Japanese Equivalent of Cruwear (or 3V, 4V, PD-1)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Japanese Equivalent of Cruwear (or 3V, 4V, PD-1)

Post by steelcity16 »

Are there any Japanese steels that Spyderco could use on the Seki/Moki models that are similar to Cruwear or any of the other hard wear steels like 3V, 4V, and PD-1?

I would like to see some sprints in the Japanese models with a tough steel like this. Caly 3, Worker, and G10 Dragonfly would be cool. I know they are all smaller knives and don't really need anything that tough, but me likes what me likes! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
xceptnl

Re: Japanese Equivalent of Cruwear (or 3V, 4V, PD-1)

Post by xceptnl »

steelcity16 wrote:Are there any Japanese steels that Spyderco could use on the Seki/Moki models that are similar to Cruwear or any of the other hard wear steels like 3V, 4V, and PD-1?

I would like to see some sprints in the Japanese models with a tough steel like this. Caly 3, Worker, and G10 Dragonfly would be cool. I know they are all smaller knives and don't really need anything that tough, but me likes what me likes! :)
Perhaps not as tough as it is typically run harder, but I have been wanting to try SRS-15 (1.5%C, 13%Cr, 2.75% Mo, 1.25%W, 1.5%V) I think it would be tough enough for most edc folders.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
elena86

Post by elena86 »

SRS15. I started a thread on this steel a few months ago.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

YSS HAP 5R would be it. https://www.hitachi-metals.co.jp/e/yss/ ... hap5r.html

It's their ( Hitachi's) toughest powder steel and pretty much square in the target area we are talking about. I'd personally love to try this one out. These are a sort of combination of HSS and cold work tool steels and can be used for either to an extent depending on the heat treat selected. Pretty versatile just like CPM Cruwear.

Joe
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I've been hoping to try out SRS 15 in a folder with a heat treat designed for our uses too. I also think that yes, it isn't quite as tough as Cruwear ( 1.5% Carbon) but it would be fine for our use and maybe it might be slightly ahead of XHP in some ways.

Joe
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Mastiff wrote:YSS HAP 5R would be it. https://www.hitachi-metals.co.jp/e/yss/ ... hap5r.html

It's their ( Hitachi's) toughest powder steel and pretty much square in the target area we are talking about. I'd personally love to try this one out. These are a sort of combination of HSS and cold work tool steels and can be used for either to an extent depending on the heat treat selected. Pretty versatile just like CPM Cruwear.

Joe

Very cool, has anyone made knives out of Hap5R? May be a good mule to try out.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I haven't seen or heard of any knives with this yet. It doesn't surprise me. It's probably not the highest selling steel in Hitachis catalog and finding steel like that can be hit or miss when dealing with the small quantities involved in knives. The steel not only has to be excess from another order but it also needs to be in sizes useful to knife making.

There are a bunch of steels out there that would probably make great knives that we will never get a chance to try out. This may or may not be one of them. If the steel ever comes available then the other decisions come in such as scheduling the production time to do it balancing with the decisions like how much more money can they make scheduling something else more in demand.

That is why each and every mule is a kind of surprise for me and I almost think of them as gifts from Spyderco to us steel/knife knuts rather than stand alone items from Spyderco's catalog. I'd be surprised very much if Spyderco got reimbursed for the actual costs of the Mule team program over it's life and I'd bet money pretty confidently knowing they could have made a lot more money using that production capacity to make the knives always seemingly in short supply.

joe
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Mastiff wrote:
I haven't seen or heard of any knives with this yet. It doesn't surprise me. It's probably not the highest selling steel in Hitachis catalog and finding steel like that can be hit or miss when dealing with the small quantities involved in knives. The steel not only has to be excess from another order but it also needs to be in sizes useful to knife making.

There are a bunch of steels out there that would probably make great knives that we will never get a chance to try out. This may or may not be one of them. If the steel ever comes available then the other decisions come in such as scheduling the production time to do it balancing with the decisions like how much more money can they make scheduling something else more in demand.

That is why each and every mule is a kind of surprise for me and I almost think of them as gifts from Spyderco to us steel/knife knuts rather than stand alone items from Spyderco's catalog. I'd be surprised very much if Spyderco got reimbursed for the actual costs of the Mule team program over it's life and I'd bet money pretty confidently knowing they could have made a lot more money using that production capacity to make the knives always seemingly in short supply.

joe

Very interesting insight. I wonder why we aren't seeing any 4V folders now that the mule has been done and has been out for awhile. I'd be all over any of the Golden-made folders in 4V.
attila

Post by attila »

steelcity16 wrote: ...I wonder why we aren't seeing any 4V folders now that the mule has been done and has been out for awhile. I'd be all over any of the Golden-made folders in 4V.
We probably haven't seen more CPM 4V partly because it's right between CPM Cruwear and CPM M4 in wear resistance, toughness, and maybe corrosion resistance, and both of these steels are much more famous. I would like it used more by Spyderco as well, as 4V is one of the more excellent steels that I have used, but there just doesn't seem to have been enough demand for Spyderco to implement it yet. Just look at how slow CPM Cruwear is at getting made in new models after hundreds of requests just on this forum alone. With the Ankerson Bowie coming in 4V, I'm sure people will want more of what is in the spotlight, but it won't be quick.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

attila wrote:
steelcity16 wrote: ...I wonder why we aren't seeing any 4V folders now that the mule has been done and has been out for awhile. I'd be all over any of the Golden-made folders in 4V.
We probably haven't seen more CPM 4V partly because it's right between CPM Cruwear and CPM M4 in wear resistance, toughness, and maybe corrosion resistance, and both of these steels are much more famous. I would like it used more by Spyderco as well, as 4V is one of the more excellent steels that I have used, but there just doesn't seem to have been enough demand for Spyderco to implement it yet. Just look at how slow CPM Cruwear is at getting made in new models after hundreds of requests just on this forum alone. With the Ankerson Bowie coming in 4V, I'm sure people will want more of what is in the spotlight, but it won't be quick.
Yeah, but throw some fancy scales and hardware on it in a 1200 piece sprint run and they will sell out in a few days. DLC coated 4V in Red G10 scales with DLC black hardware? Instant sellout for any Golden-Made model. Same if you did 3V...probably an even fast sellout in that case!
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

steelcity16 wrote:
attila wrote:
Yeah, but throw some fancy scales and hardware on it in a 1200 piece sprint run and they will sell out in a few days. DLC coated 4V in Red G10 scales with DLC black hardware? Instant sellout for any Golden-Made model. Same if you did 3V...probably an even fast sellout in that case!
I'd definitely jump on a folder in 4V (Mili please), but not dressed in red scales ;) That's just me. I don't like flash. Burnt orange is as bright as I'll go, blaze is a no-go, a dark red might be ok, but not bright. So I want mine in dark green, gray, tan, brown, earth tones. I'd even go for one in the new burl G10! Yeah, do that one for a Mili or PM2 with 4V blade :)

But definitely keep the 4V talk going!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:00 am

Joe

I hope we see this (YSS HAP 5R) or SRS15 in the Seki knives soon. Solid though, not clad. It would seriously make me look twice at the Seki lineup as I currently only have the DF2 in non-salt form. Id definitely grab a delica, endura, and stretch to try in either of these steels, in addition to the df2.

Id also really like to see Solid Hap40 in the future.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I think hap40 would give all those steels a run for their money in the tough department.
I'd also like a solid blade of it.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:36 pm
jpm2 wrote: I think hap40 would give all those steels a run for their money in the tough department.
The upcoming Rex45 sprint is essentially that. It's US made and heat treated, but it's Hap 40 equivalent is it not? And it's going to be unclad (solid).
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:44 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:36 pm
jpm2 wrote: I think hap40 would give all those steels a run for their money in the tough department.
The upcoming Rex45 sprint is essentially that. It's US made and heat treated, but it's Hap 40 equivalent is it not? And it's going to be unclad (solid).

Yes, I agree with all of that. I was stating more how I wanted solid Hap40 due to there not really being any good unclad options for these types of steels specifically in the Seki models like the Delica, Strech, DF2, and Endura. I would love to see them do a new run of sprints for those models with solid Hap40.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:00 am

Joe

Sounds like a winner. If we could get the next round of Seki sprints in unclad Hap 5R Id be in heaven. Especially if they threw a Jester and Wharnie Delica in the mix! I vote for White FRN and TiCN coated blades and hardware! :D
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Hopefully all of the interest in CRUWEAR and 4V as of late has inspired Spyderco to research SRS15 and Hap5R to try to bring a similar steel into the Seki models. Models like the Police, Endura, Stretch, Endela, Delica, Dragonfly, Calys, Jester (need a new one soon!) etc would all be awesome in a steel of this class. Unclad would be my preference.

I have a feeling K390 is next in line for a round of Seki sprints, but SRS15 or Hap5R (or something else along these lines) would be a VERY welcome surprise!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:26 am

joe
Yes indeed. Well said. We need to be appreciative. We're just lucky that Spyderco has people as crazy as some of us.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Wait, so did St. Nick's steal my idea for their Para 3??? I'm flattered!! :D But where is my commission?? :p And can I assume a 3V Para 3 is going to follow???
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:45 am
Very interesting insight. I wonder why we aren't seeing any 4V folders now that the mule has been done and has been out for awhile. I'd be all over any of the Golden-made folders in 4V.
We aren't?

I'm pretty sure I have a golden made 4v folder.