Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gundamaniac

Re: Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Post by gundamaniac »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:43 pm
Hey Brian, I did indeed get to handle the Amalgam today at Blade and just as I suspected based on the photos, the handle fits like a glove. I think the Amalgam had my favorite ergonomics of anything in the prototype cabinet. Like I said, it wasn’t my favorite blade shape in the cabinet but I suspect most will love it. I think what you did with that handle says far more about your skill as a maker than whatever blade shape you chose for this particular design. Kudos. A+ on this one!
Thanks Lance! That really means a lot to me. I consider ergonomics to be one of Spyderco's strengths, so I'm really glad you liked the handle and that I didn't bugger up that aspect of the design. Wish I could have made it to Blade to meet you and the Spyderco crew.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Recently got a sliverax. This thing has me pumped for the amalgam!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TheOklahomie

Post by TheOklahomie »

Hi im pretty new to the Forums but I am not new to Spyderco at all, have had them for years. Anyway I was curious about the dimensions width wise IE the distance between the back of the handle and the back of the knife when its closed (maybe some pictures? vs manix 2 or pm2?)because everything makes me very very very interested because I love the design and the fact that it is a flipper+ compression lock and its on ball bearings is just :spyder: AMAZING! also maybe an ETA? I know people have asked you alor probably and It doesn't matter that much as soon as I get paid its getting preordered lol. Really really hope this knife kicks off amazingly I WANT SOME SPRINT RUNS ALREADY :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :D
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Hi TheOklahomie, thanks for the all the enthusiasm! I'd also love for the design to do well enough to get some sprints. Unfortunately, I don't have any updates on ETA yet, but I'm definitely excited about it being in the mid-year catalog (and seeing Nick Shabazz mention it when he did his mid year catalog video).

As for the dimension you requested, it's approximately 1.4 inches between the spine of the blade and the back of the handle when closed. Sorry, I don't have pictures of it side by side with a Manix when closed, but here is one with them opened:
06_21_18_08_51_00_IMG_20180208_151908.jpg
Last edited by gundamaniac on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheOklahomie

Post by TheOklahomie »

gundamaniac wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:12 pm
Hi TheOklahomie, thanks for the all the enthusiasm! I'd also love for the design to do well enough to get some sprints. Unfortunately, I don't have any updates on ETA yet, but I'm definitely excited about it being in the mid-year catalog (and seeing Nick Shabazz mention it when he did his mid year catalog video).

As for the dimension you requested, it's approximately 1.4 inches between the spine of the blade and the back of the handle when closed. Sorry, I don't have pictures of it side by side with a Manix when closed, but here is one with them opened (the graph paper grid size is 1/4"):06_21_18_08_51_00_IMG_20180208_151908.jpg
a little on the wider side than I like but im so sold on the design it doesn't really matter lol :D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Looking forward to this one. I saw it at the Blade Show and it’s pretty sweet! :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Really hoping it releases sometime soon! :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Sal, any updates on this? Thanks!
Chan-daman45

Post by Chan-daman45 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:16 am
Sal, any updates on this? Thanks!
I second this. Lol
sdmf74

Post by sdmf74 »

I really thought this would be in my hands by now, I wonder what is holding it up?
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Should on track for sometime this Fall, last I heard. Keeping my fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I've finally kicked my XM out of its permanent place in my pocket for the past 3 years (it sort of has a special sentimental value to me) and am rotating it with a Manix2LW and a PM2. Having dabbled on designing a knife, I really appreciate Sal's and Eric's thoughtfulness in their designs even more now.
sdmf74

Post by sdmf74 »

Yeah I love my orange manix2lw, it fits the hand like no other knife
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

gundamaniac wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:00 pm
Should on track for sometime this Fall, last I heard. Keeping my fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I've finally kicked my XM out of its permanent place in my pocket for the past 3 years (it sort of has a special sentimental value to me) and am rotating it with a Manix2LW and a PM2. Having dabbled on designing a knife, I really appreciate Sal's and Eric's thoughtfulness in their designs even more now.
Good to know!
afalcone

Post by afalcone »

Any updates?? Growing excited!!
sdmf74

Post by sdmf74 »

Im losing interest, waiting 6 months is nonsense. Especially since they have brought 9 different knives to market since this one was announced.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Progress is being made ;) :
09_20_18_08_34_57_IMG_3190~2.JPG
Last edited by gundamaniac on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Is that a recent photo? :D

Are we talking a month? A week? :D
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I'm normally opposed to choils but that's because they normally don't make any sense to include on a design. If this one didn't have a choil there'd be a big distance between the first finger and the start of the edge. It seems right on this model.

And i really like the original design of the amalgam even though it was denied. It looks like a big honking knife meant to seriously cut regardless of the environment. It was a looker, for sure.

The final product is just meh. It looks good but not enough to get me to open my wallet for that price considering the steel. Had it been m4, 4v, or 204p or similar, then it'd have been good to go. I've noticed 5hat about spyderco though. They initially play it super safe with new designs and put steels most people don't care about. Had they just slapped in something like 204p or something from the outset, many of these designs wouldn't fall by the wayside.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Thanks for the feedback on the choil. I happen to agree with you here :)

I also liked the first foamboard mockup. Maybe I need to try to get a job at Spyderco; then it wouldn't matter that my style is too close to the in-house style, since I would actually be in-house! Hey, a guy can dream :D

I can see the perspective on the steel. I was originally lobbying for CPM20CV (or M390 or CTS204p) myself. My last two long term EDC folders were M390/CPM20CV. But then again my first long term EDC folder was a Buck Vantage in S30V back when it was /the/ supersteel to have, so it kind of feels like I've come around full circle. I feel old haha :o
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

gundamaniac wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:20 pm
Thanks for the feedback on the choil. I happen to agree with you here :)

I also liked the first foamboard mockup. Maybe I need to try to get a job at Spyderco; then it wouldn't matter that my style is too close to the in-house style, since I would actually be in-house! Hey, a guy can dream :D

I can see the perspective on the steel. I was originally lobbying for CPM20CV (or M390 or CTS204p) myself. My last two long term EDC folders were M390/CPM20CV. But then again my first long term EDC folder was a Buck Vantage in S30V back when it was /the/ supersteel to have, so it kind of feels like I've come around full circle. I feel old haha :o
I just saw the YouTube video of the knife. I looks much more interesting than the pics led me to originally believe. Well done designing that knife and it does look like spyderco resolved the bearing issue. That's awesome on all accounts!
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.