Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gundamaniac

Re: Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Post by gundamaniac »

A couple more pictures:

Comparison of blade thickness, Manix on top, Amalgam in middle, PM2 on bottom:
IMG_20180207_225351.jpg
Initial render:
Lai-SpyderFlipper_FinalRender-v9b-SpydercoCatalogStyle.jpg
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Thanks for the write up and pictures!

I'll be getting this knife when available.

David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Awesome pics! Can you take some measurements? handle length, blade thickness, etc.?

Thanks so much for enlightening us!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ekimox

Post by ekimox »

This is going into my pocket as soon as I can get one. Love the design. Looks like it'll be so comfortable in the hand and a knife that can stand up to some abuse.

Great work!
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Mako109 wrote:...
By the way, what state or country are you from?
Born and raised in California! :)
curlyhairedboy wrote:Awesome pics! Can you take some measurements? handle length, blade thickness, etc.?

Thanks so much for enlightening us!
Sure thing. Blade thickness is 1/8" at the ricasso with a length of 3 and 13/16" measured at the shortest distance from the end of the handle to the tip of the blade. Handle is 5 and 1/8" long and the same overall thickness as a Manix or PM2.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Thanks! Does the overall blade length differ from your prototype by much?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Nope, the blade length and overall dimensions are very close to my initial prototype.
The only obvious differences are:
Drop point instead of reverse tanto (which I don't mind, as I was working on a drop point version of the design)
Compression lock placement and cutout (I had it further back to dodge the flipper, but there likely wasn't enough leverage back there, and I had a milled relief in the nested scale border opposite the lock tab instead of a cutout in my design, but this probably didn't give enough access to the compression lock)
Extra screw in the back and a smaller lanyard tube, instead of a pressed in structural support lanyard tube

The pictures I posted last night show a comparison of my initial prototype and the production prototype.

Here's some better pictures than what I posted last night, of the production prototype by itself:
IMG_20180208_171712.jpg
IMG_20180208_175929.jpg
IMG_20180208_180057.jpg
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Dang. This thing just screams "use me!"
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Believe me, I am so tempted to just throw it in my pocket and start using the heck out of it. But as it stands, this still needs to look presentable. I'm hoping Wouter will take some nice pictures of it at the Amsterdam meet. Daddy needs a new computer wallpaper :D :D :D
hambone56rx

Post by hambone56rx »

Gundamaniac,

Congrats on the entire process! Really cool story! I love my Sliverax, and it still flips very well for me. One thing that looks like will lead to better flipping on the Amalgam is that the flipper tab is placed more in front of the pivot than what the Sliverax is. This should allow for a longer push and more force being applied for more reliable and enjoyable flipping. Is that the case? Was that design by you or Spyderco? Or am I just making that up?

Looks like they did that and really exaggerated it on the Smock as well. Almost looks like an Elijah Isham design on the Smock.

Thanks!
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Thanks hambone56rx! And nice observation ;)

Yes, the flipper geometry and location relative to the pivot was on the original design submission. This was indeed to try to achieve a better flipping action.

I would not be surprised if the flippers on the other designs were also designed that way for better flipping action. I'm just a guy who likes knives, and these guys are smart and experienced and really know what they're doing. I'd expect those knives to flip great as well.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Hopefully we see more pics at the Amsterdam meet up!
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Flipping action and compression lock manipulation for those who are concerned with these aspects of the knife. I'm right handed and am able to easily manipulate the lock with either hand. I can also easily open the knife with the flipper using either hand. The action is nice, good enough that I can break the blade open just past the ball detent and still flip it open against gravity with my weak hand :spyder:

https://youtu.be/ktF3aZqZlN4

Also, for those who may be interested in such things, here was my original (rejected) submission to Spyderco. I had forgotten that my first submission was also titled Amalgam. You can see the basic design elements were in place even back then, except it was designed around a liner lock:
20140507_020444.jpg
20140512_162012-02.jpg
Then it went on a diet and ended up like this, the accepted design:
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

gundamaniac wrote:Flipping action and compression lock manipulation for those who are concerned with these aspects of the knife. I'm right handed and am able to easily manipulate the lock with either hand. I can also easily open the knife with the flipper using either hand. The action is nice, good enough that I can break the blade open just past the ball detent and still flip it open against gravity with my weak hand :spyder:

Also, for those who may be interested in such things, here was my original (rejected) submission to Spyderco. I had forgotten that my first submission was also titled Amalgam. You can see the basic design elements were in place even back then, except it was designed around a liner lock:
20140507_020444.jpg
20140512_162012-02.jpg
A lot to like with this design. It's been a while since I bought anything in S30V - it's time!

Any idea when they'll be released?

David
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

If only were smaller. Alas.
ekimox

Post by ekimox »

gundamaniac wrote:Flipping action and compression lock manipulation for those who are concerned with these aspects of the knife. I'm right handed and am able to easily manipulate the lock with either hand. I can also easily open the knife with the flipper using either hand. The action is nice, good enough that I can break the blade open just past the ball detent and still flip it open against gravity with my weak hand :spyder:

20140507_020444.jpg
20140512_162012-02.jpg
I need this in my life :) Any idea on when it's going to be released?
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

For those of you for whom the Amalgam is too large, what's a good size for a knife for you? The Amalgam hovers right around a 3.8" blade. I currently carry a 3.5" blade, and used to carry a 3.25" blade. I understand some require under 3" for certain jurisdictions, which is another consideration. But just wanted to get a feel for what kind of blade length people are looking for.

As for release date, your guess is as good as mine at this point. As RamZar said in the SHOT Show thread, there will likely be more details after the collector's meet and IWA. I want to know as badly as you guys :D
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

3.8 sounds good to me, I just need under 4 inches for legal reasons. Got a Dice for the 'under 2.5' areas, but my normal preferred carries (Southard, Slysz Bowie, PM2, Atlantic Salt) are all around 3.5.

The Atlantic Salt is my current longest blade at over 3.6 inches long, and it's proven to be very handy. I'm looking forward to seeing how much more useful a longer slicey blade is.

EDIT: If you're still taking measurements, I'm curious as to how the distal taper works on the Amalgam. Mind taking some thickness readings at the tip, an inch back from the tip, 2 inches, etc?

Can't get enough! :spyder: :D

EDIT 2: The action video looks fantastic. Looks like you're using a push-button flipping style. Does the Amalgam work with a light-switch flipping style? Based on the detent I've seen so far, it looks like it would. More videos? :D
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

curlyhairedboy wrote:I think my favorite thing about it is the blade shape. A conventional drop point with a long straight- coupled with a full flat grind, a flipper, AND a functional spydiehole.
Funny, those were the exact two things I was thinking that I didn’t like about the blade shape. Obviously, that doesn’t make either one of us right or wrong, just different taste. Likely based mostly on differences in the knife chores we perform but probably also some on what appeals to us aesthetically. Thankfully though Spyderco doesn’t only make knives that appeal to me or they would be missing out on a ton of sales. :)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Surfingringo wrote:
curlyhairedboy wrote:I think my favorite thing about it is the blade shape. A conventional drop point with a long straight- coupled with a full flat grind, a flipper, AND a functional spydiehole.
Funny, those were the exact two things I was thinking that I didn’t like about the blade shape. Obviously, that doesn’t make either one of us right or wrong, just different taste. Likely based mostly on differences in the knife chores we perform but probably also some on what appeals to us aesthetically. Thankfully though Spyderco doesn’t only make knives that appeal to me or they would be missing out on a ton of sales. :)

ETA: I’m still anxious to get one of these in hand at Blade though. The handle on his one looks very comfortable and I think it would be right up my alley. I think the handle of a knife tends to say much more about a designer than a particular blade shape.