up and say "Now THAT's a knife" in your best Crocodile Dundee voice.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

dj moonbat wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:26 am
The primary purpose for the Respect is to hold it up and say "Now THAT's a knife" in your best Crocodile Dundee voice.
Haha, yes! Classic line, and one of my favorites.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

.... wrong topic.

I just figured out that the Ankerson has not been renamed the respect. Sorry.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Slash

Post by Slash »

zhyla wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:28 pm
Nothing .300” thick is a good slicer by the normal meaning of slicing (e.g. slicing thru material deeper than the blade). Regardless of steel.
Bowie specifically and originally made as a fighting knife. So, giving the weight, (due to thickness) would perform as intended for slicing. So long as you're able to wield it properly.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Slash wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:44 am
zhyla wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:28 pm
Bowie specifically and originally made as a fighting knife. So, giving the weight, (due to thickness) would perform as intended for slicing. So long as you're able to wield it properly.
Not sure why we're necroing this thread but ok. I don't think the slicing discussion is really warranted. I'm sure it's a great, well designed and manufactured Bowie knife. OP is the one that brought up the dubiously relevant slicing performance of this knife.

I don't fully understand the purpose of $360 bowie knives except to collect and admire. That's not really my thing, but I understand why people collect expensive knives. I don't think anything but quality/fit/finish really matters for that purpose. This actually seems like a decent collector piece too -- I doubt they are making very many of them.

But then it confusingly has an ergonomic G-10 handle that really would benefit an outdoor user. I don't get it. And I'm aware that high end Bowie knives get extremely expensive ($500 and up), so a production Spyderco version is actually somewhat affordable. Is anyone actually buying this to drag around the woods and whack things with? Or cleaning animals?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'm waffling on this one. I want one, but I don't know if I can swing that much for a knife I probably won't use.

Who knows, I've bought crazier things!

Any word on a release?
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson