Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gundamaniac

Re: Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Post by gundamaniac »

Nice job holeshot! Looks like you did a nice job. Got any pics of it partially open to show the clearance in the lock cutout, and fully open to further show the flipper delete?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Been carrying this and I'm getting a lot of compliments!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:13 pm

Me too. My wife constantly compliments me on my ability to constantly spend money. ;)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:43 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:13 pm

Me too. My wife constantly compliments me on my ability to constantly spend money. ;)
Ha! It's not a cheap hobby, that's for sure. Glad you're still enjoying the knife curlyhairedboy!
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

gundamaniac/Brian,

I just received my Amalgam, and I am very impressed by your design. The ergonomics are excellent; the knife naturally fits in hand. The knife is amazingly light and thin for its size; you could easily think it was linerless. I guess the biggest compliment that I can give you is that the Amalgam is going to push my long-time go-to the PM2 out of my pocket more often than not.

The only knocks I can give the knife aren't as a result of your design; one is based on the knife being a flipper (the tab), and the other is the weak detent that is a common problem from Taichung. Having carried the PM2 for so many years, I'm a thumbhole flipper so I'll probably remove that pesky tab asap. I'll also adjust the detent this evening. But, I must compliment Taichung as well, because they have made small, yet essential, improvements to their manufacturing. I see that they now bevel the inside liner side of their scales, and the Spydie hole has been buffed/sanded to remove its traditionally oversharp edge.

Thank you for the many hours you spent working on your design, you're hard work paid off handsomely (and I hope your deal with Spyderco puts some money in your pocket as well). In the future, I would love to see the Amalgam appear in an additional smaller model similar to the PM2/PM3 variations, as well as more designs from you.

Also a big thanks to Spyderco for refining the design and incorporating cost savings that result in the Amalgam being an amazingly affordable large, high-quality knife. The Spyderco factory outlet team also threw a surprise in my shipment, a free knife packaged in a beautiful presentation box. Thanks, Spyderco!

(EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to add, this was the first time in a very long time that I didn't have to change clips or clip position! This might be the first Spyderco model in which I use the stock pocket clip.)

(EDIT #2: And... this is the sharpest knife I've ever received from any maker; I can't wait to put it under my new 250x digital microscope tonight! Remarkably, with the unaided eye, there is no apparent micro-bevel or burr present.)
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Starting to think about CQI tweaks on this. It's a short list because it's already a great knife.

1: larger detent ball. With a larger diameter, the lockbar has to move more to get out of the hole and this greater deflection means you need less pressure from the lockbar to begin with.

2.Slightly larger compression lock cutout. Recently used the Amalgam with gloves, and while opening with thumbhole and flipper was not an issue, releasing the lock was more difficult than on the Shaman. The shaman is easier probably due to the rounded scales, but a larger cutout might help.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:38 pm
Starting to think about CQI tweaks on this. It's a short list because it's already a great knife.

1: larger detent ball. With a larger diameter, the lockbar has to move more to get out of the hole and this greater deflection means you need less pressure from the lockbar to begin with.

2.Slightly larger compression lock cutout. Recently used the Amalgam with gloves, and while opening with thumbhole and flipper was not an issue, releasing the lock was more difficult than on the Shaman. The shaman is easier probably due to the rounded scales, but a larger cutout might help.
Thanks for the feedback! My comments on your comments:

1. I'd counter with a slightly wider detent hole rather than a larger diameter detent ball, which would sink more of the current ball into the detent hole and increase the detent strength without needing to mess with the compression lock spring strength.

2. I could see that, but might instead propose widening the lock tab itself; taking a look at other compression lock knives like the Sliverax, the tab extends more towards the back of the cutout to give more real estate for the finger to press on for closing.

Keep the observations coming, the more constructive feedback I see the more I learn!

Edit: thanks for the compliments Zatx! That is indeed very flattering :D
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Valid points, those improvements would also address the same concerns from a different perspective!
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

gundamaniac wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:20 pm

Keep the observations coming, the more constructive feedback I see the more I learn!

You're welcome! And ironically given the comments about the lockbar tab, the only time I picked up a PM2 since getting my Amalgam was to give my index finger a rest. It freaking hurts from releasing the blade so often in the last few days!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Zatx wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 pm
gundamaniac wrote:

You're welcome! And ironically given the comments about the lockbar tab, the only time I picked up a PM2 since getting my Amalgam was to give my index finger a rest. It freaking hurts from releasing the blade so often in the last few days!
that's one of the reasons I'm carrying the shaman, haha. I fidget with it less :P
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Haha! I totally understand. Mine has broken in to the point that it is very nearly drop shut with no blade play. After pressing the lock tab, it just takes the barest shake for the blade to swing all the way back closed. Every time I use it I can't help but fidget a bit and open and close it a few more times than I actually need to just because I find the action on my example to be so enjoyable.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I think Taichung has been knocking these bearing comp lock flippers out of the park when it comes to action (aside from the chronic detent weakness, but that's easily fixed). I've been able to get my sliverax and amalgam to be drop shut with no blade play, and they both feel a lot more solid than some of the bearing framelock flippers of years past. CQI on the pivots is really done well.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

I'd love to see them move your maker's mark and the Spyderco logo behind the hole like on the Subvert

Reference image:

Crux

Post by Crux »

You bought a flipper and then removed the flipper?
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Personally I like the flipper, and as a lefty I typically close my compression lock knives in two steps anyway. I did however mod the blade shape, nothing wrong with the way it was but I like a pointier tip and to my eye it just suits it..
90410C10-7B31-4D1C-8E02-1A1C9D5D1FE6.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Might tweak it a bit yet but gonna see how i like it first.
F1B81109-AA96-44CA-9D69-09FFE091E2F4.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

spyderg wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:05 am
Might tweak it a bit yet but gonna see how i like it first.F1B81109-AA96-44CA-9D69-09FFE091E2F4.jpeg
Nice mod spyderg! That looks pretty slick, I really like the swedge you put on the blade (I originally wanted a swedge on the Amalgam). Back when I first got into knives, I didnt appreciate clip points the way I do now; in the time since, I've grown to like long clip points quite a lot and your mod certainly fits the bill.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:35 pm
Holeshot sent me some pictures of his mod. Since I’m using Imgur I can only post one picture a day, so I had to combine both photos into one. Thanks for sending it to me.

imgur lets you upload as much as you want.
:unicorn
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

gundamaniac wrote:

2. I could see that, but might instead propose widening the lock tab itself; taking a look at other compression lock knives like the Sliverax, the tab extends more towards the back of the cutout to give more real estate for the finger to press on for closing.

I don't have any pictures of it yet, but I oh so subtly sanded a larger opening to get at the lock bar. At the same time, I moved the now more rounded opening further to the rear as you suggested here. Now my fingertip has more real estate on the lock bar, and it no longer causes pain.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:18 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:35 pm
Holeshot sent me some pictures of his mod. Since I’m using Imgur I can only post one picture a day, so I had to combine both photos into one. Thanks for sending it to me.

imgur lets you upload as much as you want.
Not for me. Says I have to wait 3000 seconds or so to upload a second picture.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra