Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gundamaniac

Re: Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Post by gundamaniac »

Zatx wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:05 pm
gundamaniac wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:20 pm

2. I could see that, but might instead propose widening the lock tab itself; taking a look at other compression lock knives like the Sliverax, the tab extends more towards the back of the cutout to give more real estate for the finger to press on for closing.

I don't have any pictures of it yet, but I oh so subtly sanded a larger opening to get at the lock bar. At the same time, I moved the now more rounded opening further to the rear as you suggested here. Now my fingertip has more real estate on the lock bar, and it no longer causes pain.
I'd love to see pictures of this mod if you get the chance :)
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Here you go:

I may take it down a bit more after a few days.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I dunno, if the Spydiegods wanted it to look that way.......
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

This thing almost works as a front flipper too. I can slow roll it open with my thumb on the jimping. I’m contemplating removing a little material from the guard to make it a little easier...
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Looks pretty well done! If you take it a little further back, it'll have great symmetry with the index finger groove :D

Edit: didnt see your reply, spyderg. You've got strong fingers! I gave it a try and wasn't able to make it happen. Got a video or anything? :D
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

gundamaniac wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:33 pm
Looks pretty well done! If you take it a little further back, it'll have great symmetry with the index finger groove :D

Unfortunately I’m limited by the liners under the scale. I still have about 1/8th of an inch to go down but nowhere near that much to move to the left. :(
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Crux wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:24 pm

My God gave me free will (and salvation), so I’m free to tinker with the design and manufacture of my knife. Besides, Brian (the designer) suggested it. :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:35 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:18 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:35 pm
Holeshot sent me some pictures of his mod. Since I’m using Imgur I can only post one picture a day, so I had to combine both photos into one. Thanks for sending it to me.

imgur lets you upload as much as you want.
Not for me. Says I have to wait 3000 seconds or so to upload a second picture.
App or website? I've never received that message using www.imgur.com/upload from mobile or desktop.
:unicorn
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Zatx wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:51 pm
Crux wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:24 pm

My God gave me free will (and salvation), so I’m free to tinker with the design and manufacture of my knife. Besides, Brian (the designer) suggested it. :)

To be fair and give credit where credit's due, the suggestion to open up the lock cutout actually originated from curlyhairedboy; I merely suggested lengthening the lockbar tab itself. But your mod does look nicely done! Good point, I forgot about the nested liner and the amount of G10 border you had to play around with. In any event, if it works well for you this way, more power to you! :spyder: I've got nothing against modding knives to suit your needs; after all, everyone has a different perspective, and all the design choices that went into this knife from my end were basically driven by customizing it to suit me haha.

Keep the feedback and mods coming! It's quite fascinating to me to see what y'all come up with ;)
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

gundamaniac wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:33 pm

Edit: didnt see your reply, spyderg. You've got strong fingers! I gave it a try and wasn't able to make it happen. Got a video or anything? :D
Strong thumb anyways. I doubt I can post a video on here, have to play games just getting my pics small enough to post. Not sure how to make a link work, (tried before but it never works). You on FB?
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:59 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:35 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:18 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:35 pm
Holeshot sent me some pictures of his mod. Since I’m using Imgur I can only post one picture a day, so I had to combine both photos into one. Thanks for sending it to me.

imgur lets you upload as much as you want.
Not for me. Says I have to wait 3000 seconds or so to upload a second picture.
App or website? I've never received that message using www.imgur.com/upload from mobile or desktop.

Yup the website let me do more than one. Thanks.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

gundamaniac wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:12 pm
spyderg wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:05 am
Might tweak it a bit yet but gonna see how i like it first.F1B81109-AA96-44CA-9D69-09FFE091E2F4.jpeg
Nice mod spyderg! That looks pretty slick, I really like the swedge you put on the blade (I originally wanted a swedge on the Amalgam). Back when I first got into knives, I didnt appreciate clip points the way I do now; in the time since, I've grown to like long clip points quite a lot and your mod certainly fits the bill.
Inspiration?
9BB5654C-E2B8-4FB1-AA9A-D7A659EB9974.jpeg
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

So what drew me to this knife, and what I’m really liking is the handle. I’ve got fairly large hands and find too many knives too small. Even the PM2 leaves me a little crammed in there. I even sand the back groove to allow a touch more room but in order for my thumb to sit on the ramp, it’s still a tight fit. With a large handle and no ramp, my hand fits on the Amalgam!
My Manix2 works well but your limited on grip positions, I thought my ZT452 would work with its long handle but it’s a squeeze for my fingers there too. Ontario Rat1 pretty good but not as comfortable or grippy.
I could go on but I think you get the picture, good for large hands, particularly if you’ve got a large “hitchhiker” thumb like me.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

spyderg wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:59 pm
gundamaniac wrote:
spyderg wrote:
Might tweak it a bit yet but gonna see how i like it first.F1B81109-AA96-44CA-9D69-09FFE091E2F4.jpeg
Nice mod spyderg! That looks pretty slick, I really like the swedge you put on the blade (I originally wanted a swedge on the Amalgam). Back when I first got into knives, I didnt appreciate clip points the way I do now; in the time since, I've grown to like long clip points quite a lot and your mod certainly fits the bill.
Inspiration?9BB5654C-E2B8-4FB1-AA9A-D7A659EB9974.jpeg
That is GORGEOUS!!!!

I WANT IT NAO!!!!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

spyderg wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:59 pm
gundamaniac wrote:
spyderg wrote:
Inspiration?9BB5654C-E2B8-4FB1-AA9A-D7A659EB9974.jpeg
Very cool spyderg! May I ask what the traditional is? It looks very nice, and I could do with an upgrade to my Case stockman in my American traditional slippy game (at least, I'm assuming your traditional is American, no offense intended if it isn't).

As for the handle, I have small to medium sized hands, but I did want the Amalgam to work for those with larger hands as well. So I'm really glad to hear that you're liking the handle :)
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

The traditional is a GEC #74. This one is an SFO for Apostlep, (YouTube knife reviewer and sharpener) “Heartland Clip”. Case makes a nice knife but GEC is definitely a step up, they also make the Northwoods line for KSF. But those are hard to get new. Also look at Enigma knives if your into higher end steels. There are of course others but we’ve gone far enough of course here already, lol!
Back to the Amalgam, the more I use it the more I like it. The handle size, shape and lack of thumb ramp just works so well for my hand. I like the ramp for some tasks but it’s never far enough forward for my thumb.
It carries even better than I had hoped. Just nice combination of weight, shape, clip position and angle.
The action on mine out of box is perfect. Drop shutty with only a tiny hint of side play, I’ll adjust after a week or two of break in. I have no doubt I can get it just right. My mod doesn’t seem to effect that. Now I’m usually an advocate for firm detents but mine is of no concern. It is light but plenty strong enough to hold the blade in place and allow for reliable deployment. The flipper tab is no issue closing either. I’m a lefty so typically I use two step closing on compression locks anyways but it works one step closing although not as easy left handed. Right handed I got it right on the first try, and I’ve got limited right hand dexterity, (on my already non-dominant hand) due to a severe hand injury a few years back so I don’t understand the complaints about flipper tabs on compression locks?
This will now be my go-to larger knife. (Prob going to thin the herd soon, modern and traditional but this one’s a keeper!)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I can’t stop carrying this knife. It’s just too fun.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:29 pm

I can’t stop carrying this knife. It’s just too fun.

Right there with you, brother... well, not in BC, but sharing your love for the Amalgam!
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Love the knife, blade shape is phenominal. I love nearly everything about it.The only issue I have is that it eats my finger when I flip it. I cannot seem to flip it more than 3 or 4 times and I rake my finger across the lock and I stop playing with it. anyone else having this issue?
I ran out of room to list all my spyderco's :(
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Killswitch wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:32 pm
Love the knife, blade shape is phenominal. I love nearly everything about it.The only issue I have is that it eats my finger when I flip it. I cannot seem to flip it more than 3 or 4 times and I rake my finger across the lock and I stop playing with it. anyone else having this issue?
It noticed it the first day or two, then I guess a combination of flipping till my finger went numb and a callous forming plus perhaps unconsciously learning to flip it in a way that avoids it, all good now, lol!
Really though I had considered rounding the corner a little, and extending the relief to access the lock tab but after a couple days I’m happy with it as is. Really enjoying my clip mod too.
The only reason I put it down was with the news of the Smock shipping next week, I had to grab my SK23...